Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Switch to Vista?

Switch to Vista?

I'll be buying a new machine with a decent Core 2 Duo processor and according features for gaming somewhere in August. Now there's question I haven't really found an answer to yet: is Vista ready? I don't mean "is it out on the shelves", but "are the worst bugs ironed out"?

I'm currently still using Win2k on my old machine, never saw a reason to switch to XP and I'd like to skip it. However, Win2k is not supported by all new software anymore, and I'm tired of looking for workarounds for installers (programs still run fine, it's just that the installers demand XP for some stupid marketing reason).

Should I grab an OEM copy of Vista when I get the new PC? Or is it still too early in the lifespan of Vista to be somewhat hassle-free? And if I do get Vista... which version should I pick? I don't plan to run any servers (except maybe a 3rd party HTTP or FTP or tiny game servers), I'll mostly use the rig for gaming and multimedia. Home Premium or Ultimate?
    ex-WoW-addict

I'd say vista is ready, drivers will still be getting tweaked but a modern gen nvidia card would be fine on it.

Home premium would probably be the version you'd want.

Driver support is still lagged in Vista, but most big name products are supported now, e.g. ATI, nVidia, etc. There's still a lot of everyday software that is not yet Vista ready.

Since you are used to Win2k you may want Vista Business. It has all that Ultimate has but more business/security related.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    Since you are used to Win2k you may want Vista Business. It has all that Ultimate has but more business/security related.
    Business does NOT have everything Ultimate has.

Business does not have the media center functions, it does not have bitlocker drive encryption, windows DVD maker, movie maker, Dreamscene.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...ns/choose.mspx

Home premium has most media features and should be good for the average and gamming users.

Make sure that thing has a good warranty and lots of ram.. as Vista uses about 40% of it even just sitting on desktop and i've heard horror stories already about it burning ram chips up doing that.

I know my 2 gigs which had tracers were lit up like a xmas tree just sitting on desktop for the few months I ran it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    i've heard horror stories already about it burning ram chips up doing that.
    Where are these horror stories?

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Give me your hand (close your eyes) and I'll let you feel one.
    People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Quote Originally Posted by MadDoctor View Post
    Not you the vista stories about burning up RAM. I say its BS, dont see any mention of it on major forums, and RAM is meant to be used. People max out ram all the time, right now my SBS box is maxed out, has been for 2 months with old generic ram and crucial ram, DDR, and there are PLENTY of systems out there that are.

Vista's fine -- running a 8800GTX and an E6600@3.33 right now w/ no problems.

local stories...

I'm not convinced Ram chips are meant to run wide open 24/7

Quote Originally Posted by MadDoctor View Post

local stories...

I'm not convinced Ram chips are meant to run wide open 24/7
    Local stories sound like people that dont know what they're doing or people that have misdiagnosed their problem.

If RAM chips werent meant to be maxed out 24/7 it would be listed somewhere in the warranty. How do these people with 128 or 256 megs of RAM not have theirs burn up then?

RAM burns up from overvolting and overheating. Dont overvolt them and they wont overheat as much, and make sure the case has good airflow so hot air doesnt sit over them. Do that and the RAM is fine, unless its ****** or defective RAM.

yard is correct, you pretty much can't hurt ram unless it gets too hot; from misuse, overclocking, dust & dirt.

Ram is for use! Resources are for use too. System memory is also for use, else why have it? Back in win95 & win98 days one needed to be concerned about memory & resources, mainly because of the way it managed memory (virtual memory & ram), and also because of memory leaking applications due to spaghetti code by lazy programmers (ms included). Todays op systems manage memory good, they just require more & more OF IT. And so what! Today, 2 gigs ddr ram costs less than 128 MB of pc133 cost 8 years ago.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

seein that I've heard these stories so far and only a few months since Vista has been out official...perhaps its pre mature thinking. But, what I see is Vista running on a PC that is up 24/7 at min on desktop thus within a years time wear of them will have gotten deep and thus start giving issues.
    I'm not knockin Vista cause I like it and I have it but I'm currently not using it and I love the fact that my chips are not running wide open (sucking more power) on XP than what they ever did with Vista. I've got 5 power level lights on my larger APC unit and when on XP one bar is lit up from the system sitting idle, when on Vista I had 2 solid all the time. Thats a large increase in voltage if you ask me. So I say Microsoft along with other companies such as Nvidia,ATI, Intel and AMD need to work on power consumption...

Thanks for the replies folks. I'll probably go ahead with Home Premium. I don't really think I need HDD encryption much, and if need be, I can probably still install a 3rd party tool for that purpose.

I was planning on 2 GB of RAM with slots left to upgrade in the future, I think that should do for the time being.

Oh, and on RAM usage... well, I plan on using whatever Windows doesn't use with gaming... indeed, RAM is intended to work full time and just needs a decent operating environment (cool & clean).
    ex-WoW-addict

seein that I've heard these stories so far and only a few months since Vista has been out official...perhaps its pre mature thinking. But, what I see is Vista running on a PC that is up 24/7 at min on desktop thus within a years time wear of them will have gotten deep and thus start giving issues.
    I'm not knockin Vista cause I like it and I have it but I'm currently not using it and I love the fact that my chips are not running wide open (sucking more power) on XP than what they ever did with Vista. I've got 5 power level lights on my larger APC unit and when on XP one bar is lit up from the system sitting idle, when on Vista I had 2 solid all the time. Thats a large increase in voltage if you ask me. So I say Microsoft along with other companies such as Nvidia,ATI, Intel and AMD need to work on power consumption...
    LEDs on a UPS aren't exactly a scientific way to measure power draw. Also, Vista does much more caching under the hood so it makes sense for it to run the CPU and HDD a bit more than XP does. The only companies that are drawing outrageous amounts of power w/ their products are video card manufacturers and that's basically just on the upper end cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Amro View Post
    LEDs on a UPS aren't exactly a scientific way to measure power draw. Also, Vista does much more caching under the hood so it makes sense for it to run the CPU and HDD a bit more than XP does. The only companies that are drawing outrageous amounts of power w/ their products are video card manufacturers and that's basically just on the upper end cards.
    And vista may draw more power because of aero.

Absolutely. My main point is it's doing more for you so it's going to use more power. Also, MS does the best they can with the hardware they're given to support (try unplugging your Vista powered laptop and watch the transparency effects disappear from the screen instantly to save battery power).

I turned Aero off and never saw a decrease.. I turned desktop in to a flying bucket for a few days and still no drop in power consumption from the Ram usage. I just don't trust it at this point plus only thing I liked about it was DX10 and right now there isn't anything out that requires DX10 besides a few demo's from nVidia.

When Crysis comes out I'll jump back on it prob..but I'll have to really take a look at it before I do.

I turned Aero off and never saw a decrease.. I turned desktop in to a flying bucket for a few days and still no drop in power consumption from the Ram usage. I just don't trust it at this point plus only thing I liked about it was DX10 and right now there isn't anything out that requires DX10 besides a few demo's from nVidia.

When Crysis comes out I'll jump back on it prob..but I'll have to really take a look at it before I do.
    Power usage measured in what? Light bulbs on a box or a kill-a-watt?