Thread: my slow connection?

my slow connection?

why am i getting i should be getting around 4mb a sec down but im only getting 200/300kb sec do you see any thing wrong with any of these Downstream Signal
    Favorite Downstream Frequency: Hz
    Frequency: 117000000 Hz
    QAM Mode: 256 QAM
    Channel Power: 3.3 dBmV
    SNR: 33.633 dB

Upstream Signal
    Channel Id: 21
    Frequency: 33000000 Hz
    Channel Width: 3200000 Hz
    Channel Power: 31.0 dBmV

DOCSIS1.1 Quality of Service Parameters
    Direction Upstream Downstream
    SFID 0x33fc 0x33f9
    SID 0x31 N/A
    Traffic Priority 0 0
    Max Sustained Traffic Rate (bps) 512000 7168000
    Max Transmit Burst (bytes) 3044 3044
    Min Reserved Traffic Rate (bps) 0 0
    Service Flow Scheduling Type Best Effort N/A
    Model Name: DCM-202
    Hardware Version: 1A
    Software Version: 2.00.03D1.02
    MAC Address: 00.0F.3D.6A.38.56
    System Time: SAT JUN 16 05:16:17 2007
    System Up Time: 00h:37m:02s
    Standard Specification Compliant: DOCSIS 1.1/2.0

Cable Modem IP Information
    IP Address: 76.57.109.37
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.224.0
    Gateway IP: 76.57.96.1
    DHCP Lease Time: D: 05 H: 04 M: 45 S: 20

Attached Devices
    Mac Address Attached Interface
    00.0F.EA.7E.25.61 Ethernet

Do a test at www.speedtest.net

i did im only getting 200/300 like told u in first post

i have a 6mbit connection they say they can give me 15mb if i payed 9.99 more a month wich aitn all that bad

Post a TCP analyzer.

here is my tcp ip analyzer.... SpeedGuide.net TCP Analyzer Results
    Tested on: 06.17.2007 21:35
    IP address: 76.188.xxx.xxx

TCP options string: 020405b401010402
    MSS: 1460
    MTU: 1500
    TCP Window: 65535 (NOT multiple of MSS)
    RWIN Scaling: 0
    Unscaled RWIN : 65535
    Reccomended RWINs: 64240, 128480, 256960, 513920
    BDP limit (200ms): 2621kbps (328KBytes/s)
    BDP limit (500ms): 1049kbps (131KBytes/s)
    MTU Discovery: ON
    TTL: 108
    Timestamps: OFF
    SACKs: ON
    IP ToS: 00000000 (0)

increase RWIN to 128480

save changes and reboot..

then test in a few different locations on speedtest.net not just the closest or "yellow" one it picks for you...sometimes the routing between you and that test site is awful and might show slower speeds.

Interesting, yet another unoptimized net connection...

Quote Originally Posted by cableguy2k7 View Post
    here is my tcp ip analyzer.... SpeedGuide.net TCP Analyzer Results
    Tested on: 06.17.2007 21:35
    IP address: 76.188.xxx.xxx

TCP options string: 020405b401010402
    MSS: 1460
    MTU: 1500
    TCP Window: 65535 (NOT multiple of MSS)
    RWIN Scaling: 0
    Unscaled RWIN : 65535
    Reccomended RWINs: 64240, 128480, 256960, 513920
    BDP limit (200ms): 2621kbps (328KBytes/s)
    BDP limit (500ms): 1049kbps (131KBytes/s)
    MTU Discovery: ON
    TTL: 108
    Timestamps: OFF
    SACKs: ON
    IP ToS: 00000000 (0)

What I would do is shut off the MTU discovery service since many of the services that are needed to be running on your computer don't actually use it correctly you can infact get screwy results.

There are numerous WAN settings you can use for cable modems, what you need to do is find out the MTU setting of your ISP. Most ISPs set it below that of 1,500 bytes per packet since that is an Ethernet standard and you are using a Cable connection (really a modified token ring connection with some addition capabilities similiar to that of ATM networks like xDSL and OC style networks).

There are multiple parameters that are often overlooked when people are tweaking their broadband connections, it's not as simple as doing dial-up networking.

Since you have an Ethernet Connection or USB connection to deal with as well, this can be one more step to consider, not just your router (if separate from the broadband modem).

Works like this, if you have Ethernet cables going from your computer, the to the router, then to the modem, don't change the MTU packet size, on your computer network devices on your LAN, performance depends on that number but when you get to the modem side, there are two MTU you can pick. The first if for the LAN side, which if you are using Ethernet should always be set for 1500, but on the WAN side, this is where it gets interesting. Some ISPs use 1500 over the cable network for MTU but some use smaller packet since they are not physically using Ethernet over the cable connection (it gets converted to another protocol and back again when it reaches the other modem).

These are the following MTUs that I have encountered on high speed cable Internet; 1500, 1492, 1472 for the WAN connection.

What is the name of the ISP you are using? I could check with them as well.

The other thing to consider is the the TTL you have set on your network connection, as it is stated, the best connections you should have through out your network to be compatible with transmission is 127.5 ms, but since Windows doesn't handle TCP/IP stack timing in 1/2 milliseconds, you need to round up to 128 ms, so that would be your best best, since the TCP/IP stack is sluggish in windows ( why Billy G., why?!? ).

Download the SG TCP Optimizer if you haven't already and if you want I can give you the setting I tell people to use to get more performance out fo their network connections.

