Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three Console Kings

Three Console Kings

I remember being at E3 back in 2005 at the unveiling of SONY PS3 and being absolutely wowed by the platform and specifications announced.I remember fielding questions from how many AnaDtech readers wondering if this was end of PC gaming.I remember asking Nvidia that same question, and I remember being greeted with laughter.

That was more than a teay and a half ago, and today things don't look so impressive.In fact, none of the next-generation consoles have the "wow" factor that they did when they were first announced.Nonethless, these are the consoles we'll have for the next four to five years, and the beauty of a game console is that it's a fixed platform, which often lends itself to more effiecient software development than is possible for a broad, open platform like the PC.
    In addition, game developerstend to become better at wringing more and more performance from a fixed spec ocer time, so that even at the end of a console's lifespan, games will still look quite good.

Despite the constant wars between PC and console gamers, there is room for coexistence.The PC will always have its distinct strengths, while the console will have its own fair share of pros.So if you are a PC gamer, what next-generation console should you add to your collection for those moments when you just want to sit on the couch and game ?

I've had the opportunity to spend a great deal of time with Sony's PS3, MS XBOX 360, and Nintendo's Wii, and the more I think about it, the more each one has its own particular draw.

The most unique of the three is the Wii; becuse it has nowhere near the processing and GPU power of the 360 and PS3, it has to rely on being unique rather than rendering georgeous games.The Wii has a tremendeous amount of potential, and honestly one of its best games comes free in the box: Wii Sports.
    Priced separately, Wii Sports would be no more than a $15 to $20 game as it doesn't have much depth, but what it does is serve as a great tech demo of what is possible with the console.The true strength of the Wii is in its motion-sensitive controllers and the ability to really get into the game, rather than just remaining stationary and mashing buttons.The control scheme works incredibly well in Wii Sports, but not as well in titles that are basic ports from other consoles.

Unfortunately, rather than developing specifically for each platform, third party developers today focus more on creating titles and porting them to as many platforms as possible, and that approach to development will likely be bad for the Wii in the long run.With Nintendo at the helm, though there's sure to be tons of first-party content that plays to the Wii's strengths that you won't be able to get on any other console.Today the Wii is a neat console that's great for anyone who isn't a hardcore gamer, but by the end of 2007 it has the potential to be a must-have for any gamer.

While the Wii isn't really something I'd recommend for gamers who spend lots of time playing alone (fun in numbers), the PS3 and XBOX 360 are classic examples of what we've come to expect from consoles.In many ways, the PS3 has more raw processing power than the XBOX 360 (althought not necessarily more GPU power), but developers who follow the write-once/port-many approach, much of that power will go to waste.AT the end of the day, I'd consider it to be a virtual equal to the 360 in what it can do, but because there are still only first-generation titles available for it, the PS3 has a long road ahead of it before it can be a true contender.

In fact, the best PS3 games are still PS2 titles, so it's not a console that you buy for today gaming.The interface on the PS3 is quick and the console itself is quiet, both advantages over the 360.
    The ability to store more data on a disc is also a plus in the long run, but overall SONY faces an uphill battle as it takes games, not hardware, to sell consoles.

Which brings us to the third king of the next generation--MS's XBOX 360.For pure next-generation gaming, this is my pick.It's readily available, has a mature online system, and boats what is currently the best-looking title I've seen on any platform: Gears Of War.
    Of course, the PS3 and the Wii will get more (and maybe better) titles under their belts, so this battle is far from over, but in my opinion the only decision is between the Wii and 360 today, depending on the type of gamer you are.It will be interesting to see what happens once the PS3 has time to catch up.

by Anand Lal Shimpi
    Last edited by Rivas; 02-21-07 at 12:09 PM.
    To be human is to choose.

It is better to die on your feet
    than to live on your knees.

- Emiliano Zapata

Done

- Emiliano Zapata

Advanced Member
    there's only one problem with them all.. there's no games that have penguins as playable characters.. they have no love for us penguins... we can kill.. we can solve puzzles.. we can swing a sword.. shoot a gun.. just as good as anyone else.. why no love for us?

Quote Originally Posted by pinguinosupremo View Post
    there's only one problem with them all.. there's no games that have penguins as playable characters.. they have no love for us penguins... we can kill.. we can solve puzzles.. we can swing a sword.. shoot a gun.. just as good as anyone else.. why no love for us?
    just wait when I get in touch with my bud
    Should be this week, latest monday.
    He will explain it, but your PC has to be connected (MCE/VISTA) to 360.
    But I think you can even do it with XP, who do you think is releasing and writing all the firmwares ?

Kernel is already hacked, he attached 500gb drive, it's not public and maybe I will get a **** for saying it here, I'm giving it few months before he will release it to the public, it's still under tests.

- Emiliano Zapata

Advanced Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivas View Post
    just wait when I get in touch with my bud
    Should be this week, latest monday.
    He will explain it, but your PC has to be connected (MCE/VISTA) to 360.
    But I think you can even do it with XP, who do you think is releasing and writing all the firmwares ?

Kernel is already hacked, he attached 500gb drive, it's not public and maybe I will get a **** for saying it here, I'm giving it few months before he will release it to the public, it's still under tests.
    O.o.. in all honesty Riva.. I have no idea what you're talking about.. all I said is that there's no games that have penguins as a playable character.. and that they have no love for us penguins was all..

