Thread: GoW Annex (+ Patch) Info

GoW Annex (+ Patch) Info

here ya go ... looks like they addressed some of the glitching too

Annex/Update FAQ

By X Frank West X

Introduction

Recently Epic games released an AutoUpdate which included the following:

* The New multiplayer gamemode "Annex".
    * VGA Cable Support: Monitor resolution widths greater than or equal to 1280 now render as letterbox. In particular VGA users running at 1280x1024 will now see the game in full 720p (1280x720) resolution in letterboxed form.
    * Adjusted Assassination Multiplayer Gametype
    * Adjusted Mulitplayer Weapons and Roadie Run
    * Change to the Kill Message Ticker: Ticker can now be seen while down-but-not-out and spectating
    * The also addressed a number of possible exploits in multiplayer

What is Annex ?

Objective: Capture and hold key locations to collect enough points to win the round.

Description: In Annex, you win by keeping control over key map locations, or objectives, long enough to collect a winning number of points. Every map has two to five identified objectives available for capture, with one objective active at a time. Objectives are based on map weapon-spawn locations and have a potential value of 60 points toward either teamís score. Teams collect those points by maintaining ownership of an objective until all its 60 points have been distributed. Every second that a team controls an objective, the team gets one point. When an objective falls to zero points, the next objective is selected at random.

On the HUD, the current objective appears below the team scores at top left. This indicator contains several pieces of relevant information. The weapon icon inside the circle indicates which weapon-spawn location is being used as the objective. The compass along the outer edge of the circle shows the relative direction to the objective. The number inside the circle indicates how many points remain at that objective and the background icon color indicates which team currently controls it. No color means the objective awaits capture, a red icon means the Locust Horde hold the objective and a blue icon means the COG hold it. When the icon in the indicator circle fills, the corresponding team's score also changes color, the team begins collecting points from the objective, and the point value of the objective drops.

On the map, a projected ring marks the physical location and boundaries of the objective in the world. The ring's color indicates the current captor: White means neutral, blue COG, and red Locust. To capture an objective, players must stand inside the glowing ring uncontested for a short period of time. How long depends on how many teammates stand in the ring at once. One player can capture an objective in eight seconds, two players in four seconds, three players in two seconds, and four players in one second. Once a team takes an objective, they are not required to remain inside the ring to maintain ownership. The captured objective's points drain until an opposing team member enters the ring, or until its points fall to zero.

Round scores can be set as low as 120 points or as high as 480 points. The first team to reach the target score wins the round.

Respawns: Unlike previous Gears of War multiplayer game modes, Annex allows you to respawn back into the current round after you've been eliminated. Respawns happen in 15 second waves. This means players can get back into fight after as little as 1 second or as long as 15 seconds. Any teammates that died during that time will respawn together to continue fighting as a team.

Options:

* Selected Map: Which map or series of maps to use.
    * Number of Rounds: Number of rounds required to win the match.
    * Bleed-out Duration: Amount of time before a player dies while DBNO.
    * Round Score: Number of points required to win a round.
    * Friendly Fire: In a player match, whether teammates can damage each other.
    * Private Slots: In a player match, number of player slots reserved for friend invites.
    * Weapons Swapped: In a player match, whether the person who sets up the match can determine whether weapons that appear in the maps are replaced or removed.

What Is the VGA Cable Support for?

In the update in January Epic fixed the aspect ratio distortion when using VGA cables. During that update the fix hurt the image in terms of jagged edges, giving a pixilated view in places. Instead of a crisp clean 720p image at 1280x1024 (16:9), VGA users were forced to a 480p image at 640x480 (4:3). It also caused a reduction in field of view for some users. Now VGA users running at 1280x1024 will now see the game in full 720p (1280x720) resolution in letterboxed form.

What adjustments were made Assassination?

* Before the update, the Assassination leader had to unlock map-spawned weapons by picking them up and dropping them. Now, all weapons are available to all players from the beginning.
    * Before the update, you could kill a leader in Assassination using the same rules as in Warzone. Now, you kill leaders as in Execution.

