Thread: Experiencing very slow speeds/random disconnects

Experiencing very slow speeds/random disconnects

Hello, this will sound a lot like another poster but..

Whenever I go to surf the internet or play World of Warcraft I usually experience very high latency/lag when doing so and at times get random disconnects which force me to reset my cable modem (or at least I think that's what it is when I unhook the power cord then put it back in, sorry, not very literate with computer components related to internet connections =P), though I still experience the same latency which spikes to an extremely high amount sometimes making it nearly impossible to enjoy online games =P

Also the modem we have been provided is about 3, maybe four years old, so it COULD be that since things have just gotten laggier over this year..

Oh and finally, where are some diagnostic tools I can use to display more detailed information here? As I mentioned before, I'm not very literate with all the terms so I have no clue which ones would give any of you a detailed look at what might be wrong.

Thank you in advance for any help or advice.

edit: Oh yeah and my ISP is Shaw currently in Canada BC(around half a year ago they bought out the local ISP my town was using).
    Last edited by Kerze; 06-20-07 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Forgotten details

Three things come to mind as I write this reply to you.

It's a possiblity that the company that bought your ISP out has the people in your area or the whole customer base over-subscribed, meaning too many people on the cable ring network, that in turn will cause even more latency.

The second has to do with the modem itself, when is the last time your updated the firmware of your modem, what happens sometimes on some Cable and DSL modems is this, the NAT / NAT+ processing layer was programmed by an engineer that has an inferior quality about it, it springs a memory leak, that leak basically sucks all the life out of your connection and sometimes you will get disconnects not only from game but other services on the net.

WoW works like this, the authentication server sends a specialized ping message to your computer, if it isn't heard from, it's assumeed to be no longer logged in. This causes the servers at WoW from Blizzard to drop your connection. The real problem is high ping times going in both directions.

As I type this, I have now encountered, a extremely high ping number myself, like I have never seen. The customer service for the physical cables / lines is going down hilll, as I have noted I have spoken with telephone and cable repair departments. They will do everything in their power not to install a new line / cable and try to make it your fault stating it's CPE (in other words our own stuff), and not their responsibility.

Goto the SG Analyzer here and post the results from there.

Alright, well regarding the modem it's one supplied by the ISP but I'm not sure on how to update it...

Anyways I think I found the right tool (put into quote for neatness)

SpeedGuide.net TCP Analyzer Results
    Tested on: 06.20.2007 17:15
    IP address: 208.181.xx.xxx

TCP options string: 020405b40103030201010402
    MSS: 1460
    MTU: 1500
    TCP Window: 256960 (multiple of MSS)
    RWIN Scaling: 2
    Unscaled RWIN : 64240
    Reccomended RWINs: 64240, 128480, 256960, 513920
    BDP limit (200ms): 10278kbps (1285KBytes/s)
    BDP limit (500ms): 4111kbps (514KBytes/s)
    MTU Discovery: ON
    TTL: 51
    Timestamps: OFF
    SACKs: ON
    IP ToS: 00000000 (0)

Set your TCP Window to suit the speed given to you by your ISP:

64240 for speed up to 3 mbps.
    128480 for speed up from 4 mbps to 6 mbps

Quote Originally Posted by trogers View Post

Set your TCP Window to suit the speed given to you by your ISP:

64240 for speed up to 3 mbps.
    128480 for speed up from 4 mbps to 6 mbps
    Well, how much for 200kbps? Since I have a cable internet connection =P

Quote Originally Posted by Kerze View Post
    Well, how much for 200kbps? Since I have a cable internet connection =P
    Is that 200 KB/s (1.6 mbps) or 256 kbps (32 KB/s)? Are you in Canada?

