Thread: Tweaking w/Vista Home Basic

Tweaking w/Vista Home Basic

Hi All,

My Mom thought she'd be the first to venture into Windows Vista. I have run the tcp analyzer and tcp optimization tool, but when I try to apply the changes, Vista won't let me. I get an error (on all the user accounts) that I don't have enough permissions to make the changes.

I know nothing about Vista (plenty about XP though), but I can't seem to get past it ... can anybody help me out?

Thanks,

--Jim

AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+ 2.0 ghz
    Windows Vista Home Basic
    Lenovo Thinkpad T61, Intel Centrino Pro Duo Core T7300 2.00 ghz, Vista Business SP1, 4g Ram, 80g HD

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Hi All,

My Mom thought she'd be the first to venture into Windows Vista. I have run the tcp analyzer and tcp optimization tool, but when I try to apply the changes, Vista won't let me. I get an error (on all the user accounts) that I don't have enough permissions to make the changes.

I know nothing about Vista (plenty about XP though), but I can't seem to get past it ... can anybody help me out?

Thanks,

--Jim

Windows Vista Home Basic
    Vista sets the tcp/ip settings automatic vs how XP did so its already optimized I'd say about 90% of what can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    Vista sets the tcp/ip settings automatic vs how XP did so its already optimized I'd say about 90% of what can be done.
    Here's what I got when I ran the analyzer (the items in red are the ones slowing me down, how do I change them?).

SpeedGuide.net TCP Analyzer Results
    Tested on: 03.13.2007 13:19
    IP address: xx.xxx

TCP options string: 020405b40103030201010402
    MSS: 1460
    MTU: 1500
    TCP Window: 65700 (multiple of MSS)
    RWIN Scaling: 2
    Unscaled RWIN : 16425
    Reccomended RWINs: 64240, 128480, 256960, 513920
    BDP limit (200ms): 2628kbps (329KBytes/s)
    BDP limit (500ms): 1051kbps (131KBytes/s)

MTU Discovery: ON
    TTL: 112
    Timestamps: OFF
    SACKs: ON
    IP ToS: 00000000 (0)
    Lenovo Thinkpad T61, Intel Centrino Pro Duo Core T7300 2.00 ghz, Vista Business SP1, 4g Ram, 80g HD

umm i'm giong to ask a question first before I try to answer more if you don't mind..

but is this the computer you have loaded Vista Basic on?

Micronpc P-III/733, 133 bus, WindowsXP Home Edition, 640m ram, 30gig, 7200 rpm hd, TDK 5200B 52x CDRW, 56x CD/DVD, nVidia, Motorola SB4100 Cable Modem
    ??

umm i'm giong to ask a question first before I try to answer more if you don't mind..

but is this the computer you have loaded Vista Basic on?

??
    No, actually that is my (outdated) profile. I put my mom's specs in the original post. Thanks for picking up on that. I cleared my specs for now, not sure if they'll still show up or not.

--Jim
    Last edited by Jake; 03-13-07 at 07:49 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    No, actually that is my (outdated) profile. I put my mom's specs in the original post. Thanks for picking up on that. I cleared my specs for now, not sure if they'll still show up or not.

--Jim
    well this is all I see as for hardware?
    How much ram you using?

But still bottom line is the Optimizer isn't going to work prob with Vista.. Vista is already set to tweak the connection it picks up on. You can to over to www.tweakvista.com and read up and perhaps download the software to help turn off some stuff you don't need running etc. But I think if you plan on using it for alot of stuff including games ya should have gotten Vista Home Premium cause the Basic doesn't have the Aero feature in it along with some more things I think, I'm running Ultimate.

well this is all I see as for hardware?

How much ram you using?

But still bottom line is the Optimizer isn't going to work prob with Vista.. Vista is already set to tweak the connection it picks up on. You can to over to www.tweakvista.com and read up and perhaps download the software to help turn off some stuff you don't need running etc. But I think if you plan on using it for alot of stuff including games ya should have gotten Vista Home Premium cause the Basic doesn't have the Aero feature in it along with some more things I think, I'm running Ultimate.
    I am almost 50 and live two hours from my folks, my mom is in her 70's. The vista version she has is appropriate for her, it's a Dell preloaded, so I imagine they have done enough computers to know how much ram Vista requires. I don't think games will be an issue, I just wanted to tweak her connection for her. Thanks for the tweakvista link.

--Jim