Note: Most modems and network routers do not have an option to adjust the TTL settings for network and Extranet / Internet which is truly a crime, robbing you of precious performance.

Basically when everything in your network is tuned correctly you will have even lower latency for packets going to and from your computer, works great for streaming media and games.

I am working on firmware for routers where you can adjust the TTL and other notable parameters from the administration terminal / web page so you can get more umph out of that thing.

Something else to consider, are you on a wireless connection going through numerous devices? That too needs to be looked at.

Here is something that will bake your noodle, just because you are getting lower bandwidth doesn't mean your network is slower, that is a misnomer. What really kills the download speed is not the bandwidth by itself, it's the latency in milliseconds (ms) or in seconds in some cases. The higher the latency in ms or seconds the longer you have to wait for a packet or stream of packets to be sent or received over the network, if the latency goes too high, then a lot of packets will be lost, then needed to be retransmitted, further slowing down your Internet connection.

It's better to have really low latency than upper end bandwidth, the reason is most ISP like to cater to people than want more speed but also don't tell people on purpose than more bandwith requires a bigger memory receive window and accurate buffer timing in TTL (since this is a receive side only parameter).

I highly suspect that the reason why your so-called bandwith is low is because you are on a laggy network or a bunch of people are on their network connection all at once as well. If you all got together as a neighborhood and used all the same network settings, believe it or not you all would experience better network connectivity and speed plus it "throttles the ISP even more", basically you would be getting the bandwidth and latency you're paying for when you do that. ISPs like to oversell bandwidth and not tell people that their speeds have been capped or shaped so they can get away with murder, and during non peak hours the control programs open up your Internet connection speed to go a little higher (well what you were paying for to begin with) in speeds.

Most people that have Internet connections don't know enough about the underlying technologies and what can be tweaked or adjusted to work in their favor, ISPs like it that way, because then they don't have to answer to you as to why you are not getting what you pay for.

If you want to know how to calculated your peak and average bandwidth I will give you the equations, fairly simple to do too.

Note: Most Internet RWIN connections should be even higher than the last post, not saying he / she is wrong but there are other reasons why this should be larger. Two main reason, You have both LAN traffic, NAT / NAT+ traffic coming in from your WAN (Internet Connection).

Now having a 2xx k RWIN is great for people with just a high speed LAN but if you have a WAN too, you need it to be bigger. I would suggest setting it to the old Novell Network standard, 372,300 bytes for RWIN or my mimimum of 528,400 bytes for high speed Internet, that is for even a 256k connection, that seems like an awfully high number for that type of connection but really it's not. When you realize what kind of traffic is landing in your receive window and how frequently it lands there, there are 4 different priorities and packets landing in that buffer. So you need plenty of room for the big packets with top priority.

P.S. MSS Windows Scaling has never worked correctly, therefore I disable it and use custom setting for even more performance.

Got questions, just ask.

i use cybertweak to increase rwin and its on 64240 i got onboard lan cpu processing enabled and i have blackhole acknolgement on also im not on no router not at my house anyway i only run one pc i only have one pc and the cable company just told me the guy came out and looked at it he said the reason for the slow speed is that they are working to upgrade to digital phone service my isp is roadrunner from timewarner cable it was adelphia be4 now its timewarner and ill try a few things

im on an ethernet connection im on a dlink dcm 202 cable modem some1 told me to get a surfboard from motorola my modem connectt direct to pc
    Last edited by cableguy2k7; 06-20-07 at 01:35 AM.

Oh geez, not that again, I just heard from another one of my colleagues that they are working through an issue just like the one you are posting. It has a lot to do with how the ISP in this case Time Warner is dealing with the capping of Internet bandwidth and the whole thing about phones etc, that is just a cover for what really going on. Tell them to get their ass in gear and that it wouldn't look good splattered all over the news agencies that they are not living up to their contact with you, in other words, get what you pay for.

i tryed the tcp/ip optimizer tryed changing most of the setting like rwin to 128480 all these settings seemed to have slowed my connection more more now im getting dialup speeds like below 100kb

What settings did you change?

Quote Originally Posted by cableguy2k7 View Post
    i tryed the tcp/ip optimizer tryed changing most of the setting like rwin to 128480 all these settings seemed to have slowed my connection more more now im getting dialup speeds like below 100kb
    if you have a router make sure to reboot it and the modem

any of these error logs mean anything...........1 06/17/07 22:09:33 R02.0 critical No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
    2 06/18/07 03:27:16 R04.0 critical Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, but no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 timeout
    3 06/18/07 03:27:17 T01.0 critical SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing
    4 06/18/07 03:23:42 T04.0 critical SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to receive MAC SYNC frame within time-out period
    5 06/18/07 03:23:42 T01.0 critical SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing
    6 06/18/07 03:23:46 T04.0 critical SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to receive MAC SYNC frame within time-out period
    7 06/18/07 03:23:47 T01.0 critical SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing
    8 06/18/07 18:42:33 R04.0 critical Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, but no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 timeout
    9 06/18/07 18:42:33 T01.0 critical SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing
    10 06/18/07 19:34:49 R02.0 critical No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

there sending another cable guy out to my house what the hell for

i think my connection is fixed im getting 6.3mb on speedtest.net reccamended server other servers were below 2mb on dowload speed watch me get up tomarrow and see my speed back to being slow again so i hope this means its fixed so i wonder if i should keep the service call from timewarner