Thread: Buying a used car....

Blog Entries

Buying a used car....

I am having a slight problem with the purchase of a used car. The Kelly Blue Book value is 47K (41K KBB on trade). The dealer is asking only 36K because he does not want a Cadillac on his Mercedes lot (OK... he is looking for a quick turn over). They are not looking to come down in price, which I can deal with.... but the missus cannot.

In the age of the internet, has used cars purchases become less of a negotiation than in the past (I found the car online)?

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

I believe so. When I bought the wifes Matrix, I printed out the NADA (most used by dealers) and the Edmunds value of her car. The only thing we negotiated on in the dealership was the trade-in on my Altima, otherwise, we dealt over the phone/email and once we reached a price I was happy with, I went in to the dealer.

Good luck!!
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

Quote Originally Posted by Prey521 View Post
    I believe so. When I bought the wifes Matrix, I printed out the NADA (most used by dealers) and the Edmunds value of her car. The only thing we negotiated on in the dealership was the trade-in on my Altima, otherwise, we dealt over the phone/email and once we reached a price I was happy with, I went in to the dealer.

Good luck!!
    Most dealers log on to Vintek(this may be called something different based on geography...it's marketed under different names) ....NADA is a myth ....Vintek is a service that provides them wholesale values of the vehicles (what they sold for at auction) and ......always ask for the invoice(what they paid for it) ...carfax or a title search doesn't hurt either.

and no ....you can ALWAYS negotiate....whether it's your trade in or the asking price.....this 'no negotiating' BS on I hear on the radio makes me barf

Never heard of Vintek, thanks for the heads up!!
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

David, have you considered asking for a Carmax report on the car?

Blog Entries
    Good heads up, though how would I find out the wholesale value with the VIN?

david

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Good heads up, though how would I find out the wholesale value with the VIN?

david

2 ways....

1. have someone with access run it for you ( sorry, had it at Citi but not here, NADA is pretty close)

2. Ask.....Ask them what they paid for it...specificallyto see the invoice....that way you see what they paid and how much they're makin' off it....i'd walk off any lot that didn't show me an invoice for what they're trying to sell me especially if they claim they are one of those 'no negotiation' places

I don't mean to be Mr. Negative or anything but a dealership won't waste a second to screw someone.....

One thing for sure with so much access to info, there is far less to "hide" from potential buyers. I just bought a used Escape and the dealer gladly let me see the invoice and all other info. He wouldn't come down much on the price, but he gave me more than payoff on a van I didn't expect to break even on. I'm sure profit margins have decreased in autos just like many products.

Sounds like a nice Caddy! Can it be washed with 1 square of toilet paper?
    USMC RETIRED

Steve

Tacoma Guitar Forum