Thread: XBOX 360 Wireless Adapter

R.I.P. 2017-10-02 Joint Chiefs of Staff's Avatar

XBOX 360 Wireless Adapter

Has anyone installed and used the wireless adapter? In my living room where my 360 is located, I have no option for running any Ethernet cabling nor do I want to to tape the Ethernet cable to the sides of my wall.

Your thoughts?

http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/hardware/x...er/default.htm
    >>Cult Master of International Affairs<<

SG Enthusiast
    Been using it for over a year now. My 360 is downstairs and the router is upstairs in my office. Has worked very well for me. Along with X-Box Live I also stream video and music from wife's media center pc, which is also upstairs.
    Looking for work............

Advanced Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joint Chiefs of Staff View Post
    Has anyone installed and used the wireless adapter? In my living room where my 360 is located, I have no option for running any Ethernet cabling nor do I want to to tape the Ethernet cable to the sides of my wall.

Your thoughts?

http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/hardware/x...er/default.htm
    Well I've got a few friends who have that stuff.. It's normally fine.. Although for some reason it wont like some connections so it'll start making your voice break up like crazy over Xbox Live.. although voice messages will sound fine.. From time to time you will get some major wireless lag.. but not too often.. at least thats what my friends have told me... although I've just never liked the wireless stuff.. as they will interfere with the controller.. at least the 2.4 ghz frequency.. they'll make your wireless control shut off (it wont exactly turn on either the ring will keep blinking as a whole.) or they'll make crackly nosies in your mic that tend to bug the hell out of ones ear.. so yeah.. point being that it will 'cause some interference.. but thats only if you're in the path of the wireless stuff.. that's assuming that it's 2.4ghz.. I would go for it

Quote Originally Posted by pinguinosupremo View Post
    Well I've got a few friends who have that stuff.. It's normally fine.. Although for some reason it wont like some connections so it'll start making your voice break up like crazy over Xbox Live.. although voice messages will sound fine.. From time to time you will get some major wireless lag.. but not too often.. at least thats what my friends have told me... although I've just never liked the wireless stuff.. as they will interfere with the controller.. at least the 2.4 ghz frequency.. they'll make your wireless control shut off (it wont exactly turn on either the ring will keep blinking as a whole.) or they'll make crackly nosies in your mic that tend to bug the hell out of ones ear.. so yeah.. point being that it will 'cause some interference.. but thats only if you're in the path of the wireless stuff.. that's assuming that it's 2.4ghz.. I would go for it
    do u have to have a wireless router for this? becuz my connection in my room doesnt have enough power as my down stairs does if i connect my modem down there. If i were to place my computer down stairs with my router and modem cna i use this wireless tool for my to play up stairs with my 360?

Advanced Member
    by power do you mean literally power or do you mean not enough power outlets?.. you can still use the wireless adapter for the 360 even if the wireless router is downstairs.. of course it'd have to be within it's reach.. I'd suggest getting some laptop to around your 360 and see the signal strength.. if it's a weak/low signal i would try to move the wireless router closer to your 360.. either that or buy a wireless signal extender..

Do you have any wireless adapters for your PCs that plug in through a USB or ethernet port (like one of those wireless "bridges")? Some of those are compatible with the console too. The big advantage the 360 one would have over those is the fact that it's fairly small, clips right onto the system, and doesn't need any external power. It's a little expensive, but it's nice.

I had it, it's nice, reliable but there is problem with sound, when you start talking other players cant hear you very well, it's choppy.
    To be human is to choose.

It is better to die on your feet
    than to live on your knees.

- Emiliano Zapata

no i dont have a wireless router. And whe n isay not enough power i mean cinnection power. My motorala comcast modem seems to have a powerful connection downstairs than up stairs. And it seems ot be getting worse 2. Im starting ot lag alot, even on gears. I hope it was jus that day and will go away but its frustrating. I believe if im paying comast every month for a good connection i should be getting that fast connection...

Advanced Member
    Well in order to use it you need a wireless router.. Well I don't quite understand cable so I wouldn't qualify to answer that part.. Well cable is just another LAN.. you share the line with others around you.. so if your neighbour is downloading pr0n heavily expect lag on your end as well.. as it's all one big shared line.. you can get your own line.. but at a hefty fee..

If you have a laptop you can always just wire it that way (XBOX -->Laptop -->Router/AP). I just moved into a new place and did it this way instead of dishing out the money for their adapter.

Like ping said though, you're still going to need the router.
    Good luck

A little offtopic sorry just noticed your location ping... I have a friend out in Mission Viejo, isn't that close by? That name just sounds really really familiar.
    "..the day I realized I was god was while praying I realized I was talking to myself.."

Advanced Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chacotako View Post
    A little offtopic sorry just noticed your location ping... I have a friend out in Mission Viejo, isn't that close by? That name just sounds really really familiar.
    It's 52 Miles away from where I live.. well the exact location.. so about an hour away from me if you're going at legal speeds.. haha

Maybe I have them mixed up...now it's going to bother me, haha oh well
    "..the day I realized I was god was while praying I realized I was talking to myself.."

yea i figured that. But im jus confused in how i get a better connection downstairs than upstairs.

Are there certain types of routers where it can make your connection the same as if it was directly connected to the modem?

Advanced Member
    quien sabe? anyways back to the topic..

Have you gotten it yet or are you still thinking about it?

As for gameplaya.. only option is to buy a really long ethernet cable.. I'd say no more than 20 feet if you still want a good connection.. or what ya can do is get one of them thingies that turn a ethernet port into a wireless thingy.. and that way you can play with your thingy from your room.. of course that adapter thingy for your thingy is like a 100 dollars yo.. so yeah.. buy some of da good shiznet dawg.. .. a bit of a gangsta moment.. been playing too much saints row.. haha.. but yeah.. one way or the other you're still probably gonna get some *****ty connection... well thats assuming you already have some slow @$$ internet..

Advanced Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gameplaya View Post
    yea i figured that. But im jus confused in how i get a better connection downstairs than upstairs.
    quien sabe?.. perhaps you should ask in the general broadband forums here on SG.. they might know..

Quote Originally Posted by gameplaya View Post
    Are there certain types of routers where it can make your connection the same as if it was directly connected to the modem?
    Try getting some gigabit router.. it's worth a shot.. once again you'll need to ask in the broadband area.. you're more prone to good answers if you post there..

ok im on it thanx

R.I.P. 2017-10-02 Joint Chiefs of Staff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Do you have any wireless adapters for your PCs that plug in through a USB or ethernet port (like one of those wireless "bridges")? Some of those are compatible with the console too. The big advantage the 360 one would have over those is the fact that it's fairly small, clips right onto the system, and doesn't need any external power. It's a little expensive, but it's nice.
    Sure...I have this USB wireless adapter that came with my 3com router last week.

http://uk.shopping.com/xPC-OFFICECON...CT-USB-ADAPTER
    >>Cult Master of International Affairs<<

Advanced Member
    Well if it's driverless then it might work for the 360.. it's worth a shot.. you should try it..