Latest edition to the family....upgraded boat

Went from my 15' Baja SS with a 90hp...

To an 18' Baja SS with a 175 Merc Black Maxx

MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Nice boat! Plenty of horsepower!

Not to good for trolling though.

R.I.P. 2017-10-02 Joint Chiefs of Staff's Avatar
    Nice! Love the colors too. Someday I'll get me another boat. Raised on the Chesapeake and can't get the salt water out of my blood.
    >>Cult Master of International Affairs<<

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by downhill View Post
    Nice boat! Plenty of horsepower!

Not to good for trolling though.
    Yeah...she'd be a little thirsty for that....and probably noisy...I haven't had a V-6 outboard before...always had inline 2's, 3's, and V-4's...not sure how she idles. I believe she is 2.4 or 2.5 liters. Pair of built in 20 gallon gas tanks...one in the bow, one behind the rear bench seat in the stern.

She'll get some fishing in though.....the way we do flat fishing out here (flounder)....Dave's World and I head out into the sound early in the morning...fly upwind....kill engine...load sand eel on hook....drop into water about 2 feet off of the bottom...crack a beer...lay back in seat....crank some tunes....and drift downwind across the sandy/gravely eelgrass beds. Once downwind at the end of the strip that I like...reel in..head back upwind..repeat process. Fill bucket with flounder, belly with beer, done about 11am and head back home. Fillet flounder...cook, enjoy!
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post

She'll get some fishing in though.....the way we do flat fishing out here (flounder)....Dave's World and I head out into the sound early in the morning...fly upwind....kill engine...load sand eel on hook....drop into water about 2 feet off of the bottom...crack a beer...lay back in seat....crank some tunes....and drift downwind across the sandy/gravely eelgrass beds. Once downwind at the end of the strip that I like...reel in..head back upwind..repeat process. Fill bucket with flounder, belly with beer, done about 11am and head back home. Fillet flounder...cook, enjoy!

Sounds like an easy and relaxing day......beer and tunes.....and a fish fry at night.

My Merc 115 had one hell of idle..I'm sure your will be a little worse

Looks great man...bet you can't wait to get it out there huh

Boat!

That looks like a LOT of fun. I wish I had more exposure to boats growing up.

Quote Originally Posted by fastchevy View Post
    My Merc 115 had one hell of idle..I'm sure your will be a little worse
    You had the older inline 6 one didn't you? Man those had some serious nut. Awesome sound wide open too.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Fillet flounder...cook, enjoy!

Shhweeeet. Looks nice Brian. Heavier, should ride better. Fuel- yep... they're thirsty. Best economy usually about 75-80% WOT. WOT should be around 5500 or so- which means about 4000-4200 sweet spot. But hell.... it's only gas, and faster is more fun . If it can twist past 5600 with light load, it needs more prop. My only suggestion is use Mercury/Quicksilver oil- nothing else. Real important with oil injected 2-strokes. They are definitely tuned for the viscosity of the OEM stuff, and it keeps them from fouling at low RPMs too. Nice. With the right prop, I would guess around 65 mph ?
    Observe everything...focus on nothing..

Yeah I agree with sticking with brand name oil...I learned that lesson once a long time ago when I was around...oh, 15 or 16...the Checkmate I had back then...ran a shaved SS prop...early OMC engine with VRO...put a piston arm out the block literally doing a high speed run..think the tach was over 6200. Had some cheap oil in her at that time.

I'm hoping she do a solid 65...crossing my fingers that she'll tickle 70...but I don't know what she'll want for a prop....gotta try a few. Currently she has an aluminum prop on her...eyeballing it only looks like a 21. Also looks like he went quohogging with it...quite a few bites and chips in the leading edge. He said she ran a solid 55. I don't know the weight of the boat...I'd say she could take a few sizes larger in pitch though. I'll have to wait and see...try a few, to find that sweet spot for "out of the hole" and "top end".

I imagine yours is in the water by now? Getting ready to start spending time on her?
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Yeah I agree with sticking with brand name oil...I learned that lesson once a long time ago when I was around...oh, 15 or 16...the Checkmate I had back then...ran a shaved SS prop...early OMC engine with VRO...put a piston arm out the block literally doing a high speed run..think the tach was over 6200. Had some cheap oil in her at that time.

