Thread: send and online lights missing

send and online lights missing

Hi

I am currently using a Motorola SB5100 surfboard cable modem and my ISP is Virgin media (nee Telewest)

Recently I have had an intermittent issue where the send and online lights are missing on the modem and the receive light flashes. I get no connection to the internet. I have tried to reboot, switch off the pc, power down the modem , wait 30 seconds etc., but nothing seems to work. I call the virgin helpdesk , they try a few things, but nothing works so they book an engineer. By the time the engineer gets here, it is working again and they can find nothing wrong with it.

Any advice? as Virgin donít seem to have a clue!

http://192.168.100.1/signal.htm

What are your power levels and SNR Ratio?

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    http://192.168.100.1/signal.htm

What are your power levels and SNR Ratio?
    I have no idea, sorry, can you tell me how to find out ?

Quote Originally Posted by hcabs99 View Post
    I have no idea, sorry, can you tell me how to find out ?
    you click that link he gave you... it should take you right to a page that accesses that information and more from the modem directly. But to me it sounds like you either have a lose connection somewhere..perhaps going through a bad splitter..if you have a splitter take it off.

Could be a cut in the line from the house out which could have come from a tree limb, squirrel, or anything really.. once water gets in it will cause a "arc" thus giving noise and causing this problem.. and with noise it could be something interfering with it. Computer speakers, lamps etc near the modem should be moved a few feet away. Check the hookup at the box on the side of the house to make sure thats tight and clean.

you can access you modems config page gy typing in a loopback ip adress the one i use should be universal all you gotta do is go to motarolas website and go ot the tech support page and look at the instructions to get on you modems configpage that tells you all info on signals and even keeps a log of errors your modem/ispnetwork has

Quote Originally Posted by cableguy2k7 View Post
    you can access you modems config page gy typing in a loopback ip adress the one i use should be universal all you gotta do is go to motarolas website and go ot the tech support page and look at the instructions to get on you modems configpage that tells you all info on signals and even keeps a log of errors your modem/ispnetwork has
    YOS just posted the link..and I just explained it to him

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    you click that link he gave you... it should take you right to a page that accesses that information and more from the modem directly. But to me it sounds like you either have a lose connection somewhere..perhaps going through a bad splitter..if you have a splitter take it off.

Could be a cut in the line from the house out which could have come from a tree limb, squirrel, or anything really.. once water gets in it will cause a "arc" thus giving noise and causing this problem.. and with noise it could be something interfering with it. Computer speakers, lamps etc near the modem should be moved a few feet away. Check the hookup at the box on the side of the house to make sure thats tight and clean.

Many thanks guys for your help here, i will check all my connections as you advise, i did try the link you sent me but the link does not work , Message "The requested URL was not found on this server"

http://192.168.100.1 try it without the signal at the end, does that work?

There are numerous problems that can cause that symptom that you are having trouble with at the current time. One of the most overlooked problems for Cable and xDSL connections is the loss of "line sync".

On cable it has to do with a center frequency for both send and receive, if that frequency deviate too far in a percentile from the reference clock signal frequency in your modem, you will have connectivity issue problems.

While I would say it would be the Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR), I believe it is a failing signal amplifier that your cable company installs every couple of miles (kilometers) to boost the signal and well, the SNR. If these amps fail or have really noisy power supplies, this in turn will inject unwanted interference onto the cable, messing up or drowning out the center frequency signal, that's not the only thing that is affected however when these amps fail or are intermittent.

The other possibility is that you have a bad coaxial cable on the outside of your house heading to the junction boxes (where the amps are) or all the way to the head end (where you get your service from the Cable company).

What I would like you to do is get me the statistics from your modem.

I need to know if you are encountering the following;

1. CRC local and remote sides. The actual numbers would be good.
    2. FEC local and remote sides. The actual numbers would be good.
    3. HEC local and remote sides. The actual numbers would be good.

Also, notice if you are having trouble when you are watching the Internet weather site and your area is predicting some bad weather, if you Internet connection fails during this time but you don't lose power, most likely you have an exposed ground shield on your coxial cable "OUTSIDE" your house, which falls under the resposibility / jurisdiction of your cable company.

The only other thing I can think of is that if you don't have the most current firmware for your modem, and if your ISP / Cable company have changed their modem card banks, whether or not your modem is compatible with their.
    Since you are able to stay connected for long periods of time and have random disconnects, it sounds like a physical problem outside the house. Let me know if you have any trouble with your cable reception on any of your channels, note what you see, like ghosting, snow, etc. This will also help me a lot.

About the splitter issue, like xDSL, the Cable Modem, should be be going through a splitter, it should be directly connecting to the line. There are splitters, that have 1 straight through (passive) connection, and other filter tap offs (for digital cable, and other digital services that are not documented in their services, for which I will leave nameless for the time being). If you have a bad splitter, you will have a constant bad or slow connection and your digital cable signal on your TV will look like sh*t too.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    http://192.168.100.1 try it without the signal at the end, does that work?
    Yes it does!

Downstream Value
    Frequency 331000000 Hz Locked
    Signal to Noise Ratio 39 dB
    Power Level -3 dB The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream Value
    Channel ID 2
    Frequency 29200000 Hz Ranged

Power Level 54 dBmV

Also copied some entries from the log file

2007-06-19 16:05:13 3-Critical 0x04E33A74 Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out
    2007-06-19 07:46:59 5-Warning 0x040DC13C DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response
    2007-06-18 23:03:27 3-Critical 0x04E33A74 Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out
    2007-06-17 05:42:34 4-Error 0x041D050C SW upgrade Failed after download - Incompatible SW file
    2007-06-17 05:42:33 6-Notice 0x041D0318 SW Download INIT - Via Config file cm-4096-384
    2007-06-17 05:42:32 6-Notice 0x045A80E4 TLV-11 - unrecognized OID

1970-01-01 22:05:55 3-Critical 0x040D9A2C DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.

The last time i lost my connection was on the 15th June and got it back on the 17th June. Do these logs point to the issue?

We have had some recent bad weather in the area, so your suggestion that this may be the problem would make sense. If it happens again , i will make a note. No issues with the digital tv quality however some issues with poor service on virgin which require constant reboots, but that has been going on for ages and does happen to other users..time to move to sky!

I cant find the things you have been asking for

need to know if you are encountering the following;

1. CRC local and remote sides. The actual numbers would be good.
    2. FEC local and remote sides. The actual numbers would be good.
    3. HEC local and remote sides. The actual numbers would be good.

Where would i find this?

Guys, finally many thanks for your time on this, it is genuially appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by hcabs99 View Post
    Upstream Value
    Channel ID 2
    Frequency 29200000 Hz Ranged

Power Level 54 dBmV

this 54dBmV is a little high.. and with that modem if it spikes over 56 I think it will lose connection and it only takes a split second to climb that high and then drop again causing a loss of packets. I've had this problem before and it required a tech to climb up the pole where the amp is located and turn you down...a "Happy spot" is around 42 or so..

There is a distinct possibility that the amp is the problem and I do believe lightning (since not all enclosures are built really good where the amps sit) for the line itself, is very susceptible to lightnining air ionization, since you can hear lightnining on AM stations, it also messes with the QAM, or Quadrature Amplitude Modulation and other related signalling that operate at 4kHz to 500kHz over the coax line, in practice the bandwith is much smaller in KHz, but lightning affects that frequency spectrum and above as well.

Especially if the amp is turned up too high and you get ionization your will get an equivalent of a non paralyzing data EMP... Effectively knocking your circuits for a loop and I don't mean local loop either.

A way to figure out if it could be the amp, is like figuring out how close a storm is to you, count how many seconds you have between sounds of thunder and then also clock it so you know when you modem goes nuts, if it is in between this window when your modem goes nuts, it's the lightning ionization doing it, often times the grounding wires for the installation boxes are not connected (go figure) or have a loose connection. Also if the amps themselves are not properly grounded (earth grounding with the installation box) you can get screwy results as well, heck I have even seen some of the old ultrasonic garage door openers mess with those cable / xDSL line amplifiers since they operated in the AM range.

2007-06-19 16:05:13 3-Critical 0x04E33A74 Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out

TCP/IP link is not established on the WAN side, service is down on the cable side.

2007-06-19 07:46:59 5-Warning 0x040DC13C DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response

TCP/IP link is not established on the WAN side, service is down on the cable side.

2007-06-18 23:03:27 3-Critical 0x04E33A74 Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out

2007-06-17 05:42:34 4-Error 0x041D050C
    SW upgrade Failed after download - Incompatible SW file

Image file corrupted from CRCs, FECs, and HECs. You can receive massive CRC errors if your signal going out or coming is too hot (an engineering term meaning the signal is being overdriven, there is no balance or "proper" attenuation).

2007-06-17 05:42:33 6-Notice 0x041D0318
    SW Download INIT - Via Config file cm-4096-384

Checking the file for checksum and manufacturer's ID for the device you are attempting to flash and update.

2007-06-17 05:42:32 6-Notice 0x045A80E4 TLV-11 - unrecognized OID
    Incorrect or scrambled OID or file, caused by your connection issues.

1970-01-01 22:05:55 3-Critical 0x040D9A2C
    DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response
    DHCP failed to get the IP address and other operation parameter from your ISP in a certain specified time limit.

Yes, I would have them actually jack into your modem or have them look at your log, don't clear any data, I want them to see all the problems you are having, so they can rule out hardware corruption in the house.

Your modem is transmitting at 29.2mHz.

54dBmV is the upper end of Docsis specs.

The high number means your modems transmitter is cranked up (by the headend) to be received at the node as close to 0dBmV at their receiver as possible.

The tech should have never left your house with the level that high and you having problems.

How many splitters do you have between the drop and your modem?

How long is the cable between the drop and your modem?

What kind of coax did they use?
    Never take any crap off an inanimate object!!

Never send email to this address: spam@euclidian.com. This is a spam trap and everyone sending any email to this address will be blacklisted.