Thread: How do I share CABLE Internet?? I have modem and router

How do I share CABLE Internet?? I have modem and router

hi, i have cable internet. my modem is a Motorola SB5101 and i have a NETGEAR WGR614v6 router. i tried configuring the router and i still dont know how to share the internet. what i basically did was connect my modem to the router (ethernet port to ethernet port) and the router lan to pc via NIC. can anyone help me and tell me what i need to do coz i dont know what im doing but im trying. thx

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    You're almost there. Following the directions with your Netgear....log into the web admin, run through the setup wizard.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

i did try to use setup wizard. then the router starts to detect my internet connection and when it tries to connect to the internet a "page cannot be displayed" appear like when youre disconnected. i try again and it shows a diagram of what i exactly did. now i dont know whats wrong, and i dont know how to configure manually (lan/wan, ip, mac address, etc).

Im wanting to know the same as im on cable myself and have a wired 4 port linksys router. I have my pc and xbox 360 hooked up to it. All is well. But I have no clue how it would pan out adding another pc. I know my 360 is a game console. But all I did was plug it into my router and off I went. It would be nice if adding a pc would be the same way.

Hi to both of you,

With regard to adding a comp to your system, no problem, make sure the comp is set up to receive AUTO IP and connect up, the router will assign an IP to it and thats it, should any messages appear saying limited or no connnectivity, switch the MODEM off for at least a min then switch back on.

Regards, Ellgor.

i think my problem now is that i tried to reset my netgear router (ballpen poke the hole in the back) and it set its gateway to 192.168.1.1 , dchp to 192.168.1.1 (same), and one of its dns to 192.168.1.1 (same again). and i cant get into my router anymore. i tried almost everything, i think netgear routers have that problem with hard reset.. really need help!

Indeed that is excellent news! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellgor View Post
    Hi to both of you,

With regard to adding a comp to your system, no problem, make sure the comp is set up to receive AUTO IP and connect up, the router will assign an IP to it and thats it, should any messages appear saying limited or no connnectivity, switch the MODEM off for at least a min then switch back on.

Regards, Ellgor.

I wish I could help you but I have a linksys router. Have you tried netgears forums if they have any? But im sure someone will be able to help you here.

Quote Originally Posted by circulo View Post
    i think my problem now is that i tried to reset my netgear router (ballpen poke the hole in the back) and it set its gateway to 192.168.1.1 , dchp to 192.168.1.1 (same), and one of its dns to 192.168.1.1 (same again). and i cant get into my router anymore. i tried almost everything, i think netgear routers have that problem with hard reset.. really need help!

Where did you do this in the Netgears web admin? I can't think of a spot where you can assign DHCP to 192.168.1.1..only a range. Give the Netgear a hard factory reset.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Where did you do this in the Netgears web admin? I can't think of a spot where you can assign DHCP to 192.168.1.1..only a range. Give the Netgear a hard factory reset.
    its hard factory reset was by poking the hole in the back. there are no factory resets in the web admin. and when i did the reset it showed in the connection status the default gateway, dchp, and dns (wierd) to 192.168.1.1 .now i cant log into my router.
    i think this should help me http://www.vpncasestudy.com/reset.html

and when i did the reset it showed in the connection status the default gateway, dchp, and dns (wierd) to 192.168.1.1 .now i cant log into my router.l
    "What" showed the connection status to be 192.168.1.1? Are you talking about an IPCONFIG on your workstation? Yes..that would be normal for a router. The LAN IP address is usually also the DHCP server, and DNS relay.
    Guinness for Strength!!!