Thread: WRT54G Wireless can connect to internet, Cannot connect to Local LAN PCs

Question WRT54G Wireless can connect to internet, Cannot connect to Local LAN PCs

Hello All,

I have a HP Pavilion Dv1000, running Windows XP SP2. The built in wireless card is "Intel PRO/BG 2200 Wireless LAN Adapter" with the latest Intel Drivers 9.0.4.33. I just bought Linksys router WRT54G VER 7 to share my Cable Internet connection. The WRT54G is running 802.11g 54Mbps mode and has the “Standard Original Firmware’” (since third party firmware cannot be applied to WRT54G Ver 7.x)

Existing Wired Configuration:

My Cable Internet Net provider is running a Microsoft I.S.A. Proxy Server on his side (which runs NTLM based authentication, which the Internet Explore and FireFox support). A usual CAT-5 Ethernet wire from a standard Ethernet switch is running to my home, which I used to connect to my Laptop Ethernet port. So in network topology, my cable net provider is running a really big LAN over the entire neighborhood area.

My existing configuration is as follows

Outside Switch===wired connection====>Laptop (Connection info below);

1. IP Address allocated to my laptop using DHCP. The range of IP Address allocated starts from 172.16.x.x

2. Subnet is of the order 255.255.240.0

3. I have given the HOST NAME and WORKGROUP name as advised by Cable Internet Provider.

4. The DNS, Proxy Server and Gateway (automatically configured by DHCP) is 172.16.0.1. In the Web Browsers settings I have mentioned the same address for all the services and protocols , e.g FTP, HTTPS, GOPHER etc.

The web browsing and all other application including Instant Messaging application were working fine (Yahoo/Microsoft Messengers), where I have given the same proxy settings.

At the same time I can also browse my Local Area Network (LAN) in the Network Neighborhood and see all other computers connected in the same/other switches who use the same Cable Internet Service as I do, and I can access the Shared directories and files over the LAN.

My Wire LESS Configuration (Dilemma)

Outside Switch==wired connection==>WRT54G==wireless==>Laptop

In the WRT54G configuration web interface, I did select ;

1. DHCP as the configuration mode. (On the first Basic configuration page)

2. I configured only Host Name / Workgroup Name (to the same which my laptop had existing in the local area connection and network settings, since I am assuming that now the router would be talking to the ISA Proxy server).

3. Changed the SSID to a unique name of my own home network.

4. Rest of the settings are left to factory defaults, which means there is no security and encryption mode enabled WEP or WPA(1 or 2), just to make it simple.

5. Router address is default 192.168.1.1 with Subnet 255.255.255.0

6. DHCP is enable for Clients connecting to the router. The default range starts from 192.168.1.2 . Maximum DCHP Users are 40. All other fields left blank or to the value they have by default.

7. In the Advanced Routing Tab the default option is “Gateway”. All other fields left blank or to the value they have by default.

8. Router is connected and ready to accept connections now. In the “Status” page of the router Web Based Interface the Router itself now has the following connection to my Cable Internet LAN ;

Login Type: Automatic Configuration - DHCP
    IP Address: 172.16.1.239
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.240.0
    Default Gateway: 172.16.0.1
    DNS 1:
    DNS 2:
    DNS 3:
    MTU: 1500

9. My Laptop now connected in WIRELESS mode to the WRTG54G gets the following configuration in the same DHCP mode (nothing is altered in the wired or wireless connection modes on the laptop, they are in the same and default DHCP mode). The Status of the WIRELESS connection Icon now shows ;

Address Type: Assigned by DHCP (which is the router now)
    IP Address : 192.168.1.2. (one laptop so the first address from the IP Pool)
    Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
    Gateway : 192.168.1.1 (The WRT54G router itself)
    DHCP : 192.168.1.1 (The WRT54G router itself)
    DNS : 192.168.1.1 (The WRT54G router itself)

10. The Web Browser’s settings on the laptop are still the same. That is Proxy server is 172.16.0.1 and Port 8080 (as they were originally configured for the Cable Internet connection). Web browsing and all other internet based application still working fine.

My only question is , I cannot access my local LAN computers through the Network Neighborhood anymore. That is I cannot access the shared files and folders on other users computer in the LAN when connected in the wireless mode. When given the name of a local network computer in the form \\xyzcomputer , the network neigbourhood cannot find any host.

Any help or configuration tips would be highly appreciated so that I can still use the internet (via proxy server) and browse the Network Neighbourhood computers too.

Best Regards,
    S.F.Hasan.

Oh boy... You have everything on custom settings without knowing what that will do to your network.

First off.

1. You have your wireless configuration with the BSSID / SSID correctly.

2. The router sub-net IP address is a bit screwy for the LAN, the standard for the LAN is "255.255.255.0", don't confuse this setting with the WAN settings that are automatically set via your ISP. These are two different settings.

3. Are all your PCs running Microsoft Windows and if so, what versions?

4. In order for you too see all the PCs on the network, let alone access them, they all have to have the same Subnet IP addresses, like "255.255.255.0", also they need to have the same gateway listed in this case it's "192.168.1.1".

5. That is only part of the problem now, are you running your WRT54G in AP isolation mode? If you are it will isolate your wireless connection from your wired connections over the LAN, this is for tight security but in your case is not needed.

If you need a better explaination I can post one for you.