Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Some young U.S. Muslims approve suicide hits

Post Some young U.S. Muslims approve suicide hits

WASHINGTON - One in four younger U.S. Muslims say suicide bombings to defend their religion are acceptable at least in some circumstances, though most Muslim Americans overwhelmingly reject the tactic and are critical of Islamic extremism and al-Qaida, a poll says.

The survey by the Pew Research Center, one of the most exhaustive ever of the country’s Muslims, revealed a community that in many ways blends comfortably into society. Its largely mainstream members express nearly as much happiness with their lives and communities as the general public does, show a broad willingness to adopt American customs, and have income and education levels similar to others in the U.S.

Even so, the survey revealed noteworthy pockets of discontent.

While nearly 80 percent of U.S. Muslims say suicide bombings of civilians to defend Islam can not be justified, 13 percent say they can be, at least rarely.

That sentiment is strongest among those younger than 30. Two percent of them say it can often be justified, 13 percent say sometimes and 11 percent say rarely.

“It is a hair-raising number,” said Radwan Masmoudi, president of the Washington-based Center for the Study of Islam and Democracy, which promotes the compatibility of Islam with democracy.

He said most supporters of the attacks likely assumed the context was a fight against occupation — a term Muslims often use to describe the conflict with Israel.

‘We have crazies just like other faiths have them’
    Muslims in the United States have growing Internet and television access to extreme ideologies, he said, adding: “People, especially younger people, are susceptible to these ideas.”

Federal officials have warned that the U.S. must be on guard against homegrown terrorism, as the British suffered with the London transit bombings of 2005.

Even so, U.S. Muslims are far less accepting of suicide attacks than Muslims in many other nations. In surveys Pew conducted last year, support in some Muslim countries exceeded 50 percent, while it was considered justifiable by about one in four Muslims in Britain and Spain, and one in three in France.

“We have crazies just like other faiths have them,” said Eide Alawan, who directs interfaith outreach at the Islamic Center of America in Dearborn, Mich., one of the nation’s largest mosques. He said killing innocent people contradicts Islam.

Actions to ‘defend Islam’
    Andrew Kohut, Pew director, called support for the attacks “one of the few trouble spots” in the survey.

The question did not specify where a suicide attack might occur, who might carry it out or what was meant by using a bombing to “defend Islam.”

In other findings:

Only 5 percent of U.S. Muslims expressed favorable views of the terrorist group al-Qaida, though about a fourth did not express an opinion.
    Six in 10 said they are concerned about a rise in Islamic extremism in the U.S., while three in four expressed similar worries about extremism around the world.
    Yet only one in four consider the U.S. war on terrorism a sincere attempt to curtail international terror. Only 40 percent said they believe Arab men carried out the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.
    By six to one, they say the U.S. was wrong to invade Iraq, while a third say the same about Afghanistan — far deeper than the opposition expressed by the general U.S. public.
    Just over half said it has been harder being a U.S. Muslim since the 9/11 attacks, especially the better educated, higher income, more religious and young. Nearly a third of those who flew in the past year say they underwent extra screening because they are Muslim.
    The survey estimates there are roughly 2.35 million Muslim Americans. It found that among adults, two-thirds are from abroad while a fifth are native-born black Americans.

By law, the Census Bureau does not ask about peoples’ religions.

Telephone interviews were conducted with 1,050 Muslim adults from January through April, including some in Arabic, Urdu and Farsi. Subjects were chosen at random, from a separate list of households including some with Muslim-sounding names, and from Muslim households that had participated in previous surveys.

The margin of sampling error was plus or minus 5 percentage points.

Better stop this might get closed.
    - Reps for being a smartass.
    SG Sh!!t List

Bouncer, downhill, John, Kip Patterson, Roody, YeOldeStonecat, Ken, Philip, David, Indy, Noevo.

Quote Originally Posted by Spammy View Post
    Better stop this might get closed.
    I like to live dangerously.

Well luckily the federal government doesn't have a problem with killing them as punishment either.
    She's presenting like a mandrill!

Certified SG Addict
    You're KILLING me by quoting the article but not providing a source link.

Quote Originally Posted by Burke View Post
    You're KILLING me by quoting the article but not providing a source link.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070522/...slim_americans

BTW, did they round up the ones that approved of the bombings? That woulda been sweet!
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

Quote Originally Posted by 64bit View Post
    Well luckily the federal government doesn't have a problem with killing them as punishment either.

Whats wrong with this statement.
    She's presenting like a mandrill!

This < 30 Muslim says hell no to suicide bombing

Quote Originally Posted by 64bit View Post

Whats wrong with this statement.

kill 'em twice just in case

Besides blowing themselves up for several decades. Have muslims gained anything beyond hate-rid for their religion by non-muslims? Not a very bright way to gain support for a cause.
    USAF RETIRED

Aside from being the fastest growing religon?

I know the solution to world peace -- lets have a (SG sponsored) crappy 80's video with a rapper dressed sort of like MC HAMMER (Ala "Don't Copy that Floppy") telling EVERYONE that blowing each other up is decidedly a BAD idea.

I gave up a long time ago. I know the world sucks and I can't change it so I just do my best to be a productive member of the American society. I have no desire to be a political or religious leader, just a leader in my field.

R.I.P. 2017-10-02 Joint Chiefs of Staff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Amro View Post
    I know the solution to world peace -- lets have a (SG sponsored) crappy W's video with a rapper dressed sort of like MC HAMMER (Ala "Don't Copy that Floppy") telling EVERYONE that blowing each other up is decidedly a BAD idea.

I gave up a long time ago. I know the world sucks and I can't change it so I just do my best to be a productive member of the American society. I have no desire to be a political or religious leader, just a leader in my field.
    It's always sad that the bright Muslims such as yourself get overshadowed by the remarks and actions of other Muslims. Hell, that goes the same for any religion.
    >>Cult Master of International Affairs<<

Quote Originally Posted by Joint Chiefs of Staff View Post
    Hell, that goes the same for any religion.
    That it most definitely does.

"religion of peace" yeah right this reminds me of a story:

A jew walks onto a crowded subway and yells "Baruch Hashem", everyrone pretty much ignores him

A christian walks onto a crowded subway and yells "Jesus is the way must be saved" everyone ignores

A muslim walks onto the subway and yells "Allah is great" everyone runs for the life

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosthunter View Post

A jew walks onto a crowded subway and yells "Baruch Hashem", everyrone pretty much ignores him

A christian walks onto a crowded subway and yells "Jesus is the way must be saved" everyone ignores

A muslim walks onto the subway and yells "Allah is great" everyone runs for the life
    Nice. For that, you get THREE kindergarten stars!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosthunter View Post

Islam, The religion of peace. (Believe it or else!)

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
    Last edited by Xpunge; 05-24-07 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Pieces, peace. What's the big deal!
    09-f9-11-02-9d-74-e3-5b-d8-41-56-c5-63-56-88-c0

"Appeasers feed the crocodile, hoping it will eat them last." - Winston Churchill

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi

I thought it was "pieces"
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

Quote Originally Posted by Prey521 View Post
    I thought it was "pieces"
    My bad, confusing Piece's and peace..

Du'Oh

Edit comming up!
    09-f9-11-02-9d-74-e3-5b-d8-41-56-c5-63-56-88-c0

"Appeasers feed the crocodile, hoping it will eat them last." - Winston Churchill

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi

I was going for the whole blowing themselves up to smitherines comparison