Thread: Upgrading a wireless modem

Upgrading a wireless modem

Hi,

I just bought a netgear rangemax next ADSL2+ wireless modem. I also have Belkin pre-N wireless modem from before. Now the Belkin is working ok (Even though it disconnects every now & then) but when i remove it (Unplug it) and try to install the Netgear rangemax from the CD provided, it doesn't detect my ISP connection and tells me there is no connection detected. I returned the Belkin and it still works!

Is there any obvious thing i am missing here ?? Is there any special way to remove a previous modem to install a new one??

Thanks in advance for your help and looking forward to see some replies

The Netgear rangemax is a router (not a modem) which you should have connected to your modem using the router's WAN port. Have you entered the username and password for your ADSL connection and selected PPPoE?
    You need to setup the same login information on the Netgear that you previously used for the Belkin.

Quote Originally Posted by lenwest View Post
    The Netgear rangemax is a router (not a modem) which you should have connected to your modem using the router's WAN port. Have you entered the username and password for your ADSL connection and selected PPPoE?
    You need to setup the same login information on the Netgear that you previously used for the Belkin.
    It is not the normal RangeMax, it is the RangeMax Next which is a wireless-N modem router.. This is the one i have:
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/networ...NEXT-DG834N/p1

I don't know why but i don't get any configuration pages, it just tries to detect the internet service and fails..

OK. Assuming then that you have DSL service, have you configured the router to use PPPoE (most DSL providers use PPPoE) and entered your username and password (again most DSL connections require these)?
    They can be configured from your routers configuration page. You may need to connect your computer to the modem/router by Cat5 until you get an Internet connection, then configure your wireless settings after that.

Quote Originally Posted by lenwest View Post
    OK. Assuming then that you have DSL service, have you configured the router to use PPPoE (most DSL providers use PPPoE) and entered your username and password (again most DSL connections require these)?
    They can be configured from your routers configuration page. You may need to connect your computer to the modem/router by Cat5 until you get an Internet connection, then configure your wireless settings after that.
    Yeah. AT LAST!! i finally logged in to the web based configuration using the admin/password and configured the connection

THANKSSS