Thread: Johnny Cash's Personal File CD

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Johnny Cash's Personal File CD

Johnny Cash's Personal File CD
    ---

Hi to all Cash Fans.
    If you already have it you know what i mean, when i say its terrific. If you don't, buy it.

I felt the same as the first reviewer...Like he was in the room with me. The sound is clean & powerful. His voice in wonderful form considering it was done over many years of recording.

It is intimate & captivating imho.
    ---

Reviews
    ===

This is the purest voice i've ever heard, like i was sitting next to him and he's telling me his life. One word: respect

---

Rolling Stone (p.100) - 4 stars out of 5 -- "PERSONAL FILE is unique....The package is a gift -- a remarkably intimate portrait of the artist as a middle-aged man, alone in his home, telling tales and strumming lives..." Spin (p.87) - 3 stars out of 5 -- "[H]e's still haunting." Q (p.124) - 3 stars out of 5 -- "Cash never seemed happier than when strumming the religious ditties of his youth. This is the closest we'll get to hearing them." Mojo (p.120) - 4 stars out of 5 -- "[W]eighty, cosier, more informal, like listening to a fine, 49-song, private performance..." No Depression (p.113) - "What's most striking, regardless of Cash's intent, is the calm and peace resplendent in his voice. Its strength. And its rich, easy beauty."

---

Released less than three years after Johnny Cash's passing in 2003, Legacy's two-disc PERSONAL FILE collection presents a wealth of previously unreleased material. Although the country legend recorded some of these 49 songs (including "Tiger Whitehead" and "No Earthly Good") on other occasions, the sessions here primarily showcase the Man in Black playing for his own satisfaction in the House of Cash studio, accompanied only by his acoustic guitar. While the spare tunes clearly point to Cash's lauded 1990s comeback, they were cut between '73 and '82, a time when his musical career was on the wane, but he was still well known for his television appearances and evangelical work. With no record company pressure to cater to the prevailing sound of the time, Cash sounds completely assured and at ease on these bare-bones tracks, whether covering the Louvin Brothers ("When I Stop Dreaming"), taking on traditional tunes ("Drink to Me Only with Thine Eyes"), or offering up rare originals ("It's All Over," "I Wanted So"), his bold, unmistakable baritone voice always at the fore. Though this intimate set is primarily geared toward devoted Cash fans, the performances on PERSONAL FILE, which often include spoken introductions, are so charming that those less familiar with the Man in Black will also find much to enjoy.

---

minir

Why don't we cut out the middle man here Larry, Why don't you Burn it and send me a copy?
    - Reps for being a smartass.
    SG Sh!!t List

Bouncer, downhill, John, Kip Patterson, Roody, YeOldeStonecat, Ken, Philip, David, Indy, Noevo.

Blog Entries
    Look in your PM box Spammy

minir

Quote Originally Posted by minir View Post
    Look in your PM box Spammy

minir
    Thanks Larry
    - Reps for being a smartass.
    SG Sh!!t List

Bouncer, downhill, John, Kip Patterson, Roody, YeOldeStonecat, Ken, Philip, David, Indy, Noevo.

You now both owe the RIAA 5689057290526906769823402 dollars.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    You now both owe the RIAA 5689057290526906769823402 dollars.
    ---

Hi YoS
    ---

I'll send them a copy of that amount of cash in next weeks mail.

--

minir