Thread: Fans & such

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Fans & such

So as I sit here refreshing the UPS website waiting for my new toys to arrive, I'm browsing FrozenCPU.com.

I want this computer to run quiet(er). So I'm looking into replacing the 2 120mm fans (front & rear) that are included with the case. I'm sure they are just basic fans anyhow. I was also contemplating adding a 120mm to the side vent area.

Here's the case: http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/Products.aspx?pid=1248

Has anyone used the SilenX fans? I was looking at this one. I also saw the Noctua fans which seem to have amazing reviews (and nice specs) here.

In addition to the fan replacements, I'd like to add fan filters to them all. I'm tired of seeing dust inside. Thoughts on FilterRight? The two-piece design seems like it'd make it easy to clean.

Also, I was thinking of adding some silencers as well. The silicone silencers seem to be the way to go (here). Do these work well?

I'm trying to keep as much airflow as possible and minimize the fan noise which is why I was looking at the 120mm fans. I'm not sure what I'm going to do for the processor fan (Intel E6300 boxed) yet.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions..... If you know of better pricing, feel free to let me know.

SilenX fans are crap since it sacrifices airflow for noise and it barely pushes any air at all. The Noctua seems good and I've heard good things about Scythe S-FLEX. Personally I would never pay that much for a case fan and just got some Yate-Loons with a fan controller. performance-pcs.com has some decent prices on those fans.

That case already has a filter for the front fan and you don't need a filter in the back maybe block off the side vents to prevent dust. Dunno about the silicone silencers probly won't help much unless you have a really light case.
    "I was once banned from a bookstore for moving all the bibles to fiction"

i think get a faster fan than you need and use a fan controller to set the sound/airflow to your needs.

i have that same filter on my side fan for my CPU heatsink, really works well, some dust gets through, and ya really need to clean it with water every so often, when i clean mine my CPU temp drops about 3-4 degrees C, i guess it depends on how dusty your house is and what not.

i got my sunbeam from here awhile ago for like $11 on sale, it is now $14 but still cheaper than frozenCPU.

http://www.svc.com/bus-55-sl-24.html

Quote Originally Posted by Unholy View Post
    SilenX fans are crap since it sacrifices airflow for noise and it barely pushes any air at all.
    Really? It says they flow at 72 CFM.
    That case already has a filter for the front fan and you don't need a filter in the back maybe block off the side vents to prevent dust. Dunno about the silicone silencers probly won't help much unless you have a really light case.
    I don't see where it shows the filter? Well I ordered 3 silencers, 3 filters and some Zalman STG (thermal grease). I didn't order any fans yet until I do some more research. The filters will still come in handy.

What about fan controllers? I've been using a Nexus controller for a while now.
    This seemed like a decent one: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/99...html?tl=g34c17

I like the idea of have regular switches on there since I have a cold cathode that will be going into this case. Not a bad price on the sunbeam though.