Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: How do I destroy my hard drive?

  1. #1
    Revenant 9mmprincess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    out where the lions roar
    Posts
    1,756

    How do I destroy my hard drive?

    My old one, that is. desktop circa 1998, ancient as the hills. I was going to throw it away, but I don't want anyone finding it, making it work, and going in and finding my stuff. it's a long shot, but it could still happen. so my question is, before I throw it away, what can I do to it physically to disable it so that the info on it can never be recovered?

    tia
    There is security in fearlessness.

  2. #2
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    70,013
    You could build a giant sling shot and shoot it into the sun!


    Or if your pressed for time, http://www.ariolic.com/activesmart/l...el-format.html

    Low level format the drive, or any secure delete program.

  3. #3
    Domesticated Primate Bastid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
    Posts
    8,020
    i figure a hammer would be quite effective or if ya wanna blow off some steam... Target practice FTW!
    Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    I often wonder if the voices in my head ever get frustrated because I'm just too damn lazy to climb that clock tower.
    Click image to enlarge
    click image to view full version

  4. #4
    resident plumber Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    .
    Posts
    13,199
    take the top off of it and remove the platers, take hammer to platers and smash them into little pieces.

    or maybe drill some holes into the drive.

  5. #5
    Tortoises R0cks :D Rivas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    10,261
    Hammer Ftw ~! :d
    To be human is to choose.


    It is better to die on your feet
    than to live on your knees.

    - Emiliano Zapata

  6. #6
    Revenant 9mmprincess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    out where the lions roar
    Posts
    1,756
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    take the top off of it and remove the platers, take hammer to platers and smash them into little pieces.

    or maybe drill some holes into the drive.
    what are platers - what do they look like?

    I can't use a secure delete program cos the puter doesn't turn on anymore. It's worked for ages tho, so I'm' thinking it's something minor - which makes me think that someone could find it and then make it work again.

    I'd shoot it but I live in the city, if I discharge a gun anywhere ppl will call the cops.

    Don't magnets ruin hard drives?
    There is security in fearlessness.

  7. #7
    SG Elite
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    26,793
    Quote Originally Posted by 9mmprincess View Post
    what are platers - what do they look like?



  8. #8
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    70,013
    Quote Originally Posted by 9mmprincess View Post
    I'd shoot it but I live in the city, if I discharge a gun anywhere ppl will call the cops.
    Take it for a drive and whack it

  9. #9
    SG Elite
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    26,793
    Just drive over it with a truck.

  10. #10
    Ohh Hell yeah.. Sava700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    24,051
    I usually keep my old ones for when I go skeet shooting.. it flings out pretty good from the thrower!

  11. #11
    Administrator YeOldeStonecat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Posts
    51,151
    On the easy side of things..many free programs out there you can download...that will erase the drive beyond safe specs.

    On the literal side of things...unscrew the cover...take some tools such as pliers, hammer, beefy screwdriver...and snap the platters.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

  12. #12
    Revenant 9mmprincess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    out where the lions roar
    Posts
    1,756
    Quote Originally Posted by CableDude View Post


    Thank you

    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Take it for a drive and whack it
    lol. the harddrive sleeps with the fishes

    Quote Originally Posted by CableDude View Post
    Just drive over it with a truck.
    If I had a truck, I would
    There is security in fearlessness.

  13. #13
    Revenant 9mmprincess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    out where the lions roar
    Posts
    1,756
    Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    On the easy side of things..many free programs out there you can download...that will erase the drive beyond safe specs.
    Quote Originally Posted by 9mmprincess View Post
    what are platers - what do they look like?

    I can't use a secure delete program cos the puter doesn't turn on anymore.
    On the literal side of things...unscrew the cover...take some tools such as pliers, hammer, beefy screwdriver...and snap the platters.
    will do... will report back on my progress tomorrow.
    There is security in fearlessness.

