Thread: Computer running HORRIBLE. Help please!

Computer running HORRIBLE. Help please!

Well, my computer has been running very very crappy lately. Where to begin? Well 1st, check disk is ALWAYS enabled when i restart or turn on my comp. Programs take WAY to long to load, sometimes not even loading and or coming up with an error. Sometimes my task manager.exe doesn't like to work either. I can't play videos or music because it doesn't play sound. Videos play vid, but no sound. .Mp3 files don't even bother playing. When i go to play any game it almost always results in a bsod; It brings up some recent hardware install or something, but i didn't install anything major 2 weeks prior to this. I can't install some programs like the newest adaware either. Constant random freezes that last for a minute or two also. I have Spyware Guard, Spybot, Spyware Blaster, and Adaware. I also have Norton System works 05 Premier. Everything up-to-date. Except windows updates (personally had bad experiences with em... I.E: Extreme slow performance). Can anybody help me, or atleast tell me what is wrong...? I highly expect needing a reformat, that's just the last thing i want to do though. If you need anymore information i will be glad to provide it.

P4 3.0ghz HT
    Intel 865 Perl
    Windows XP Pro SP2
    ATi X850 Pro. Cat 7.5
    1GB DDR2

It sounds like your Hard drive may be on it's way out. You'll get those types of errors when there are a lot of bad sectors. Your CPU may be over heating, check the fan. Check all your fans.

You could try booting to safe mode "Command Prompt Only" and type:

chkdsk C: /r

Note:If C is not your system drive replace C above with the correct letter.

Then hit [enter]

It will take a long time, maybe even over night or longer. But it will move data from bad sectors and mark the bad ones so windows won't use them any more.
    If it does find a lot of bad sectors, get any important data of if you can, and get a new drive.

Spyware or Viruses could also cause this type thing too.
    Take the hard drive out, and plug it into another computer with a good updated anti virus, and spyware program like Spybot and scan it. Disconnect the CD and use it's cable, and power connector for the bad hard drive.

P.S. Disconnect the power cord before going into the case, and while your case is open clean out the dust, especially around any vents, fans, and the CPU heat sink. Use a clean new paint brush (horsehair type if you can) to scrub the dust with, and touch the metal of the case to discharge any static built up inside yourself. Use a vacuum to suck up the dust as you scrub.
    Last edited by Norm; 06-02-07 at 09:00 AM.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    I agree with Norm above....I suspect your hard drive is about to go belly up....I'd consider replacing it.

You certainly have adequate horsepower in that your PC should not be slow (nice motherboard). The fact that checkdisk is running almost each time you reboot..tells me your drive is failing.

Obtaining a new hard drive, using a cloning program (the drive may come with it on a CD if you purchase a retail boxed one..if not...free download from their site)...checkdisk your old drive so as to hope it's as error free as possible, clone to new drive. Swap drives...run CCleaner, checkdisk again, defrag (in safe mode)...and see how she does.

While you're at it...replace your drives data cable...I've seen faulty cables cause frequent drive errors.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Yes. I will run chkdsk from the command prompt tonight before i go to sleep. I got 2 120gb seagates. And they aren't really that old, but, you guys are the professionals here, not me. I always keep my case side off because it over heats. But i can hear my cpu fan spin wtfo when i play certain games. It doesn't overheat without playing a game unless it is way to hot in my room. Thanks for the help. If the suggestions i was given don't work, which im sure they will work; i'll be back.

Quote Originally Posted by SupraRZ95 View Post
    Yes. I will run chkdsk from the command prompt tonight before i go to sleep. I got 2 120gb seagates. And they aren't really that old, but, you guys are the professionals here, not me. I always keep my case side off because it over heats. But i can hear my cpu fan spin wtfo when i play certain games. It doesn't overheat without playing a game unless it is way to hot in my room. Thanks for the help. If the suggestions i was given don't work, which im sure they will work; i'll be back.
    Unfortunately, I've seen brand new hard disks die in 3 days or last 10 years -- it's a crapshoot. Some brands tend to last longer, on average, is the general consensus though.

Yeah, that is true. Hard drives are meant to fail.

How hong have you been running this system and how uot of date is the OS?

I've been running it for about 7 months since last reformat. I dont know how old the os is. If you could tell me how to find out i can do that. I did the check disk at start up with the 5 steps. But when it finished, the results or something came up real fast below the steps and the computer restarted...? Was that the results or something else unimportant?

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Most cases are designed...so that airflow comes in on the bottom of the case up front...cooling the hard drives, crosses over the motherboard...and out the top rear of the case. This crossflow is important. Taking off the side of the case can hamper this, especially the important intake of air which was cooling your hard drives. The hard drives are now left to bake.

Seagates are my favorite brand of hard drive...but uncooled..doesn't matter how good the drive is..heat is their enemy.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I've been running it for about 7 months since last reformat. I dont know how old the os is. If you could tell me how to find out i can do that. I did the check disk at start up with the 5 steps. But when it finished, the results or something came up real fast below the steps and the computer restarted...? Was that the results or something else unimportant?
    Was just curious how many updates behind you were. Do you have a virus scanner/firewall?

Sounds like you've tried but left gaps in your protection, might be best to backup and format.

Yeah, when i lived in San Diego i always had my room cool enough for my computer. But now i moved to Denver and my top floor (3rd) gets pretty hot for a period of days. I guess that was probably the problem. But when i left my case off my cpu didn't over heat. So i always kept it off. And my case is exactly how you describe. http://www.xoxide.com/lianlipc751.html That is like my case. But it is mid and there aren't 3 small fans in the back but still 2 up front, 2 in back, 1 on top. My next computer though will be water cooled or a/c'ed.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Was just curious how many updates behind you were. Do you have a virus scanner/firewall?

Sounds like you've tried but left gaps in your protection, might be best to backup and format.
    Updates? Like windows? Dunno. Just a sp2 with net frame work and DX 9.0c and other stuff. I have Norton System Works Premier 2005 and Sygate Personal Firewall Pro and a Linksys Wireless G. It's weird though, sometimes my Nortons smc.exe randoms gets those 0x00000 errors and my pest patrol ppmemcheck.exe crashes and that error report window comes up.

well norton sucks IMO

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    well norton sucks IMO
    What do you recommend i should use?

For virus protection, Active Virus Shield is free, good one, based off of kaspersky.

Alright i just d/l it and installed and restarted but now it wont execute.... Haha, this is so frustrating.

Ok, fixed it. I Changed my page file from system cache to program usage. And it seemed to fix things. But I'm going to keep my guard up.