Thread: DLink DIR615 & Bellsouth

Advanced Member

DLink DIR615 & Bellsouth

I was helping someone configure a Dlink DIR615 with Bellsouth DSL, Netopia modem. I got the Netopia bridged and the router configured for PPPoE. We got an IP from the modem, but could not surf. Called DLink tech support and went thru all kinds of stuff. Finally he had me set static DNS on the computer, to 4.2.2.3 & 4.2.2.3. He said something was messed up on the computer that was not making Dynamic assignment of DNS work. I think he was wrong, because I had to do the same for the other computer, wireless, to be able to surf.

I think the Dlink is not passing the DNS properly. He had a problem with his first Dlink and I recommend Netgear or Linksys, but he didn't listen. Either that or the Netopia modem just doesn't play well with a router. I helped 2 other people do this who had Bellsouth, but had Westel modems and had no trouble.

Any help here would be appreciated!

Thanks!!!
    Last edited by Qui-Gon John; 05-24-07 at 07:57 AM.

fem the retarded rabbit mccoffee's Avatar
    I think the netopia has to be in bridge mode the static ips should be assigned the steps for the manual ips is herehttp://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=177
    Comptia a+ n+

Advanced Member
    The Netopia is in bridge mode. And when the router connects to the Netopia, it shows it is getting DNS IP's. But it doesn't seem to be passing them to the PC's on the LAN side. Will read over the link you provided. Thanks.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Or use the Netopia in it's normal mode....as a NAT router, flip the DLink to access point mode.

Can you confirm the DLink is getting public IPs on the WAN interface?
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Advanced Member
    Yes, the Dlink is getting a public IP from Bellsouth, set to PPPoE mode, with the Netopia in Bridge Mode. When I look at the Status page on the Dlink, I not only see the IP, but the 2 DNS IP's. But for some reason, any PC's on the LAN side are not getting the DNS info.

How can the Netopia be used as a NAT router, as far as I know, it will only assign 1 IP. Not sure of the model, but it has DSL in, ETH or USB out, that is all. It is not a model with multiple ports/wireless out (not a gateway).

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by Qui-Gon John View Post

How can the Netopia be used as a NAT router, as far as I know, it will only assign 1 IP. Not sure of the model, but it has DSL in, ETH or USB out, that is all. It is not a model with multiple ports/wireless out (not a gateway).
    It depends on the model. Pretty much every one I've come across in my area, the ISPs use them for the business grade DSL accounts, they run as a NAT router also. I know they do make some pure modems though too...so need to check the model.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!