Thread: Laptop keeps dropping internet connect

Angry Laptop keeps dropping internet connect

Hi, new here.

I keep having a problem with my laptop dropping my internet connection.

I have a Toshiba Laptop that is 2 years old, operating Windows XP. I have Time Warner Cable internet, no wireless router.

So the problem: I will be going along just fine for awhile, then all the sudden the connection drops, and the modem's lights show that it is not connected. I called my ISP, and they confirmed they were seeing that the connection was lost.

I have replaced the modem 3 times, and had Geek Squad come out and we ended up reloading the PC entirely. He mentioned he thought something was causing my computer to "reset" the modem.

So after reloading the computer, and replacing the modem, everything worked fine for a couple of months. Now all the sudden, it's doing it again. I can go for hours, then it will just drop the connection. And I cannot manually reset it.

I'm considering dumping cable internet and switching to FiOS, hoping that if I don't have a modem it will fix the problem.

Any ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

How are your signal levels?

http://192.168.100.1

I really dont believe this was your original problem but something could have changed.

Personally- Id find a cheap broadband router to put between the modem and the laptop. Maybe even a wireless one to let you roam. Helps by providing a layer between you and the outside.

Your original problem could have been dhcp related. You could have picked up a virus or spyware that took out your connection. Lots of variables.

What antivirus are you running? Checked for spyware lately?
    Never take any crap off an inanimate object!!

Never send email to this address: spam@euclidian.com. This is a spam trap and everyone sending any email to this address will be blacklisted.

Here were my signal levels:

Frequency 615000000 Hz

Signal To Noise Ratio 36.5 dB

Power Level -6.3 dBmV
    The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream Value
    Channel ID 1
    Frequency 19500000 Hz
    Power 45.3 dBmV

Funny you should ask about antivirus and spyware. I'm currently not running anything since they reloaded my PC. I just bought both of them at Best Buy and looking to install today. Trend Micro Antivirus and Webroot Spy Sweeper.

You probably want to start here then http://forums.speedguide.net/forumdisplay.php?f=46

Theres a good chance you could have to rebuild your operating system again. The average time for an unpatched, computer from the time its connected to the internet till its be infected is about twenty minutes. But go to that link first.

Try this too http://usa.kaspersky.com/products_se...us-scanner.php

I personally like Kaspersky Antivirus Products.
    www.kaspersky.com

Good Luck!

Never send email to this address: spam@euclidian.com. This is a spam trap and everyone sending any email to this address will be blacklisted.

Quote Originally Posted by erickaom View Post
    So the problem: I will be going along just fine for awhile, then all the sudden the connection drops, and the modem's lights show that it is not connected. I called my ISP, and they confirmed they were seeing that the connection was lost.

this alone tells me its the ISP's issue and they need to come out and look at your lines and so forth. Could be packetloss at a hop on their network which they need to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    this alone tells me its the ISP's issue and they need to come out and look at your lines and so forth. Could be packetloss at a hop on their network which they need to fix.
    Yep- many issues here that need to be dealt with.

The connection between the modem and the computer going bad can cause the loss of the Ethernet Light and show the loss of connection their seeing. I have seen driver issues that take out the adapter for what ever reason and cause this.

The Receive and Send lights going out are an indication of loss of modem connection and show issues with the cable connection. Call the cable company if this is happening.

This comment...
    I'm currently not running anything since they reloaded my PC.
    grabs my attention for obvious reasons. I wont even deal with my customers unless they deal with their security first. I will help and get them going with it, but it is first! I guess I just dont like getting their return business...

Call me cynical...

BTW- the signal levels look fine but look at them the next time you lose connection. Might help you to diagnose...

I hope you get speeds like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shoreke View Post
    I hope you get speeds like this.

I hope I can just get a tenth of that...