Is that 200 KB/s (1.6 mbps) or 256 kbps (32 KB/s)? Are you in Canada?
    I THINK it's 200kbps and yes, I live in canada =)

Try the following with TCP Optimizer:

General Settings tab:
    Custom settings - check
    Modify All Network Adapters - check
    network adapter selection - your NIC
    MTU 1500
    TTL - 64
    TCP Receive Window - 5840
    MTU Discovery - Yes
    Black Hole Detect - No
    Selective Acks - Yes
    Max Duplicate ACKs - 2
    TCP 1323 Options:
    Windows Scaling - uncheck
    Timestamps - uncheck

Advanced Settings tab:
    Max Connections per Server - 8
    Max Connections per 1.0 Server - 8
    LocalPriority - 1
    Host Priority - 1
    DNSPriority - 1
    NetbtPriority - 1
    Lan Browsing speedup - optimized
    QoS: NonBestEffortLimit - 0
    ToS: DisableUserTOSSetting - 0
    ToS: DefaultTOSValue - 80
    MaxNegativeCacheTtl - 0
    NetFailureCacheTime - 0
    NegativeSOACache Time - 0
    LAN Request Buffer Size - 32768
    Then select "Apply Changes" and reboot to take effect

Alright, trying out your settings now and see how they work tonight, hopefully this fixes it..

I waited for a little bit, so that I could talk with someone I know that works for Blizzard Entertainment, the creator of World of Warcraft. This information posted here is to help anyone attempting to connect to the WoW servers especially during peak hours of use.

Blizzard is encountering trouble in keeping 6 million people online concurrently (at the same time in parallel), there are a lot of lag issues and disconnects occurring currently. They want everyone to know they are working on it and that this is proving to be more than an inconvienence to all the WoW players / fanactics.

What I do know, is that the 30 seconds someone is online in the game and then you get massive lag, then it goes away, then comes again, that is a really stressed authentication server to make sure you are still connected to the game. They are working on this as welll.

What I do know to help free your computer from going down with the lag issue every time it happens is this, there are options to set your card not to use vertical timing / retrace (CRT and some DVI / HDMI cards still send this signal out). The less the application on your computer has to do, the faster it will run, also this tends to lock it self into your ping timings in such away.
    When you do this, it makes the game act in real time but, since the TCP/IP is a software based stack vs. the KillerNIC (hardware acceleration of TCP/IP) it gets even slower because the game has to sync up the pings, with the game frames, and that further slows down the game by making the processor work harder.

Most modern day video / graphics cards do very well if you disable them but still have FSAA, Anti-Isotrophic Filtering, etc, turned on to the max. It's just the vertical retrace that nails your system, because they haven't figured out a way to build the critical timing applications to run locallly on the graphics cards yet but KillerNIC does allow you to run critical timing stuff on their specialized processor and haul ass.

I am working with Blizzard to come up will a way to fix that problem but since there are so many people online at once that presents an even greater challenge, it's all about internal network routing, and hella fast optical networks, we are not talking about 10 Gbps Ethernet or Optical, they will need to run STM-255 throughout their buildings to keep up, yep, that is 53 Gbps+ symetrical concurrent communications in full duplex.

That will be damn expensive!

Well, I tried it out, things were going a little smoother but I still had to reboot my modem once tonight when it crapped out on me =P

Also it isn't really the WoW servers either because on my x-box 360 I get a really bad connection speed on it or randomly disconnect from online games, so I'm starting to think it might be my modem possibly...

Check the signal properties of your modem and compare them with those in this thread:

http://www.speedguide.net/faq_in_q.p...gory=92&qid=78

Check the signal properties of your modem and compare them with those in this thread:

http://www.speedguide.net/faq_in_q.p...gory=92&qid=78
    Oh, how do I check the signal properties of my modem? Or is there a way to set the speed test up/SG analyzer so it does that?

What brand and model is your modem?

Sorry for the late reply..

Anyways, all I can tell from looking at it is that it's made by 3-com, I tried to find a modem that looked like it on their website but couldn't find anything. Is there anywhere I should look specifically for the model #? (sorry, horrible noob at this stuff =P )

Look for any indicated numbers on or under your 3Com and then go to this link to download its documentation or guide:

http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/downloadsindex.jsp