I'm hoping she do a solid 65...crossing my fingers that she'll tickle 70...but I don't know what she'll want for a prop....gotta try a few. Currently she has an aluminum prop on her...eyeballing it only looks like a 21. Also looks like he went quohogging with it...quite a few bites and chips in the leading edge. He said she ran a solid 55. I don't know the weight of the boat...I'd say she could take a few sizes larger in pitch though. I'll have to wait and see...try a few, to find that sweet spot for "out of the hole" and "top end".

I imagine yours is in the water by now? Getting ready to start spending time on her?
    I can bring my GPS down so you can get a true speed, but with my fat ass in the boat you'll be lucky to hit 50.

Not yet- been too cold. Glad I don't have to live on board anymore- I can sit in the house with the heat on and walk over to the boathouse. Hahahaha- lazy ass. I actually came up yesterday, but spent all day working today and couldn't get away from the phone. Had hoped to wax it so we could dunk it this weekend. Oh well- better to work up here looking at the water than at home! Did get the cover off and the batteries in it this afternoon.

I would think 65 is real reasonable. A jack plate would really help the top end. Once they plane, get em on top and raise that bad boy almost til the prop surfaces. Reduces all that lower unit drag.

Old OMC oil injection- ugh. The VRO was so sensitive to air leaks, or just about anything. I actually removed mine from my 150 on the bass boat- didn't trust it. Just mixed gas. 2nd gen they got away from variable ratio, and basically just pumped it in. Now OI is state of the art stuff- new 2-strokes run as clean as 4-strokes. Once they went to computer controlled injection instead of vacuum and mechanical, all was well. My neighbor up here just put a new 200 Ficht on his Grady White. Sweet. Quiet, smooth, no smoke. Big fluffy dollars though. Motor is almost 20 grand!

Yeah those Fichts are nice....ooooh so quiet. No more "stinkpots"...that's for sure.

The more I think about it...I should stick with crossing fingers for 65...I remember so many people in the past saying the "additional horsepower per each mph" curve starts climbing quickly between 65-70. Probably need a 225 to twist her past 70. We'll see. Same bottom as my old one..and she really ran on a wee portion of the pad when at top speed..hardly much touching the water. I'm not going to invest in a jackplate...bought this boat for a year or two....as the house I'm getting serious to purchase over in Waterford..on a big river, it's inland side of the street..but have rights to a big dock that's part of an association....about 150' down the road from this house. Quick walk. Cliff notes...can have a bigger boat...been wanting a 30-ish footer express cruiser like a SeaRay, Mainship, Maxum.

Enjoy dunking the boat....hope you don't have to haul her til fall. I'm about 2 weeks out from dunking mine. At the mechanics now having engine work done (got the boat cheap cuz engine needs a few things done), then plop in the water..mark a waterline...haul...sand, paint (virgin hull..was trailered)...dunk again.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Nice Boat YOSC!

I was going to post a link to that thread, but the SG search results for "bullsh|t" were too numerous

sometimes you have to think outside the box to get inside the box .

Yeah I forgot you salties need the antifouling no matter what. My Formula is still gelcoat- I scrub it about every 2-3 weeks at the beach with a mask to keep the slime off- wanted to avoid anti-fouling. We only get the soft freshwater growth anyway- no barnacles. Don't know if you've seen it but Petit has a line called Vivid that offers bright colors, including a PURE white- I've seen it, and it is. It's not that chalky off white like Interlux. It's a hard modified epoxy especially for high speed hulls. Regular anti-fouling kills your speed- too much drag. Anyway, this stuff is cool- you can actually burnish it to a gloss. It feels as hard to the touch as gelcoat. Not a sloughing paint, but still has biocides for growth. Awesome stuff for high speed hulls like yours, and again- the only true pure white out there.

http://www.pettitpaint.com/vivid.asp

Yeah....some nasty stuff grows quickly around here....not only barnacles, but sea squirts, slime, green fuzzy stuff that makes your boat look like it has a shag carpet on the bottom, etc etc.

Pretty quick growing too...inside of a month a short carpet of junk...especially in the warm August weeks.

Hate the annual sand 'n paint.
    Guinness for Strength!!!