Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Here is my e4400 Asrock 4core-VSTA setup

  1. #1
    Moderator David's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Nova Caesarea
    Posts
    9,356
    Blog Entries
    1

    Here is my e4400 Asrock 4core-VSTA setup

    Also posted on hardforum... But I thought this might be of interest.

    Simple enough, I wanted to upgrade a 2500+XP, x800AIW AGP, 2GB of GEIL DDR RAM setup. The ASRock board was selected for its ability to utilize some of my old hardware (thank you to [H] forrms for the research). The 10x multiplier of the e4400 would offer the best possible results being this board does hit a wall at 291 (according to another site). From what I have read, the VSTA is not an ideal board for o/c'ing, but it is perfect for extending the life of other hardware.






    The fsb:RAM is 4:3, hence a little bit is lost. Still, I am very happy with the results of this incremental upgrade, since it was purchased for under two hundred

    david

    Hell_Yes

    Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

    "Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

    It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

  2. #2
    Forum Techie A_old's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    10,663
    not bad at all!

  3. #3
    Tortoises R0cks :D Rivas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    10,248
    way to go David



    Vista is horrible for OCing
    To be human is to choose.


    It is better to die on your feet
    than to live on your knees.

    - Emiliano Zapata

  4. #4
    Moderator David's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Nova Caesarea
    Posts
    9,356
    Blog Entries
    1
    I must say, this thing flies. It feels faster than my main machine (opty 170)

    Hell_Yes

    Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

    "Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

    It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

  5. #5
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    69,988
    I'm not familiar with Orthos testing but at 2.9ghz I would expect it to be faster than an opty 170, hell at 2ghz it might even be.

  6. #6
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    69,988
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivas View Post
    Vista is horrible for OCing
    The Vista OS will be more picky with unstable OCs, new OS, new way of doing things, new challenges.

    The VSTA board David bought has limits.

  7. #7
    Tortoises R0cks :D Rivas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    10,248
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    The Vista OS will be more picky with unstable OCs, new OS, new way of doing things, new challenges.

    The VSTA board David bought has limits.
    Every system has problem with unstable OC, not just Vista.
    It's not just his board according to this article everything what is running under XP is running faster with better benchmarks/results.
    http://firingsquad.com/hardware/wind...e_performance/
    Microsoft Windows Vista also does not play many of games for whatever reason, blame it on Nvidia or Ati if you want, I'm going to point my finger at MS.games run slower and less enjoyably on Microsoft Windows Vista, if it runs at all. I can only come to the conclusion that Microsoft Windows Vista is not entertaining.
    At the minimum, Windows Vista should have been made better than Windows XP. Unfortunately, it was not. Windows XP runs faster, better, more functionably, and more stable than Windows Vista using LESSER hardware.
    Saying this, it will cripple your system trying to get same OC on Windows Vista system, it's not about being picky, that system got so many issues it is unbelievable.
    Last edited by Rivas; 04-28-07 at 07:48 AM.
    To be human is to choose.


    It is better to die on your feet
    than to live on your knees.

    - Emiliano Zapata

  8. #8
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    69,988
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivas View Post
    Every system has problem with unstable OC, not just Vista.
    It's not just his board according to this article everything what is running under XP is running faster with better benchmarks/results.
    http://firingsquad.com/hardware/wind...e_performance/
    Microsoft Windows Vista also does not play many of games for whatever reason, blame it on Nvidia or Ati if you want, I'm going to point my finger at MS.games run slower and less enjoyably on Microsoft Windows Vista, if it runs at all. I can only come to the conclusion that Microsoft Windows Vista is not entertaining.
    At the minimum, Windows Vista should have been made better than Windows XP. Unfortunately, it was not. Windows XP runs faster, better, more functionably, and more stable than Windows Vista using LESSER hardware.
    Saying this, it will cripple your system trying to get same OC on Windows Vista system, it's not about being picky, that system got so many issues it is unbelievable.
    Ok I guess we're redirectiong David's thread.

    Its difficult to compare OS to OS benchmarking, but yes games will work better on XP until their are quality solid drivers.

    What I meant by unstable was that people may OC and then get XP working and think "Oh its stable" But in fact it might not be.

    There are plenty of people on forums that OC fine on vista, I've seen good numbers at Hardforums. The comment was made about the VSTA motherboard, which can run on XP, Vista, Linux, whatever, because like david said the fsb maxes out around 290-291. Not sure about options but I dont think it has a very tweaker happy bios either.

  9. #9
    Moderator David's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Nova Caesarea
    Posts
    9,356
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Ok I guess we're redirectiong David's thread.

    Its difficult to compare OS to OS benchmarking, but yes games will work better on XP until their are quality solid drivers.

    What I meant by unstable was that people may OC and then get XP working and think "Oh its stable" But in fact it might not be.

    There are plenty of people on forums that OC fine on vista, I've seen good numbers at Hardforums. The comment was made about the VSTA motherboard, which can run on XP, Vista, Linux, whatever, because like david said the fsb maxes out around 290-291. Not sure about options but I dont think it has a very tweaker happy bios either.
    Truthfully, I am not certain that "torture" tests challenge all eventualities of a system. They put the CPU and to an extent the memory subsystem through its paces.

    The bios in the VSTA board does permit 340 FSB, but you are correct Alan, this is not a particularly tweaker happy board. It does accomplish very well what it was meant to do, as a $55 motherboard.

    I do have Ubuntu running quite nicely on it as well. So far, it has been rock solid with everything I threw at it.

    BTW.... I did push it to 295 FSB, but pushed it back to 290 when it failed 3 hours into a Orthos.

    Hell_Yes

    Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

    "Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

    It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •