Thread: Good Signal With Disconnects???

Question Good Signal With Disconnects???

I have an good signal but frequent disconnects?

My signals levels are
    DownStream Power = -13 dbmv

SNR = 32

Upstream Power = 55.3

Oh, And my signal splits about 3 times before my modem and twice after.

Quote Originally Posted by Theinventor98 View Post

Upstream Power = 55.3

this is rather high.. cause if it spikes over 56 I think you will get disconnected. Have them come down and test it which I'm sure they will see it also and have to lower it at the drop. Do your part too by trying to get rid of any splitters between the outside box and your modem.

I have an good signal but frequent disconnects?

My signals levels are
    DownStream Power = -13 dbmv

SNR = 32

Upstream Power = 55.3

Oh, And my signal splits about 3 times before my modem and twice after.
    Think of the upstream power figure as "how loud your modem has to talk to be heard by the headend"

Now 33dBmV is a whisper. 55dBmV is shouting.

Now the question... why is your modem shouting at the headend? Is it due to other noise in the room or because its so far away?? Or a combination of both?

You need to get some of those splitters out of the equation.
    The ones before the modem! The ones after should have no effect. Run a line from the first splitter to the modem and your signal levels should be better...

Good Luck!
    Never take any crap off an inanimate object!!

Never send email to this address: spam@euclidian.com. This is a spam trap and everyone sending any email to this address will be blacklisted.

Quote Originally Posted by chpalmer View Post
    Think of the upstream power figure as "how loud your modem has to talk to be heard by the headend"

Now 33dBmV is a whisper. 55dBmV is shouting.

Now the question... why is your modem shouting at the headend? Is it due to other noise in the room or because its so far away?? Or a combination of both?

You need to get some of those splitters out of the equation.
    The ones before the modem! The ones after should have no effect. Run a line from the first splitter to the modem and your signal levels should be better...

Good Luck!
    I think i covered everything you already said earlier...

Thanks For the responses, I will try to take out some splitters and check that out but one question... How Will a tech "lower the upstream dbmv power"??? By removing a splitter??? Through the power lines???

Thanks For the responses, I will try to take out some splitters and check that out but one question... How Will a tech "lower the upstream dbmv power"??? By removing a splitter??? Through the power lines???
    By removing a splitter or changing stuff at the box I believe.

Ok... SO I REMOVED ALL SPITTERS SO I COULD REDO THE ORDER OF THEM... NOW IT IS SPLIT TWICE THE AFTER THAT I HAVE A DC TAP AND TV RUNS OFF THE TAP... I see a change of

-12.6 down
    31.9 db down

and 52 dbmv up

How much of a difference will that make?

Ps - It is about 30 feet to my house and then it splits then another 45 to the modem...

YAAAAAY... Ok So I switched the order of the dc tap and the splitter so my cable modem is off the first tap and the splitter runs off the "tapped" part.
    Now it is
    -9 down
    32 db down

48.8 up

any guesses on how often it will disconnect now compared to before?

Oh and by the way somehow the tap made my tv signal better too!!!!

I think i covered everything you already said earlier...
    Well- if ya gotta plagiarize, do it right out in the open I always say... Late night that day... I must have been zoned out a little more than I thought!!
    Never take any crap off an inanimate object!!

Never send email to this address: spam@euclidian.com. This is a spam trap and everyone sending any email to this address will be blacklisted.

YAAAAAY... Ok So I switched the order of the dc tap and the splitter so my cable modem is off the first tap and the splitter runs off the "tapped" part.
    Now it is
    -9 down
    32 db down

48.8 up

any guesses on how often it will disconnect now compared to before?

Oh and by the way somehow the tap made my tv signal better too!!!!
    It shouldnt disconnect. I think the downstream is good till -15 and the upstream is now much better, how are your speeds?

Ok, I should jump in here now. You don't reduce the power by removing splitters, splitters actually cut the signal down, called attenuation and loss listed in decibels or dB.

The way the technician turns down the signal power is by going over to the box that contains line boosting amplifiers, the only way to pull down the signal amplification is to turn down the amplifier to an acceptable level. The reason why these amplifiers are there are to allow you to get high bandwidth from further and further distances away from the terminal of the connection in the central office. The further the cable is away from the central office ( CO ) the higher the amplification must be to keep your data and clock signals at a sufficient amplitude and keep them in phase as well.

Tell the company to get their butts out there and turn down the power to a descent level.

Note: Some splitters remove certain frequency bands from the spectrum in which you are communicating over, this is a necessary function, since you don't want interference from the cable boxes nor from your computer when you are watching T.V. or using the computer.