I can't run vista on my computer.. it's only a 677MHZ Intel P3 processor.. with 384 mb of ram.. the rest of it is all onboard stuff.. graphics.. sound.. etc.. so if it's restricted to that than well it does me no good.. well not that it does me any good anyways I can't even afford a 100 gb hdd.. so yeah..well then again i can't even afford a 40 gb hdd.. so yeah.. a bit screwed over here.. no source of income = no way of getting any new goodies..

O.o.. in all honesty Riva.. I have no idea what you're talking about.. ..
    Cant find the thread, it was deleted I think or I'm blind, I posted about adding 20gb HDD to your 360 system without buying the MS 20gb expansive one.
    The guy was also saying the kernel is not hacked yet thats why you cant add bigger drive (eg 100gb/200gb/etc etc. )

Anyway this is place about games and not hacks/mods so lets keep it that way, my apologies to Philip and mods for writing this, not going to happend again.

- Emiliano Zapata

Advanced Member
    OOOOOOOOH that's what you're talking about.. mkay.. it all makes sense now.. well i think it's still around just.. long away from the first page haha..

Well it is Console gaming i suppose so.. but I always thought this sub-forum was also about the consoles themselves as well.. but if it's not than hell a good sum of us have been posting in the wrong area.. and if it does include the consoles themselves then well mods.. they will eventually become apart of the consoles.. but they're accessories to the consoles.. so in a way it is already a part of it..

OOOOOOOOH that's what you're talking about.. mkay.. it all makes sense now.. well i think it's still around just.. long away from the first page haha..

Well it is Console gaming i suppose so.. but I always thought this sub-forum was also about the consoles themselves as well.. but if it's not than hell a good sum of us have been posting in the wrong area.. and if it does include the consoles themselves then well mods.. they will eventually become apart of the consoles.. but they're accessories to the consoles.. so in a way it is already a part of it..
    Agree but mods (as a lightning, cooling devices, stickers, modded/fancy controllers with all kinds of lights on buttons) is something different then hacked firmwares/kernels.

- Emiliano Zapata

Advanced Member
    odd.. my subs don't seem to be working with the notices.. i'm not getting any notices of new replies to any of the things i'm subscribed to.. rawr and i don't know why so I never knew there was even a reply to this.. well anyways..

Even so.. Lighting or anything sort of mod.. for console accessories or the consoles themselves i feel as if it should belong here either way as it just seems to be the correct spot for it as accessories are a part of the console already.. just not actually embedded onto the consoles themselves.. some of these accessories are required to actually even play the consoles so it should be able to go in here at least that's my opinion.. if it doesn't belong here than where does it belong?

There are no 3 kings.

Xbox is the king I feel, Sony could rally and over throw them, and Nintendo is content to steal the lives of the young and old throughout the land waiting for their time to come again and cast both other factions out.

Banned
    Wii has a game based on Happy Feet. lol

Nintendo and Sega woulda made a good merge. Nintendo could make the console and Sega could take over the game making.

Quote Originally Posted by Shagster View Post
    Nintendo and Sega woulda made a good merge. Nintendo could make the console and Sega could take over the game making.
    Man, mario and sonic on the same console!

Advanced Member
    I could've swore I heard that they merged few years back.. guess I missheard.. or was it.. that they were planning on merging.. but never did.. i don't know..

Advanced Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Comtrad View Post
    Wii has a game based on Happy Feet. lol
    Well.. it's start.. but I was hoping more around the lines of.. uhh.. you know.. hack and slash.. shooters.. rpgs.. stuff like that.. not movie based games.. not big fan of em.. don't really like em..

Quote Originally Posted by Shagster View Post
    Sega is out of the hardware business (at least for home consoles), and based on their recent track record, their software isn't doing as well as it should be. They've still yet to live up to their glory days of the Dreamcast and early XBOX titles.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Man, mario and sonic on the same console!
    It exists. It's called the Game Cube. Or the Game Boy. Or the DS. Or the Wii. Etc...

Since Sega stopped making home videogame hardware (and their attempts to make the XBOX the Dreamcast 2.0 flopped in terms of sales), they've developed their titles for every system out there. The Game Cube has a variety of Sonic ports and a few original titles, and Sega even beat Mario out of the gate with a Sonic game on the Wii.

I could've swore I heard that they merged few years back.. guess I missheard.. or was it.. that they were planning on merging.. but never did.. i don't know..
    Nope. Nothing on that has really ever gone beyond the "random internet rumor" phase.

Well.. it's start.. but I was hoping more around the lines of.. uhh.. you know.. hack and slash.. shooters.. rpgs.. stuff like that.. not movie based games.. not big fan of em.. don't really like em..
    The Disgaea series (SRPG on PS2) has characters known as the "Prinnies". Basically, they're leet-speaking demon penguins who explode when you throw them. d00d!!!
    Last edited by Jim; 02-27-07 at 11:36 PM.

Advanced Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post

Nope. Nothing on that has really ever gone beyond the "random internet rumor" phase.

The Disgaea series (SRPG on PS2) has characters known as the "Prinnies". Basically, they're leet-speaking demon penguins who explode when you throw them. d00d!!!
    Well oddly enough I heard it off the radio years back.. hehe..

well i was hoping along the lines of not being used as a weapon either.. cool.. but not what I exactly call much of a playable character..

They have their own attacks (that video shows some tag-team action), but they're mostly used for comedic effect.

- Emiliano Zapata

Advanced Member
    They have their own attacks (that video shows some tag-team action), but they're mostly used for comedic effect.
    so in other words they're not the main character and really serve no other purpose but to be used as a weapon/toy..