Thread: Really frustrating problem with connecting to Internet via wireless router

Really frustrating problem with connecting to Internet via wireless router

Hello all,

I've been having a strange problem with my laptop's internet connection thru my wireless router.

Router: a brand new D-Link DI-524
    Wireless Adapter: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
    Modem: Motorola SB5100 Series SURFboard Cable Modem
    Laptop O/S: Vista

Lights on modem are all on, none blinking.
    Lights on router are all on except Port 2,3,4 (unused), and are blinking except Power.

It worked fine for about an hour at first, then the Internet connection suddenly stopped working. My desktop that is connected thru the same router via ethernet cable works completely fine. No one was fiddling with the connection/router/modem when it happened.

I have tried:
    -configuring router as shown in manual
    -resetting everything
    -Network Magic
    -ipconfig/renew
    -ipconfig/release (says the operation requires elevation, which I don't understand)
    -switching off ALL firewalls

- Signal strength is not a problem since I have been testing them next to the router, and the Sharing Center says it's good/excellent.
    - According to laptop's Network and Sharing Centre, I'm connected to the router, but not the net.
    - According to laptop's Network Magic's Network Map, the router is offline even though it's on.
    - According to desktop's Network Magic's Network Map, the laptop is offline.
    - Both Network Magic and Sharing Centre are unable to repair the connection.
    - Everything is plugged in properly.

Any help would really be appreciated.

what kind of laptop?

Acer Aspire 5580

Have you updated the driver of your wireless adapter to suit Vista?

See: http://www.radarsync.com/vista/index.php?vendor=Intel

Ok updated. Restarted laptop too. Nothing's improved.

there are 2 slide buttons right next to the audio inputs on the front of the laptop...1 is for bluetooth and the other for is for your wireless ...the one closest to the audio inputs is for your wireless ( the symbol looks like a circle with a dot in the middle)....slide that to the right and hold it for about 5-10 seconds then release(you might hear a low toned beep) ...start your system then report back

held it for 10 seconds, released, restarted system, and the in-built network adapter is turned off.

nothing unusual happened.

now I've switched it back on, and it is still unable to reach the net.

can you ping the router?

Are you sure the card is the wireless 'on' ? When you hit refresh to view available wireless networks does it appear to search (hourglass) or does it just immediately say nothing is available?

Is the light on the switch I asked you to slide on....that will tell you if you're receiving a signal.

Any other wireless devices in the house ....phone..etc...that might conflict ? Have you tried a different channel?

Is the router configured to use DHCP thereby assigning LAN IP's? Is your laptop configured to obtain an IP address automatically or do you have a static LAN IP set up for use with your former router?
    Do an ipconfig /all from a command prompt and see what your IP is as well as your gateway IP. If you're picking up a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx IP, then the router isn't assigning the laptop a working IP.
    You may need to do an ipconfig /release followed by ipconfig /renew (note the space before the /)

here's something that totally baffles me:

I uninstalled Network Magic from both my computers. I switched off and unplugged everything and started again from scratch.

I followed the standard procedures and plugged both comps into the router, and the router into the modem, and the modem to the "cable box".

Then I tried connecting both to the net, but failed even after restarting everything.

Next, I installed Network Magic on my desktop. Restarted everything. Now desktop's working fine.

Here's the strange part: My laptop is connecting to the net this time - without Network Magic!

Any idea how the heck this is happening?

cable box ? I'm not aware of any ISP requiring a cable box above and beyond the modem/router they issue...what kind of modem is it?

Actually, I don't know what it's called. It's just that thing that I'm supposed to connect my cable modem to for internet connection.

Seems like my problems aren't over yet. I get disconnected for about 1 min or so, 3-4 times a day now, even though my Network and Sharing Centre in Windows assures me that the connection is fine. My games goes offline, Firefox doesn't connect to anything, but my bittorrent works, somewhat.

All the torrents stops very gradually(unlike the abrupt stop from a normal disconnection) during that minute and all the trackers cannot connect. (Does it mean it still allows incoming data, but not outgoing during that minute or so?)

And I thought it was confusing enough yesterday...

Quote Originally Posted by Senor_Hybrido View Post
    Actually, I don't know what it's called. It's just that thing that I'm supposed to connect my cable modem to for internet connection.

Seems like my problems aren't over yet. I get disconnected for about 1 min or so, 3-4 times a day now, even though my Network and Sharing Centre in Windows assures me that the connection is fine. My games goes offline, Firefox doesn't connect to anything, but my bittorrent works, somewhat.

All the torrents stops very gradually(unlike the abrupt stop from a normal disconnection) during that minute and all the trackers cannot connect. (Does it mean it still allows incoming data, but not outgoing during that minute or so?)

And I thought it was confusing enough yesterday...

I may be way off base here but I'm thinking your modem is actually a modem/router and that you may be dealing with a dual NAT/DHCP issue here....remove the 'cable box' and just use your modem to your router and see what happens ...I'd lift the thing up and read and google the serial numbers to see what kind of hardware you've got there.