Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Downloaded TCP Optimizer a few days ago - now my internet connection is scr3wed.

Downloaded TCP Optimizer a few days ago - now my internet connection is scr3wed.

I had this in another thread (TCP Optimizer ruined my connection ) so let me copy and paste: (just so you don't waste time suggesting the same things since I already tried those that were sugested to the original thread starter.)

"Ok, I also used TCP Optimizer, just like the guy who started this thread and I am having the exact same issues. The only thing different in my situation: I have cable (not DSL) and I didn't do anything else like change my firewall or add programs or anything.

After restoring the TCP Optimizer backup and it didn't work, I deleted every trace of TCP optimizer (including the backup file) and scanned my computer with Ad-Aware and everything. I also downloaded winsockfix.exe after reading this thread and that also did nothing.

I have two laptops at my house. If I only use the one that didn't have TCP Optimizer on it, everything is fine. It's only when I boot the other laptop (that had the Optimizer) and connect to the internet, then I have about 5 minutes before the connection is screwed - not just on that one computer but for both laptops. This is why I assumed something was being reconfigured with the router. I unplug it and plug it back in and then the connection will work again for five more minutes, and so on and so on.

Also, like the guy who had this similar problem - after my connection has been fried, although I can't pull up any web pages or anything, I have noticed that when uTorrent is open it is still uploading torrents at a pretty normal rate. So, it seems I am not completely disconnected.

I knew what my router settings were before TCP Optimizer because I had recently installed firmware and had been working with it a lot and had become familiar with the settings. Thus, after deleting TCP and resetting my router to the factory defaults, I was able to restore it just from memory ... but still, I have the same problems post-Optimizer. Everything was really fine before - I just thought I could tweak the speed with Optimizer to help my torrent downloads. Big mistake. It's like it sends a signal after being online for a few minutes and resets my connection settings and the whole thing just overloads.

Please, please help.

I really don't want to have to install other programs to fix the problem if i don't have to and I am REALLLY opposed to putting TCP Optimizer on my computer again in any form.

(my router is a Linksys and the firmware I installed was DD-WRT. both were fine before Optimizer.)"

I got this response:

Quote Originally Posted by EvilAjax View Post
    Although we can help you here, it would be better if you'd post a new thread, stating your problem. Post all your information including Operating system, Processor, RAM, NIC, etc.

The reason you should post a new topic is so that the helpers here can help one person at a time in a single thread. Thanks, and welcome to Speedguide.net. We will try our best to assist you.
    My compter knowledge is limited to certain things (i.e. I know my router really well)... so for other things you might have to explain in more detail and in simple terms.

Ok... I am using Windows XP ... I use a wireless router - a Linksys WRT54G v4 and I installed DD-WRT v.23 and it was working fine. I use Comcast as my provider.

What other info do you need?

Hello? anyone?

Can someone at least tell me where else to look for info on problems caused by TCP Optimizer...? Other forums or online help?

Ok so you tried winsock repair, surely you should repair the TCPIP Stack.
    Thats what optimizer changes.

Go to Start/Run and type "command" (without the quotes)

now type NETSH INTERFACE IP RESET LOG.TXT

after a few seconds itll be done. reboot and try again.
    cheers

Ok, I tried that... nada. Same problem.

(oh and, besides uTorrent, the google talk application also stays connected. I am not sure if that might help diagnose the connection problem...)

Have you updated your XP to SP2, including all the latest patches and updates?

Who is your ISP and what speed did you pay to get?

Post your TCP Analyzer report.

Quote Originally Posted by trogers View Post
    Have you updated your XP to SP2, including all the latest patches and updates?

Who is your ISP and what speed did you pay to get?

Post your TCP Analyzer report.

Yes, I have the SP2 update.

Comcast - 6 Mbps/384 Kbps connection (at least) ... I am looking at my bill since my monthly payment is more than the basic but I am not sure what speed I requested when I signed up for service. Either way, pretty sure - 6 Mbps/384 Kbps.

SpeedGuide.net TCP Analyzer Results
    Tested on: 03.27.2007 21:18
    IP address: 71.56.xxx.xx

TCP options string: 020405b401010402
    MSS: 1460
    MTU: 1500
    TCP Window: 17520 (multiple of MSS)
    RWIN Scaling: 0
    Unscaled RWIN : 17520
    Reccomended RWINs: 64240, 128480, 256960, 513920
    BDP limit (200ms): 701kbps (88KBytes/s)
    BDP limit (500ms): 280kbps (35KBytes/s)
    MTU Discovery: ON
    TTL: 111
    Timestamps: OFF
    SACKs: ON
    IP ToS: 00100000 (32)
    Precedence: 001 (priority)
    Delay: 0 (normal delay)
    Throughput: 0 (normal throughput)
    Reliability: 0 (normal reliability)
    Cost: 0 (normal cost)
    Check bit: 0 (correct)
    DiffServ: CS1 001000 (8) - class 1 (RFC 2474). Similar forwarding behavior to the ToS Precedence field.

hmm, ok - well I can see that my RWIN is not what it is supposed to be. Is that likely the problem? If so, how can I change it WITHOUT Optimizer... surely there is a manual way to go in and change it... right?
    Last edited by trappedintime; 03-27-07 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trappedintime View Post
    Yes, I have the SP2 update.

Comcast - 6 Mbps/384 Kbps connection (at least) ... I am looking at my bill since my monthly payment is more than the basic but I am not sure what speed I requested when I signed up for service. Either way, pretty sure - 6 Mbps/384 Kbps.

Tested on: 03.27.2007 21:18

TCP options string: 020405b401010402
    TCP Window: 17520 (multiple of MSS)
    RWIN Scaling: 0
    Unscaled RWIN : 17520
    BDP limit (200ms): 701kbps (88KBytes/s)
    BDP limit (500ms): 280kbps (35KBytes/s)
    DiffServ: CS1 001000 (8) - class 1 (RFC 2474). Similar forwarding behavior to the ToS Precedence field.

hmm, ok - well I can see that my RWIN is not what it is supposed to be. Is that likely the problem? If so, how can I change it WITHOUT Optimizer... surely there is a manual way to go in and change it... right?
    Search your Registry for these 2 entries and change their decimal values to 128480 as recommended by TCP Analyzer:

GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize

TcpWindowSize

Search your Registry for these 2 entries and change their decimal values to 128480 as recommended by TCP Analyzer:

GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize

TcpWindowSize

Ok, wait... windows registry? Like, Start > RUN > "regedit" ?

Then do I just use the "find" feature? I did that but I am confused as to how to "use" the results as far as where and how I should change the decimal values.

(Although, I also just noticed that there is a whole TCP Optimizer tab here with a couple sub-files... grrrrrr... I searched my whole hard drive when this originally happened and it didn't find any traces of Optimizer. )

Both of these entries are in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

Just click right on the entries and choose 'Edit' and 'decimal' to key in 128480

Both of these entries are in:

Just click right on the entries and choose 'Edit' and 'decimal' to key in 128480

Ok - sorry, but I am afraid to do anything else to my system that will screw it up so I have to be specific...

When you say right click the "entries", do you mean on the file tree there on the left or the individual documents or entries or whatever that show up on the right? And when you say "edit"... well, I don't see edit. "Modify"... maybe? And what will the window look like to input that decimal value? I haven't seen anything that is clearly asking for a decimal value.

Oh, and you said "both" entries are in... and then listed three locations. What is the third one? Do I change it there too in addition to the others?

The entries "GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize" and "TcpWindowSize" are the names of DWORD displayed on the right column and presently have decimal value of 17520.

You want to change their decimal value to 128480.

Ok, no - I don't see "GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize" or "TcpWindowSize" or any kind of decimal value of 17520.

Here, I have no idea, I'm starting to lose it and my connection cutting out isn't helping anything. I just took a screenshot:

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Tcpip\Parameters"

Maybe I am in the wrong place or something, hell, I dunno.

That is because you have deleted TCP Optimizer entries and your Registry has reverted to Windows default.

You can highlight 'Parameter', click right and choose 'New' and 'DWORD value' to create the names of these 2 entries. After that, set their decimal value to 128480.

well, TCP Optimizer still has its own file and subfiles in the registry and I have long since restored the "backup", but I digress.

Ok, do I need to create those two entries and set the decimal values under all THREE locations?

???

Quote Originally Posted by trappedintime View Post
    well, TCP Optimizer still has its own file and subfiles in the registry and I have long since restored the "backup", but I digress.

Ok, do I need to create those two entries and set the decimal values under all THREE locations?

???
    Sometimes, creating the 2 entries in CurrentControlSet will automatically create the same in the other two. But make a check and if any of the other 2 does not have the new entries, create them using Regedit.

Ok, done.

I suppose... reboot? Or should I just wait and see what happens?

It's been about six minutes, so far so good. (Sometimes it takes 10 to cut out though.)

::fingers crossed::

Do another TCP Analyzer report and check to see if TCP Receive Window has become 128480.

Test your speed at this link using a few nearby test servers: http://www.speedtest.net/

Ok, well the TCP receive window hadn't changed from the 17000 value and then my connection timed out again. This time I rebooted and then checked it again - upon reboot it has changed to 128480.

Tested on: 03.27.2007 23:51

TCP options string: 020405b40103030101010402
    TCP Window: 128480 (multiple of MSS)
    RWIN Scaling: 1
    Unscaled RWIN : 64240
    BDP limit (200ms): 5139kbps (642KBytes/s)
    BDP limit (500ms): 2056kbps (257KBytes/s)

Ok, then the speed test - it seems like maybe it froze (took forever to do the upload test but the download one worked fine.)

The results were:

download: 8621 kbps
    upload: 30 kbps

hmm, that seems strange. my utorrent is uploading at 46 kb/s right now.

Thoughts?

I might try to start downloading a torrent and see what it does.

------------------------------

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Nevermind. When I went to post that - connection timed out.

The problem remains.

@*&$@#!*%*&!$%*&%*#% !!!

excuse me.

So... what now?

When upload is slow, the first suspect is the presence of spyware/malware. Download, update and scan with SpyBot and Lavasoft Ad-Aware and remove them. After that, use a registry cleaner to cleanup and then reboot comp to refresh your settings.

When upload is slow, the first suspect is the presence of spyware/malware. Download, update and scan with SpyBot and Lavasoft Ad-Aware and remove them. After that, use a registry cleaner to cleanup and then reboot comp to refresh your settings.
    I already used Ad-Aware and have scanned my entire system two or three times since this started (I was trying to get rid of TCP Optimizer but it didn't find anything either way.)

Is there anything specific I should look for?

Also, I am trying the speed test again since the connection was timing out around the time the upload test was running. What should it be - approximately?

If you are saying it is likely some kind of spyware... does that mean that the RWIN and all that had nothing to do with it?