Thread: cable modem Xbox 360

cable modem Xbox 360

Hi guys. Im new to the forum here mainly because Ive been searching online for some answers on why my cable modem disconnects during online gaming with my Xbox 360. I purchased the 360 for xmas. That week prior I had my cable modem hooked up with our local cable company to get ready to play Gears of War online. Now I have a motorola surfboard SB4100 modem that I use to have connected back in 2001. I then got rid of the cable internet mainly cause I changed jobs and didnt need the high speed net at home anymore. But like I mentioned I have it now cause of the 360 mainly. Anyway, my connection to the net with my cable modem worked awesome from Dec till late Feb. I can still play online but every so often (aprox 1 hour of gaming time) my modem will boot me out of the game Im in and disconnect. The modem goes thru its blinking sequence then comes back on. I then have to log back onto XBOX LIVE and start all over again hoping I can squeeze another hour of game time out on it. Sometimes Im not so lucky and it disconnects within a half hour. It gets really annoying cause other gamers think I just quit on them and left the game. I called my cable company up and they been here twice outside my house on the pole and replaced some kind of FILTERS twice! They are coming back to my house on Wedsndsay to put a new line into the house (i guess the line thats here has been up for 5 or more years). We are not sure if its the line or not but they said its worth a shot.

But do you guys feel that it could be my cable modem (SB4100)? I was thinking maybe since it is old that something could be wrong inside the modem. I called my cable companys tech support line and the guy there said Hes been doing tech support for 20yrs and never heard of a cable modem going bad? Is he serious? I was thinking of just going to the store and pick up a new modem so when the cable company got here on wedsnday we can try that also. Any thoughts on this? Just so ya know Ive been direct connecting to the xbox 360 for a few weeks now and it still drops its connection.

Thanks for the help in advance guys!

Talking

hey dude,

it sounds like maybe the main power lead to your modem is faulty, damaged, etc.

You should add me as a friend on xbox live: Zeppelin Dude69

tell your cable company to give you a new modem, and tell them that you don't think you should have to pay for service for like the last week because their equipment was faulty and you have been paying for services not given/rendered. you maybe even able to squueze more credits than that if you're a smooth talker, but the important thing is that at least then they will be trying their best to help you out and get the situation taken care of. instead of just half-*ssed

do you ever get on halo 2 bro? send me a friend request

Good luck, and never be afraid to Demand things from a cable company, their sharks
    ~Cameron

Quote Originally Posted by GottiJr View Post
    I called my cable companys tech support line and the guy there said Hes been doing tech support for 20yrs and never heard of a cable modem going bad? Is he serious?:

that guy is an idiot. everything "goes bad" after a while, espically if you are renting the cable modem from them; are you?

Hi guys. Thanks for responding I really appreciate it. No Im not renting the cable the modem. The SB4100 motorola I purchased myself back in 2001 I believe. So I was just thinking of picking up a brand new one this weekend so when they got here on wedsnday to drop the new line in the house everything will be new.

what do you mean the main lead into the modem? something inside the modem is messed up then you believe? Like I mentioned everything works great until an hour or so ...I can host games , connection speed great then BOOM disconnect. Gotta wait till the modem goes thru its light sequence and then Im able to get back online with my 360 and play for an hour or so. Give or take.

Thanks again this help guys. Sorry for the NOOB questions but I have no clue about this stuff and I just wanted to get arm'ed with some information for when the technician is at my house next week. Appreciate it.

No never played Halo 2 all though my friends are buggin me too. Im always on Gears of War. I love that game. I plan on gettin halo 2 to prepare for halo 3 to learn the basics of it. but not until this whole disconnect problem is fixed first.

My gamer tag is : Mafia Gear

hit me up with a friends request too.
    Last edited by GottiJr; 04-20-07 at 01:47 PM.

Talking

although it may be a loose connection/splitter or something like that where the main cable "feed" come in to your home from.

if that guy doesnt fix the problem then you should go into your local office like this: point out to them that your contract/TOS should say somewhere something about quality of service

look into it, and demand credits!

It seems to me this all started right around our valentines day snow storm to be honest with you. Up until that storm everything worked great. I would be able to play games all nite if I wanted too without the modem dropping a connection at all. I mentioned this to the technician on the phone and basically said that wouldnt be the problem.

What has me wondering alot though is outside on the pole they changed a filter twice. They said something about how the filter expands and contracts in different temps or something....and it wasnt going back /contracting. Does this make any sense? I may not be describing it right but I could of swore thats what he was explaining to me. But why would two filters go bad within 3 weeks of each other. I think maybe he was just changing stuff to do so.

First off phone jockies are the newest/dumbest of the cable helpers, some are good, but most good ones are 2 or 3 transfers away, if not the company hasnt figured out they're smart yet.

Weather does affect it. it could be a signal issue or a loose connection somewhere, I'd have them check that, some places its free to have them out, other places its 40 bucks or so.

Signal: http://192.168.100.1/signal.htm

Whats your up and down DBs?

---Enhancing the last post---

if a box pops up asking you your username and password, type in: "user" for the username and "user" for the password, OR type in "root" for the username and "root" for the password.

then post your upstream and downstream Db levels