What adjustments were made to Multiplayer weapons and what changes were made to the Roadie Run?
    # Adjusted Boomshot: Splash damage to be more effective rendering targets down-but-not-out
    # Adjusted Hammer of Dawn: Aiming will be more forgiving of moving targets
    # Adjusted Roadie Run: Reduced frequency of accidently grabbing cover while running
    # Adjusted Lancer: The lancer was given more power than it previously had.

What Multiplayer Exploits were fixed?

All previously known multiplayer glitches were meant to fixed in the patch including:

* Crap Walk - Players were able to shoot while roadie running
    * Long Jump - Players were able to jump long distances over cover
    * Leaving Maps - Players were able to leave Multiplayer maps to evade their opponents
    * Weapon Sliding - Players were able to slide when picking up a picking up a weapon to avoid being shot
    * Chainsaw Glitching - Players were able to rev their chainsaw before running and explode their opponent upon touching them
    * Curb Stomp Sliding - Players were able to slide when curb stomping their opponent

Why does it seem like I am sticking to walls more now than before the patch?

Before the update while roadie running the game would automatically check for cover acquisition every frame - looking a short distance wherever the player's character was facing.

Now with the update the game will perform the same check, *except* that it now looks which direction you're pushing on the left-stick (the one you're steering with) relative to the direction your character is facing. If you are pushing no direction on the stick it defaults to the original check. If you're getting sucked into cover *TRY PUSHING AWAY FROM WALLS WHEN ROADIE RUNNING*.

Do My Annex kills count towards achievements?

No, The introduction of infinite respawns means that kills in Annex don't count towards any of the kill-based achievements like "Seriously Ö" or "The Nuge."

Does the update cost anything?

No, It is an autoupdate that you will be automatically asked to download when starting the game. You can not play online without downloading the update.

If the glitches were fixed why do I still see people doing them?

The original button combinations for the glitches were fixed, people have found new button combinations to use when doing the glitch.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Advanced Member

Perhaps I shall play a bit of gears of war now that this stuff is fixed..

Rep Given..

OMG I hope they did fix it
    Not sure if i can make it today bro but i will try, have to go to car dealership at 8pm your time not sure if I can make it and if not ....FRIDAY and SATURDAY
    To be human is to choose.

It is better to die on your feet
    than to live on your knees.

- Emiliano Zapata

Jen's Best Friend RoscoPColtrane's Avatar
    i hope they did fix it, alot of that is the major reasons i quit playing the game.
    ****************************************************************************************
    Abit NF7-S 2.0, Barton 2500+ @ 2.2 Ghz, 2 Gig ddr3200, 80gig Seagate HDD, ATI x850 PRO @ 550/600, WinXP Pro

J B K M

Pittsburgh Steelers Super Bowl XL Champions!!!!!

played some last night ... gameplay took me a little getting used to - but remember I'm old and things like this take longer , but it was really cool. this game makes you communicate and play as a team

as for the rest of the patch, the Lancer did seem turned up some to me, and I did inadvertently take cover a little more that usual (but from what I have read, this is easily fixed by simply steering away from the cover you're running at w/ the left thumbstick).

overall not bad at all

looking forward to some games this weekend w/ yall
    Last edited by Jamie_R; 04-11-07 at 01:02 PM.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Annex

Tryed it yesterday ...holy **** it's pretty sick.
    We had to hold sniper rifle position at gridlock ...so I throw in 2 nades killed 1 of them, 2 of them got headshot and 4th one chainsawed me lol but we got the points

But I got some fing loosers on my team, I had 54 kills and they had 0-11 kills I was like wtf guys + the host was laggy.
    Anyway looking forward playing with you all

- Emiliano Zapata

awsome game play! respawning my favorite! Looks like they finally fixed the glitches and wat not. As long as they fixed the chain saw glitch im enjoying this new patch! looks like gears will not be like halo 2! But i do kno some people are still able ot get out of some maps that dont require long jumps or stickin to the walls, i seen a guy get out of tyro station, so getting out the maps that dont require chainsaw are still active. otherwise glad to hear they fixed the other major glitches

