Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Switch to Vista?

Quote Originally Posted by Amro View Post
    Power usage measured in what? Light bulbs on a box or a kill-a-watt?
    my APC measures the amount and its pretty much just by lights on the front of it... next time I switch to Vista I'll get a watt meter and note the major difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    my APC measures the amount and its pretty much just by lights on the front of it... next time I switch to Vista I'll get a watt meter and note the major difference.
    Yea. I imagine it does use a bit more power, like I said, since it's doing more..but I doubt it's huge (except for the video stuff, depending on what card you have). I wonder if your APC's software would give you a reading though. It should, at least, be more accurate?

Certified SG Addict
    Some sites did tests about Aero and battery life, no appreciable differences with it on or off.

Vista dynamically uses memory, sucks up as much of it as possible through superfetch and then dumps it when programs need bigger chunks.

Incompatibility/limited functionality with my most-used programs is what kept me from sticking with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Burke View Post
    Some sites did tests about Aero and battery life, no appreciable differences with it on or off.

Vista dynamically uses memory, sucks up as much of it as possible through superfetch and then dumps it when programs need bigger chunks.

Incompatibility/limited functionality with my most-used programs is what kept me from sticking with it.
    for once i agree with Burke.... God help us all!

Quote Originally Posted by Burke View Post

empty ram's wasted ram. i meant more on a desktop system w/ a 8800gtx or something -- in 3d mode it'd run at higher speeds, pull more power. laptop vid cards are designed to draw little power as it is.

You know Macs, which are spouted as 'super reliable' will use ALL of the RAM you put into a given Mac. Seriously. If you have a gig, whatever open programs aren't using it'll use as cache memory. If you have two gigs, it'll use most if not all of that. You seldom will see the 'free' RAM all that much. And it's a smart thing to do - I applaud MS for using memory for faster performance when browsing the internet and using every day apps.

That said, yes, the power usage would be higher on, for example, a high-resolution display being powered by a high end video card. But as it's been said in this thread, that's mainly due to the video card.

In reply to the thread - Vista is pretty much good to go. Most applications can be made to work if they don't out of the box with a little tweaking. Most newer applications will have no problem.

Games run pretty well on Vista, and a heck of a lot better than they did when Vista first came out (better yet, before that when it was in beta), and with each driver release it seems they run better and better.

While I wouldn't recommend it to someone with an older system, a Core 2 w/2GB RAM should run it awesomely. I installed XP on one of my systems for the heck of it the other day and I have to say, I feel as though it was running slower just using every day apps, and I don't know why. Vista just felt smoother.
    Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz on Water | 8GB DDR2 | 2x 74GB Raptor RAID0 | 250GB Storage | P5E | 2900XT @ 850 Core | DVD-RW | 2x 24" Widescreen LCD | Saitek Eclipse | Logitech G5

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    You know Macs, which are spouted as 'super reliable' will use ALL of the RAM you put into a given Mac. Seriously. If you have a gig, whatever open programs aren't using it'll use as cache memory. If you have two gigs, it'll use most if not all of that. You seldom will see the 'free' RAM all that much. And it's a smart thing to do - I applaud MS for using memory for faster performance when browsing the internet and using every day apps.

That said, yes, the power usage would be higher on, for example, a high-resolution display being powered by a high end video card. But as it's been said in this thread, that's mainly due to the video card.

In reply to the thread - Vista is pretty much good to go. Most applications can be made to work if they don't out of the box with a little tweaking. Most newer applications will have no problem.

Games run pretty well on Vista, and a heck of a lot better than they did when Vista first came out (better yet, before that when it was in beta), and with each driver release it seems they run better and better.

While I wouldn't recommend it to someone with an older system, a Core 2 w/2GB RAM should run it awesomely. I installed XP on one of my systems for the heck of it the other day and I have to say, I feel as though it was running slower just using every day apps, and I don't know why. Vista just felt smoother.
    qft. one needs to understand a little bit about operating systems in general to know why ms did what they did w/ vista.

I converted my main rig to Vista this past week. I need some new burning software as Nero 6 doesn't play well with it but other than that ....

Quote Originally Posted by Izzo View Post
    I converted my main rig to Vista this past week. I need some new burning software as Nero 6 doesn't play well with it but other than that ....
    Imgburn is free and nero 7 works on vista.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Imgburn is free and nero 7 works on vista.
    ya, I don't wanna spend 60 bucks on nero atm ...will check out the other.

Emerald Triangle looking for EA and some trainwreck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzo View Post

Try out Ashampoo 2007 burning studio. Works with vista and it was free for download. Cant find a working link but I am sure I have it on my desktop computer and I can send it to you.

http://www.cdburnerxp.se may work -- i haven't tried it

http://www.cdburnerxp.se may work -- i haven't tried it
    Not yet, next version will.

I didnt go through this whole thread but DOES DVD Decrypter and CLONE CD works in Vista ?

Also small applications like vcdgear, vlc, codec packs ....
    To be human is to choose.

It is better to die on your feet
    than to live on your knees.

- Emiliano Zapata

qft. one needs to understand a little bit about operating systems in general to know why ms did what they did w/ vista.
    I know enough about operating systems to know that the power consumption is way out of control when its idled.

I know enough about operating systems to know that the power consumption is way out of control when its idled.
    LOL 2 lights on the APC is way out of control? I'm running with 3 lights right now on XP 2 for my idle.

With your ultra non technical way of measuring power it could be a slight 5/10/15 watt difference in power bumping it up to the 2nd light.

Either way your memory and power light complaints of vista are poor, stick to the uncompatible software and "OMGz these vista drivers only let me get 123fps instead of 127fps"

I'll try to get a inline meter this week... i'm sure it will show at least 50watts more usage.

I'll try to get a inline meter this week... i'm sure it will show at least 50watts more usage.
    Make sure to wait until vista is done indexing/superfetching

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Make sure to wait until vista is done indexing/superfetching
    I turn all that off, its not needed.. hell I stripped it down cept for turning off Aero cause I really only wanted it for DX10 which is lame IMO, there is no reason Microsoft wouldn't port DX10 to XP

I turn all that off, its not needed.. hell I stripped it down cept for turning off Aero cause I really only wanted it for DX10 which is lame IMO, there is no reason Microsoft wouldn't port DX10 to XP
    The reason is its a PITA to do, some guy is working on it, so in liek 4 years a crappy alpha version of a DX10 XP installer may be around.

Oh and dont turn superfetch off(if its even possible)