Thread: Minor Packet Loss And Upload / Download Speeds

Minor Packet Loss And Upload / Download Speeds

First of all, my connection is 6mbit/512kbit. I use a router. With no background applications running I get these speeds

However, when using BitTorrent I have noticed that I need to drop my upload by a lot to obtain optimal download. It seems like it needs to be around 25KB/s or lower before I can max out my download speeds.
    I have done tests using FTP uploads instead of BitTorrent and the result is the same so it doesn't seem to be BitTorrent related.

Running ping with the -t parameter for about 10 minutters shows that I have about 2-3% packet loss and the average ping is 13ms. By disconnecting the router I elimite packet loss and drop my ping to 8ms.
    Is this normal?

Is there anything wrong with my connection or is it normal not to be able to set upload to 70-80% of maximum upload speed when using BitTorrent? That's what most guides and applications recommend but it doesn't seem to work for me.

Just for reference: My connection used to be 1.5mbit/384kbit until recently where I had my upload capped at 35KB/s and that maxed out my download when using BitTorrent.

Your downloads will consume a large part of your small upload bandwidth through sending out receipt acknowledgements.

The reason why you need to limit your upload bandwidth for the higher speed package is because the ratio between 512 kbps and 6 mbps is much smaller than 384 kbps to 1.5 mbps.

Imagine the limits if your speed package is 20 mbps to 512 kbps...

In choosing an ISP and the right speed package, do take note of the ratio between down and up speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by trogers View Post
    The reason why you need to limit your upload bandwidth for the higher speed package is because the ratio between 512 kbps and 6 mbps is much smaller than 384 kbps to 1.5 mbps.
    Don't you mean larger? Just nitpicking

It should be noted that I tried disconnecting the router last night and was able to obtain a steady upload speed of ~40KB/s while maintaining 600KB/s+ in download speed. I suppose I should try doing a few more tests both with and without the router just to be sure it's not limiting bandwidth too much.

What about the packet loss? Should I be concerned?

Cheers for the reply!

where are you pinging to? adding a router will add a few ms to latency, no biggie.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    where are you pinging to? adding a router will add a few ms to latency, no biggie.
    My ISP's website.