Advanced Member
    So riva.. I heard that you were getting irritated by my friend Leto.. lol.. he says that you'd try to evade his sniper shots but you end up running right into them.. he's gonna be running my GoW side of the clan.. .. I can get him from time to time.. but his attention needs to be elsewhere away from me.. lol.. well they fixed many major glitches.. but the one thing that still funny (at times a bit annoying) is that sometimes when you switch weapons you don't switch so you end up grabbing your own ass.. lol.. there's a bit of qwerks in there that still need to be fixed.. like for some reason every now and then i'll get stuck on top of like railings or sometimes I get stuck when trying to get over an obstacle I end up in mid air crouching against nothing so yeah.. still some minor things that need to be fixed.. annex will bring back many people.. especially those who like the respawns stuff... now what they should do is bring some spawn protection into play because there are some spawn campers out there who just love to spawn camp.. but anyways.. this game has added about 10 mins of gameplay for me..so like 15 mins is enough for me.. then i become bored.. then I become tired.. and I fall asleep..

Quote Originally Posted by pinguinosupremo View Post
    So riva.. I heard that you were getting irritated by my friend Leto.. lol.. he says that you'd try to evade his sniper shots but you end up running right into them.. he's gonna be running my GoW side of the clan.. .. I can get him from time to time.. but his attention needs to be elsewhere away from me.. lol.. well they fixed many major glitches.. but the one thing that still funny (at times a bit annoying) is that sometimes when you switch weapons you don't switch so you end up grabbing your own ass.. lol.. there's a bit of qwerks in there that still need to be fixed.. like for some reason every now and then i'll get stuck on top of like railings or sometimes I get stuck when trying to get over an obstacle I end up in mid air crouching against nothing so yeah.. still some minor things that need to be fixed.. annex will bring back many people.. especially those who like the respawns stuff... now what they should do is bring some spawn protection into play because there are some spawn campers out there who just love to spawn camp.. but anyways.. this game has added about 10 mins of gameplay for me..so like 15 mins is enough for me.. then i become bored.. then I become tired.. and I fall asleep..

I'm kicking out all spawn campers

Leto is cool, I killed him with my shotgun yesterday I think 9 times in a row
    I was playing with gameplaya and didnt know the other 2 guys.
    But it was fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun.
    We won every map
    Leto was kinda angry when I started using chainsaw (I hate using it) but it works very well especially against him
    He was trying sneak up on me with his sniper rifle but he didnt know I'm behind corner with chainsaw ready

He is nice guy, would play with him anytime

- Emiliano Zapata

I don't like annex because if you play it ranked it doesn't count for achievements :<

So that doesn't work for me XD
    Avatar is © me. If you wish to see more of my art, PM me.
    I'm an avid Gears of War gamer, my gamertag is Colonel Hoffmun.

Advanced Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Baird View Post
    I don't like annex because if you play it ranked it doesn't count for achievements :<

So that doesn't work for me XD
    Achievement \/\/|-|0R3..

Advanced Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivas View Post
    I'm kicking out all spawn campers

Leto is cool, I killed him with my shotgun yesterday I think 9 times in a row
    I was playing with gameplaya and didnt know the other 2 guys.
    But it was fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun.
    We won every map
    Leto was kinda angry when I started using chainsaw (I hate using it) but it works very well especially against him
    He was trying sneak up on me with his sniper rifle but he didnt know I'm behind corner with chainsaw ready

He is nice guy, would play with him anytime
    Yeah Leto is an awesome guy.. haha.. lol I killed him a couple times with my shotty.. the rest of the times I could only kill him with my chainsaw.. 'cause he's always on my ass with the damn sniper.. he stalks me I swear.. oh well.. he's good at sniping in GoW.. gonna test him see how good he is in CoD3.. I like to think of him as a rival sniper.. haha.. i'm generally a sniper in all games.. except 2 games.. Saints row and Gears of War.. Saints Row because it's very inconvenient reloading is slow and you cant switch weapons while reloading.. then GoW I just never got the hang of it because well.. it's such a small game so you'll easily be found and not to mention people like to come up from behind you and shoot ya.. although for some reason there's a bit of issue with the chainsawing part.. me and leto were trying to chainsaw each other at one point but for some reason when we pressed B it started to shoot the gun instead of revving up the chainsaw.. it did that quite a few times for me... so yeah I ended up dieing most of the times.. right now i'm starting to get back into lost planet..