  14. #14
    Administrator YeOldeStonecat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Posts
    51,151
    If you have another computer available...you can slave this failed computers hard drive to it..will show up as drive letter D or E or something..and be available through My Computer. Can wipe it from there.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

  15. #15
    SG Elite
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    26,793
    Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    If you have another computer available...you can slave this failed computers hard drive to it..will show up as drive letter D or E or something..and be available through My Computer. Can wipe it from there.

    Yeah, I was going to suggest this as well.

  16. #16
    SG Enthusiast lonewolfz28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Kunsan AB, ROK
    Posts
    1,698
    No need to go overboard, just put an IBM Deskstar sticker on it.


    Seriously though, if you take it apart with a small screwdriver(or tip of a steak knife) and drop check the open drive on the concrete a half dozen times nobody's going to bother trying to get it to work again just to see what's on it. Scratch up the platters on the concrete really good and they couldn't get anything off it anyways.
    Back on the attack!

  17. #17
    SG Enthusiast Shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    4,455
    Blog Entries
    1
    Hi,
    Well.. if you want to be sure.. you can go this way. This basically matches what a lot of data security companies do, other then "melting" the hard drive.
    Hook up the drive in question, in your computer. It would be a good idea to disconnect the other ones for the time being so that only the drive in question, is set as a "single master"

    Then download and make this "darik's boot & nuke" bootable CD or bootable floppy disk or USB drive.
    http://dban.sourceforge.net/
    This free program matches or beats all overwrite functions of other comerical software.

    Choose one of the longer overwrite functions (NOTE: start early in the day, and keep your computer on till it's done.)

    After that, take some needle nose pliers and pull the pins on that are on hard drive that the hard drive cable goes into.
    After that, take 2 to 4 big nails and "hammer" them straight thru the drive.

    Very Happy!
    Now you should be all set.
    _______________________________________________
    Vendor neutral certified in IT Project Management, IT Security, Cisco Networking, Cisco Security, Wide Area Networks, IPv6, IT Hardware, Unix, Linux, and Windows server administration

  18. #18
    resident plumber Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    .
    Posts
    13,199
    you could always do what i did to a few dead drives, was fun i tell ya

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-RyF5Z7bgU

  19. #19
    Best In Show Girls Noevo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Floating in FL Red Tide
    Posts
    14,191
    we have a special tool here at work that we use. It's got a very high rate of effectiveness.

    3lb sledge

  20. #20
    Junior Member zooner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    8,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinobi View Post
    Hi,
    Well.. if you want to be sure.. you can go this way. This basically matches what a lot of data security companies do, other then "melting" the hard drive.
    Hook up the drive in question, in your computer. It would be a good idea to disconnect the other ones for the time being so that only the drive in question, is set as a "single master"

    Then download and make this "darik's boot & nuke" bootable CD or bootable floppy disk or USB drive.
    http://dban.sourceforge.net/
    This free program matches or beats all overwrite functions of other comerical software.

    Choose one of the longer overwrite functions (NOTE: start early in the day, and keep your computer on till it's done.)

    After that, take some needle nose pliers and pull the pins on that are on hard drive that the hard drive cable goes into.
    After that, take 2 to 4 big nails and "hammer" them straight thru the drive.

    Very Happy!
    Now you should be all set.
    my perfered method as well.

    I run that, then toss them into a local creek.

Similar Threads

  1. "3 Terabyte hard drive possible with new technology?"
    By Andrzej in forum General Discussion Board
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-13-07, 06:18 AM
  2. formatting new HD...problem oh yes, a problem
    By Bastid in forum Hardware & Overclocking
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 01-04-07, 06:07 PM
  3. Hard drive crashing problem
    By JOEBEME in forum Hardware & Overclocking
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-09-06, 02:49 PM
  4. GamePC: Shattering The Half Terabyte Mark : 500 GB Hard Drive Shootout
    By YeOldeStonecat in forum Hardware & Overclocking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-28-06, 05:56 AM
  5. a big hard drive problem
    By mike19 in forum Hardware & Overclocking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-03-05, 08:39 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •