Thread: How to set up dial up connection using Router in PPPoE mode

Post How to set up dial up connection using Router in PPPoE mode

Hello friends

My connection type is 2Mbps broadband connection with 2.5GB Data Transfer Limit per Month. I connect through on board 10/100Mbps LAN card. My router is HUAWEI Quidway WA1003A.

When I use my router in Bridge Mode, I have one dialing option, where I need to input the ISP provided user name and password and then it connects to the internet. So after the connection I have two icons in my System Tray, one for LAN and the other of the connection that I made using the dial up. Unless I dial I can not connect to the internet even if the Router is operational[and so is the LAN]
    This method of connection is preferable for me as I have a Data Transfer Limit.

As I changed my router to the PPPoE mode, I found out that the dialer became defunct and as soon as I turn on the Modem I get connected to the internet. Some thing like "always on unlimited connection". Though I would prefer to run my router in the PPPoE mode, I would not like to connect directly to the internet as soon as I power the router. But I would like to operate my router in PPPoE mode as then only I can forward ports of some applications manually in the router.

So is it possible to use my Router in the PPPoE mode but use a Dialing option instead of the getting connected directly? This is necessary for me to control the Data Transfer Limit. If possible then please tell me how.

If required, I can upload the user manual for my router.

Please help.

Thank you.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    You can usually still manually disconnect and connect the modem/router..in the web admin. Also some modems/routers have a mode to "connect on demand"...as well as "keep alive"..can toggle those.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Thank you very much YeOldeStonecat for showing me a ray of hope.

I checked out my modem and I am not sure whether I have those two modes. Could you please confirm whether it is possible for my router if I post a screen shot of the configuration page of my router here?

Please help me out.

Hello YeOldeStonecat

Please find the screen shot of the setup page for PPPoE as follows:

I believe the Red circled one is the "Keep Alive" and Blue is the "Connect on Demand". But unfortunately even after checking the box next to "On Demand" I find that my router gets connected as soon as it is powered on.

I am not really sure how to use it.

My PC runs on a Win XP Pro with SP2. I have heard about Raspppoe which provides dial up experience while implementing PPPoE protocol. Is it a valid option?

So please help me out.

Thank you.

could some one please tell me whether PPPoE mode offers better download and browsing speed over Bridge mode?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by src2206 View Post
    could some one please tell me whether PPPoE mode offers better download and browsing speed over Bridge mode?

Thank you.
    PPPoE does take up a tiny bit of overhead in your connection. On paper, that would make "bridged" DSL faster. But there are so many other variables which influence your performance. You'd have to find an ISP that offers bridged DSL in your area.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by src2206 View Post
    Hello YeOldeStonecat

Please find the screen shot of the setup page for PPPoE as follows:
    I'm not familiar with that router. On the ones I work with..when you check "keep alive"...it maintains the connection on 24x7. Uncheck it..and use "connect on demand"..the router usually only will connect when it detects traffic from a computer(s) trying to access the internet. Which these days...with ad/spyware, windows updates, antivirus updates, etc etc..is pretty much constant if any PC is up and running.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Hello YeOldeStonecat

Thank you for your reply.

The ISP I am subscribed with provides both PPPoE as well as Bridge mode.

So I think that you are suggesting that I should switch to Bridge mode when I have both the options handy- right?