Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help with wireless network via cable modem

Question help with wireless network via cable modem

Ok here is the deal that is driving my crazy. I have a SB5120 Motorola cable modem from comcast. I want to hook up a wireless router to that modem so I can have a wireless network. I plugged my router into into the modem. I plugged the modem into the computer and I plugged the router into the computer. The router isn't getting the internet connection. It is getting the wireless signal and power. I have read online but I am not sure what I need to do to get the internet connection on the router. My laptop can see the netgear router and connect to it but the internet doesn't work because the router doesn't have an internet connection. Any ideas

Here's the hookup:
    1. turn off comp, unplug modem, unplug router. 9unplug = pull out the power cords)
    2. connect modem to router wan port using the cat5 cable.
    3. plug in cable modem and wait until modem synchronizes.
    4. plug in router and wait until it's fully booted.
    5. boot computer.

You should now have networking up. However, the router is not configured for wifi yet. To config the wifi, follow the instructions for your router. This is config's via a web browser and it's best to config the router using a wired connection, so use a cat 5 cable from comp to router lan port and access the router control panel by typing the router address in browser address bar.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

I did all that like you said. I still can't access the router isp. it keeps saying page not loaded. the router still has no internet access

how do I set the sb5120 motorola modem into bridge mode. I have been told that works

Quote Originally Posted by djc122984 View Post
    how do I set the sb5120 motorola modem into bridge mode. I have been told that works
    Bridge mode is automatic and is already established in the mode. It's a bridge between usb & ethernet. The connection & setup should work as I outlined above IF you follow all the steps in sequence. Do NOT use usb, use ethernet!

LRH

Ok here is my setup. I have a motorola sb5120 it plugs into the computer via usb. it has one ethernet port that I used to plug into the router. i plugged the router into the computer. what am I doing wrong. should I call comcast

It works like this:

modem plugged into -> router wan port <- computer plugged into router lan port

You CANNOT use and DO NOT need the usb at all UNLESS your router has a usb port.

You need a cat5 cable from baqck of modem connected to the WAN port on the router. The comp then connects also using a cat5 cable to the router LAN port.

LRH

ok. I repeated the steps like you said. It still doesn't work. I can't access the ip address of the router. the router is plugged in to the modem and the router is plugged into the computer. Do I need to call comcast to have them set something on my line? The green light is still blinking fast for the internet on my netgear router.

Are you sure they are plugged into the correct ports? Modem > router WAN port, comp to router LAN port. And are you using a crossover cat5 cable between modem & router? Must be a crossover. Netgear router access via browser us usually 192.168.0.1.

LRH

yea. I just read online with the modem I have you have to call and pay extra for the feature to use a wireless router.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Unplug the USB cable that's between your PC and the SB5120...you will no longer use this, as you want to use the ethernet connection so you can use your router. With a single IP account from Comcast...you use one, or the other..but not both.

Power off your SB5120 for several minutes. This is important.

Using a "standard straight" ethernet cable, connect the ethernet port of your SB5120 to the WAN/Internet port of your Netgear router.

For now...connect your PC to a LAN port of your Netgear router...and follow the instructions to log into the web admin page of your router. The "connection type" should be set to "obtain automatically". Once that's set...power cycle your router...release/renew your PC...and you should be good to go.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

yea. I just read online with the modem I have you have to call and pay extra for the feature to use a wireless router.
    You probably just need to clone your pc's mac address into the router.
    Never take any crap off an inanimate object!!

Never send email to this address: spam@euclidian.com. This is a spam trap and everyone sending any email to this address will be blacklisted.

I can't access the gateway of the modem. I tried typing in the ip address of the modem but it doesn't work. I tried what you said and it still doesn't work. I am lost.

You dont need to log into the modem.

Log into the router. Find the mac clone page. Many routers have a clickable box to clone the mac address of the connected computer.

What model router do you have?

Never send email to this address: spam@euclidian.com. This is a spam trap and everyone sending any email to this address will be blacklisted.

Furthermore- the 5120 shows nothing about being any kind of gateway or router.

Its just a bridge.

http://192.168.100.1 should get you to a basic page. The isp may have the page turned off though.

I can't access the gateway of the modem. I tried typing in the ip address of the modem but it doesn't work. I tried what you said and it still doesn't work. I am lost.
    You can't log into the modems default gateway, that's a primary router at your ISP. You can log into the modem itself, if you're behind a NAT router. Or log into your own router.

With Comcast...just power off their modem for several minutes as I mentioned above. I do dozens and dozens and dozens of them, often switching routers in my own house several times a month, heck I've done it several times a day. No MAC cloning needed, just power off the modem for a few minutes....done.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

ok so can one of you tell me exactly how to setup the wireless router and modem. I would like all the steps if possible. Thanks.

ok so can one of you tell me exactly how to setup the wireless router and modem. I would like all the steps if possible. Thanks.
    My first reply up above.....are the steps to add a router to Comcasts Surfboard modems.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

so turn off the modem. unplug the usb cord going from the modem to the computer. plug in the modem into the router via ethernet cable. plug the router into the computer. turn on the modem and then turn on the router. Once I do this I should be able to access the ip address admin page of the router which is 192.168.0.1. I should have internet access by then correct. what do you mean by renew and release

turn off the modem.
    turn off the computer.
    turn off the router.

go take a dump for 10 minutes!

throw usb cable in drawer.
    connect cat5 cable from modem to router wan port.
    connect cat5 cable from comp to router lan port.

turn on modem.
    wait 30 seconds - 2 minutes.
    turn on router.
    wait 30 sec - 2 minutes.
    turn on comp.

open browser.
    type router address in address bar.
    press return key.
    login to router control panle.
    configure router.

it can't be writtern much simpler than that!

LRH