Thread: Wii + DVD any time soon?

Question Wii + DVD any time soon?

I'm moving out of my apartment into a dorm this fall. I am buying a 27" lcd tv for the foot of my bed. I wanted to get a wii for the snes and n64 games you could download. I also wanted it to sub as a DVD player as well.

Do you guys know when they will be able to play dvd movies?

No clue sorry, Jim might know.
    To be human is to choose.

It is better to die on your feet
    than to live on your knees.

- Emiliano Zapata

In all honesty, I would hope Nintendo will add a "DVD channel" at some point, but I don't know if that'll ever happen. They've stated time and time again how a Wii DVD player isn't needed, due to the fact that almost every other multimedia device has one included.

But the fact remains: The Wii has a DVD drive, and while it's far from being a computing powerhouse, it has more than enough CPU power for even a basic software DVD decoder.

Nintendo's stubbornness is the only thing to prevent it from ever happening.

So it is a lack of software...not hardware?

I was thinking the current ones did not have the hardware capability to play a dvd movie and that would be included in future ones. But if it is just a lack of nintendo making the software and every will has the potential to be a dvd player I guess I'll go ahead and get one!

My question has nothing to do with this thread title but I have to ask ...are there any games (horror genre/fantasy/adventure) for Wii ?
    To be human is to choose.

It is better to die on your feet
    than to live on your knees.

- Emiliano Zapata

Resident Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Shagster View Post
    So it is a lack of software...not hardware?

I was thinking the current ones did not have the hardware capability to play a dvd movie and that would be included in future ones. But if it is just a lack of nintendo making the software and every will has the potential to be a dvd player I guess I'll go ahead and get one!
    A "DVD Edition" Wii has been rumored for some time, but there's no real basis for it. Yeah, the Wii probably lacks any sort of dedicated hardware for that task, as well as other niceties (such as an optical or HD output), but I fail to see a single reason why a simple piece of software wouldn't be able to accomplish such a simple task.

If that's the only thing holding you back from getting the system, I'd just go for it. Even if Nintendo were to make a special version that allowed DVD playback, I'd imagine it being a niche product, like the Q.

As far as horror goes, you basically only have the Game Cube titles (Resident Evil, Eternal Darkness, etc.) at this point, although a Wii-exclusive version of RE is in the works.

I can't find the list of the games from the wii channel you can download for like $10. Do any of you have it bookmarked?

http://wii.nintendo.com/virtualconsole.jsp

New games (usually three a week) are added every Monday.

While they don't offer demo or trial versions of the games at the moment, the link there shows 30-second clips of each title to give you an idea of what it looks and plays like.

The Wii points translate to dollars simply by chopping off a couple zeroes.

1,000 Wii points = $10
    800 Wii points = $8
    500 Wii points = $5

etc.

Eek, I thought it would be a lot more games than that. There were a bunch of n64 games I wanted like quest 64 and pilot wings. The only actual wii game i was is Tiger Woods Golf.

I'll sit on it for a bit and keep checking up for game updates.

The SNES version of Pilotwings should show up in the coming weeks, but no word on the 64 version.

As you can tell, there are far more games for the older systems than the 64 at this point in time.

So are they slacking or working on something else?

I remember reading about them saying they will add multiplayer over the internet and other things.

All I've seen is the same childish lineup of games the gamecube had.

All personal opinion though. I miss sega consoles

They're probably just trying to space the releases out a bit, as opposed to blowing their whole load in the first few months that the system is out. They haven't skipped a beat in releasing a few titles each week, but you will sometimes go weeks at a time without a decent title hitting (I mean, c'mon, the 1985 version of NES baseball?). Others can be found cheaper in compilation form elsewhere, such as the $20 Sega Genesis collection for the PS2 (which includes 28 games at a cheaper price than buying just 3 Genesis VC titles).

Unfortunately, at this time, all of the VC games are straight-up ports. No graphical enhancements, no online co-op or multiplayer, just the original game in its original form. In some rare cases, like with Mario Kart 64, you actually lose the ability to save your best lap times in ghost form, since the Wii doesn't emulate a 64 memory pak at this time. Although they typically only have one release a week, the XBOX Live Arcade does a much better job of releasing enhanced versions of old titles (such as the TMNT arcade game, with 4-player online co-op, for $5), if that's what you're looking for.

"Mature" games have never been a strength of Nintendo's consoles. Sure, they've had their share of great ones, but they're very few and far between. A PC, 360, or PS3 will give you far more in that area.