Thread: Rebooting issue

Rebooting issue

So... I got an Aopen AX4SPE Max (P4 Socket 478) from a friend of mine, and built a machine out of some spare parts I had lying around. However, I have a recurring issue that I can't seem to fix so far...

Basically, every time I start the machine (either from a restart, or from a cold start), it goes into a "half-on" mode. The fans spin up, the power light is on, but USB devices are unpowered, the "Boot LED" is flashing, and the monitor doesn't get a signal. If IDE drives are hooked up, the HDD light is usually on, but with SATA drives hooked up, it's off.

After this power state, if I either hold the power button (wait the 5 seconds for it to shut off) and turn it back on, or if I hit the reset button, then it'll come back up into POST, and I can continue as normal. It's not a major issue, but it is annoying to reach over to the case in the course of a software-level restart.

This issue was not present when my friend owned the board, it's only been there since I installed my parts onto it. The issue was also not present when these same parts were installed on the board of a Dell Dimension 4600.

Even though I don't find it necessary, I'll give the full hardware summary, for completeness:

P4 3.2GHz Prescott, socket 478
    AOpen AX4SPE Max (latest BIOS)
    2x512MB Crucial DDR-400 RAM, 3-2-3-8
    EVGA 6600GT AGP
    Seagate 7200.10 320GB SATA/3Gbps drive
    Ultra 500W PSU (I know... but it was cheap, and modular, and my last PSU was underpowered)
    Sony DVD-RW drive

Any usb drive plugged in?

No, the only external devices plugged in are AC power, a CAT5 cable, a USB mouse, and a USB keyboard.

Hmmm. Try another PSU if you have one.

No overclocking? Voltages set to auto or left alone? After you got the board from the friend you reset the CMOS?

I've used this PSU in the other machine no problem, and I've used another PSU on this mobo with no problem.

No OCing, stock voltage, etc. I have tried resetting the CMOS, still no effect.

Another "malfunction", not sure if it's related... if I do change the clock speed in BIOS, nothing gets affected. If I set it, then save and exit the BIOS, then it restarts the machine (triggering my above issue). I reset the machine manually, and it's still at stock clock speeds. However, voltage can be changed just fine, with no problems. This time of year underclocking is more useful for me than overclocking (otherwise, my room gets way too hot), which I can't even do right now in the BIOS.

Using AOpen's provided utility, "EzClock", I can change the clock speed, but half the time when I hit "Apply" the machine freezes. It seems as though if I can get the program to change clock speeds once, I'm fine as long as I don't OC too far, and as long as I don't shut the machine down. If I reboot and open up EzClock, there's a good chance that any change will once again freeze the machine up.

Strange, try using memtest86+ or memtest for windows to check RAM.

Could this friend have F'ed up the mobo before you got it?

Yeah, memtest86 doesn't show any issues.

I suppose it's possible that the board got some ESD while it was in transit between his case and mine... is there any way to check?