Thread: 'House set to pass post-Virginia Tech gun bill'

Certified SG Addict

Post 'House set to pass post-Virginia Tech gun bill'

http://www.reuters.com/article/domes...29926420070612

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Spurred by the deadliest shooting rampage in modern U.S. history, the Democratic-led House of Representatives is expected to approve a bill to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill, lawmakers said on Tuesday.

The legislation -- which the House is to take up on Wednesday -- was drafted in consultation with the 4-million-member National Rifle Association, the country's biggest gun rights group, after a deranged gunman killed 32 others and himself in April at Virginia Tech University.
    Sounds nice and all, except that the DSM-IV lists all kinds of things as "mental disorders" and illnesses, including things like narcolepsy. Vague language is a primer for abuse...

I think its a good idea, hard not to be vague with mental stuff.

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    Another reactive feel good law that wonít work.

Ö. The 1968 Gun Control Act prohibits anyone adjudicated to be "a mental defective" from possessing a gun. It also bars eight other groups, including felons, fugitives, drug addicts and wife abusersÖ..
    They canít implement the old laws properly, much less any new ones. Hereís some info that might strike fear in the hearts of a few. After committing myself to a state mental institution for prescription drug addiction, a couple of months later I passed a federal background check and bought a gun. I didnít lie on my application and even told the gun shop owner what I had done.

Hereís the catch to the federal law, if you commit yourself you are deemed mentally competent enough to judge right from wrong and own a gun.

If you are committed by the state or a family member you are considered too ďout the boxĒ sort of speak for gun ownership.

I donít do drugs (much) and I donít think of killing people (often) and my doctor says Iíll be OK (as long as I stay on my medication).
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................

Excellent idea.
    IMO
    - Reps for being a smartass.
    SG Sh!!t List

Bouncer, downhill, John, Kip Patterson, Roody, YeOldeStonecat, Ken, Philip, David, Indy, Noevo.

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    You can pass all the laws you want, as long as there are gun dealer like THIS they wonít work.

Elliotís gun shop was on the corner of the street I used to live on. That place has been around forever. Itís only 1 of 120 gun shops under investigation by the feds.

Ö.A 2004 study by the Americans for Gun Safety Foundation found Elliot's one of the top dealers in the United States for selling guns later used in crimes. The study found that 120 U.S. dealers had each sold at least 200 guns linked to crimes between 1996 and 2000. Elliot's had sold 890, according to the studyÖ..
    Thatís where I bought my gun just a few days before they were busted. Iím still waiting for the feds to come knocking on my door to take my gun from me.

Like so many others, I donít know what the answer is to our so called ďgun problemĒ but they should start with better enforcement of existing laws before they enact new ones.

If Cho wasn't able to get his hands on a gun I think he would have found another way to vent his frustration. That guy was just wacko and hell bent on destruction.
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................

Quote Originally Posted by Spammy View Post
    Excellent idea.
    IMO

YES. More laws always make things better. Always. No doubt about it.
    Tao_Jones Cult Member since 2004
    I gave Miss Manners a Dirty Sanchez, and she LIKED it.

Quote Originally Posted by brembo View Post
    YES. More laws always make things better. Always. No doubt about it.
    No, but clearing up the mental illness thing is a good idea and putting money together to change thigns that allowed the gap for the nutcase VT shooter and probably others to get guns is a good thing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    No, but clearing up the mental illness thing is a good idea and putting money together to change thigns that allowed the gap for the nutcase VT shooter and probably others to get guns is a good thing to me.

How? Will they perform a mental evaluation on the spot when you try and purchase a firearm? Bring a doctors note in with you sayng "Johnny is free and clear of mental instability, please let him buy a gun." Did the VT shooter have a history of mental problems documented to the extent a background search would have turned it up? Or will this new LAW make it necessary for docs to add you to the national LOONY list?

How? Will they perform a mental evaluation on the spot when you try and purchase a firearm? Bring a doctors note in with you sayng "Johnny is free and clear of mental instability, please let him buy a gun." Did the VT shooter have a history of mental problems documented to the extent a background search would have turned it up? Or will this new LAW make it necessary for docs to add you to the national LOONY list?
    The VT shooter did, but the people that should have reported it were confused by the laws on what they were allowed to include.

No, my personal mental heatlh is NONE of the gov't business. That's just going too far.

No, my personal mental heatlh is NONE of the gov't business. That's just going too far.
    I dont want some mental freak to be armed.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    I dont want some mental freak to be armed.
    I don't want the gov't to know my mental status.

Apparently they already can, this should fill some loop holes up though. If someone is mentally ill they have no business owning a weapon.

I don't know about the rest of the states but I believe that Montana only keeps mental records for three years.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking