Thread: high download speeds, but terrible surfing speeds - comcast

high download speeds, but terrible surfing speeds - comcast

Hello, I've had a problem with my internet for about 5 or so months now and I'm at wit's end

5 months ago, my computer had a major virus and had to be reformatted (if that's the right term)

prior to being reformatted, the internet connection was a dream even though it had a virus: everything was fast, and it wouldn't even take a second to load web pages. i attribute this to the fact that my computer is connected directly to the modem, no wireless connectivity at all.

after, getting it reformatted, however, I noticed a major connectivity problem.
    it would take forever to load web pages, and sometimes web pages wouldn't even load. i would have to stop loading the page and then reload the page up to, at most, 10 or more times to get a page to load. videos wouldn't work, or they would only load a little bit before stopping - 95% of the time, i can't watch videos because the videos wont even start to load, no matter how many times i refresh or restart the computer.
    at the beginning, i thought it was just something wrong with comcast, like their service was having trouble or something.

but then i noticed a couple of weird things:
    1) my father's computer, which has a wireless card and has always been slower than mine internet-wise, was still at the same speed

2) whenever I would download something, the speed would be at what it was before (100+ kbs a second), but more often then not the download would stop for no reason and i would have to restart the download and hope it didn't stop randomly.

3) AIM and any other instant messaging service would not work, period. they wouldn't connect no matter what.

confused, i went to a few sites to test my internet speed
    sure enough, the test downloads were initially fast but then randomly stopped.
    and one site had this to say, strangely:

Communications 1.3 megabits per second
    Storage 162.1 kilobytes per second
    1MB file download 6.3 seconds
    Subjective rating Good

i'm at wit's end. I would have somebody from comcast check it out, but I'm 17 years old without a job (though i'm going for an interview next week) and no spending money. plus, my parents are not the kind of parents that pay for anything, i always have to earn money if i want something (unless its my birthday or christmas or some other special occasion)

ok, well, what i'm asking is this:

how can i fix this?
    how can i check what's really wrong?
    is there anything you can even suggest?

please, please answer this questions and give me detailed instructions on how to fix this, i know absolutely nothing about computers and internet connections so i have almost no idea on how to check things out.

thanks in advance.

Windows firewall or another firewall software running?

Same with antivirus software?

did you load the mobo drivers and/or network card drivers?? If for example a NForce mobo then it needs nforce drivers.. you gotta make sure you have the proper drivers to get the full potential out of everything. Also make sure you've gotten all the microsoft updates for your PC www.windowsupdate.com

Quote Originally Posted by Goddwyn View Post
    Windows firewall or another firewall software running?

Same with antivirus software?
    yes...i turned them both off to try and see if that was the problem but i still had problems

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    did you load the mobo drivers and/or network card drivers?? If for example a NForce mobo then it needs nforce drivers.. you gotta make sure you have the proper drivers to get the full potential out of everything. Also make sure you've gotten all the microsoft updates for your PC www.windowsupdate.com
    i have no idea what mobo drivers are, if i need to load them, or where to get them

actually if you could point me to a site where i can get them i'm sure i could figure out the rest

and the windowsupdate website won't load for me.
    Last edited by HawksteinPLUs; 05-16-07 at 09:57 PM. Reason: forgot to add something.

What kind of computer is it? Or is it a custom build?

If it's custom you need to get the motherboard model number, then go to the maufacturers website and download the drivers..

If its a HP, Comaq, Dell, IMB, Toshiba, Gateway ect... You will have to go to their website and get the drivers..

Windows update = http://update.microsoft.com

Quote Originally Posted by HawksteinPLUs View Post
    i have no idea what mobo drivers are, if i need to load them, or where to get them

actually if you could point me to a site where i can get them i'm sure i could figure out the rest

and the windowsupdate website won't load for me.
    motherboard drivers..are really called "Chip Set drivers" If your network adaptor is built in to the motherboard vs a seperate PCI card then you need the manufactures drivers for that motherboard or the chip set drivers. If its a Nvidia chip set then you can get those drivers from www.nvidia.com just browse to downloads and follow the tabs till you get to the ones you need.. its usually wise to download all this stuff before you format or from another computer, put on a CD or flash USB drive to have ready when you reinstall everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    motherboard drivers..are really called "Chip Set drivers" If your network adaptor is built in to the motherboard vs a seperate PCI card then you need the manufactures drivers for that motherboard or the chip set drivers. If its a Nvidia chip set then you can get those drivers from www.nvidia.com just browse to downloads and follow the tabs till you get to the ones you need.. its usually wise to download all this stuff before you format or from another computer, put on a CD or flash USB drive to have ready when you reinstall everything.
    thanks, but there still is kind of a problem

i found out that I needed to update this nvidia nforce networking controller (its version is 4.4.2) so I went to nvidia.com

i find the driver that I need (its version 6.86) so I download the installer and install it

i restart my computer and look up the driver version to make sure....and it still says version 4.4.2 and the last time it was updated was 2004 (the driver i downloaded was released in 2006)
    confused, i uninstall the driver and run the installer i downloaded again..it says the driver has been installed successfully, so i restart the computer.

i look up the driver version again and it STILL says 4.4.2! what's going on?

Quote Originally Posted by HawksteinPLUs View Post
    thanks, but there still is kind of a problem

i found out that I needed to update this nvidia nforce networking controller (its version is 4.4.2) so I went to nvidia.com

i find the driver that I need (its version 6.86) so I download the installer and install it

i restart my computer and look up the driver version to make sure....and it still says version 4.4.2 and the last time it was updated was 2004 (the driver i downloaded was released in 2006)
    confused, i uninstall the driver and run the installer i downloaded again..it says the driver has been installed successfully, so i restart the computer.

i look up the driver version again and it STILL says 4.4.2! what's going on?
    you'r updated..or should be. But main question is did that fix your problem? And have you tried now to download and install all windowsupdates?