Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: getting a new pc. advice needed!

  1. #1

    getting a new pc. advice needed!

    ok im thinking of getting a barebones pc and putting my cd burners and 2 HD's in it. i was looking to spend VERy little when buying the barebones pc. around 2-3 hundred. the reason for this is that all im going to be doing is playig poker and maybe just some low end games, for example: diablo2 and gunz, amybe cs also.

    anyway, what i need in the way of specs are:

    motherboard:i dont know alot about how much the mobo can affect the speed of your computer but i dont want an expensive one, just a basic mobo.

    cpu: as for processor speed im looking for anything from 1.8 to 3 gig.

    ram:this is be where the brunt of my money will be spent. i need atleast 512 ram and perhaps a gig, i have 2 pc133 sticks, but i think those are too old lol.

    sounds/video cards: not needed

    i need all this instaled in the mobo already as i know near nothing about the power supplies of pcs.

    i was looking at something like this:
    http://www.smksuperstore.com/catalog...m.asp?ID=18936
    pretty much this with no warrantly and no extra power supply. also, the original cooling. add the 512 mb ram in there and it comes to 222.20. any suggestions on where to get for cheaper or what i should add to it? ALL SUGGESTIONS AND COMMENTS WELCOME AND APPRECIATED!

  2. #2
    What are you looking to get exactly? Intel/AMD? ....Biostar makes great motherboards very cheap .....50.00 or so for a decent board.


    Check out Newegg and browse.....you're sure to find a decent setup

  3. #3
    the make doesnt make much of a difference for me as i dont need a high end system. if i could choose either, i would take intel.

    and yeah i searched newegg but i dont want and entire computer. i have the peripherals already.

  4. #4

  5. #5
    thats a bit out of my price range and i need it all almost in the case already, i have no knowledge of power supplys so thats why i kinda want it all set up for me minus the ram and cd drives and the hd's

    thx for the info tho

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Danimal1209 View Post
    thats a bit out of my price range and i need it all almost in the case already, i have no knowledge of power supplys so thats why i kinda want it all set up for me minus the ram and cd drives and the hd's

    thx for the info tho
    you said 2-300 .....that's 320.00 total ..i realized it was a reach but hey C2D is the way to go ......any decent PSU will do ...kinda depends on what else your running ....how many opticals, hard drives, fans 'n such .... google a PSU calculator to get an idea of what you'll need

  7. #7
    welli dont know how a psu would be connected, i would take my broken computer apart to see but i cant, the screws are stripped.
    so basically, what i need is a new computer minus the peripherals, cd drives, and HD's. i also have the vid card i will use. and i know i said 300 but i really wouldnt like to go that high. i know 300 is not much to work with but ive seen things on different sites for as low at 171 dollars for a mobo cpu ram combo.

  8. #8
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    69,983
    Are you unsure how to connect the power supply or how to install all the hardware?

    I wouldnt trust that store:
    http://www.resellerratings.com/store/SMK_Superstore

    The cpu Izzo posted is much better than the Pentium D

    As for installing the powersupply, its easy, the connectors can only go in the right way.

    The only problem I see with the budget is that Izzos list doesnt factor in a PSU or a PCIe video card(an AGP card wont work in that motherboard).

    Barebones systems on newegg come with a case/mobo/PSU only.


    So what you could do is this:

    Case/mobo/PSU installed(onboard video) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856167008

    Then get the CPU and Ram Izzo reccomended. That brings you to 350 bucks, and you would need to install the CPU and heatsink, memory, plus your cdroms and hard drives. We could walk you through the process, memory is very easy and the CPUs are pretty straight forward too, some heatsinks can be annoying.

    its a good setup, it gives you video and the future expansion to PCIe. I dont know of a trusted site that sells barebones with case/psu/mobo/memory/cpu installed, sorry.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Are you unsure how to connect the power supply or how to install all the hardware?

    I wouldnt trust that store:
    http://www.resellerratings.com/store/SMK_Superstore

    The cpu Izzo posted is much better than the Pentium D

    As for installing the powersupply, its easy, the connectors can only go in the right way.

    The only problem I see with the budget is that Izzos list doesnt factor in a PSU or a PCIe video card(an AGP card wont work in that motherboard).

    Barebones systems on newegg come with a case/mobo/PSU only.


    So what you could do is this:

    Case/mobo/PSU installed(onboard video) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856167008

    Then get the CPU and Ram Izzo reccomended. That brings you to 350 bucks, and you would need to install the CPU and heatsink, memory, plus your cdroms and hard drives. We could walk you through the process, memory is very easy and the CPUs are pretty straight forward too, some heatsinks can be annoying.

    its a good setup, it gives you video and the future expansion to PCIe. I dont know of a trusted site that sells barebones with case/psu/mobo/memory/cpu installed, sorry.


    Ya, he said he had everything else ......not sure if that inlcuded a PSU, Vid card etc....I realized 'barebones' but anywhoo...

  10. #10
    the ram isnt that important when i buy the barebones or the combo buys. and i have a pci vid card along with an agp card, so thats fine. and putting the computer together isnt much of a task, minus the psu. ive never done one before.

  11. #11
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    69,983
    Why is the ram not important? you have DDR2 ram?

    To install a PSU you screw in 4 screws and plug it in

    Jus tmake sure you order from a good company.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Danimal1209 View Post
    the ram isnt that important when i buy the barebones or the combo buys. and i have a pci vid card along with an agp card, so thats fine. and putting the computer together isnt much of a task, minus the psu. ive never done one before.


    PCI or PCIe on the vid card?

  13. #13
    pci. and the ram isnt important with the combo i mean, i can always buy ram seperate. actually here is what im thi8nking just to get the computer up and running. then ill upgrade with more ram, a new vid card etc:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856110060

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819112211

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820609047

    the ram is just cheap ram so i can get the computer going. ill buy a gig afterwards. and i didnt know that about the psu thank you. i thought there was some sort setup in that little box hehe. thx

    oh and this setup would bring me to $223.89 after shipping

  14. #14
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    69,983
    I was looking at that asus before I recomended the MSi, I chose the MSI because it has a better chipset, adn possibly better video than the PCI card you have.

    I see your not looking to run that much, Gunz really beign the most intensive,

    So let me at least try and sway you away from the celeron to this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116003

  15. #15
    yeah thats not a bad cpu for the price but atm i cant spend very much and i just wanna get the computer going. what i really want to do is get the initial computer running and then id buy more ram, then a new cpu, then a new vid card. so for right now its pretty much just the cheapest stuff in the name brands. ok guys i think im set. your input really helped.

  16. #16
    Certified SG Addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    29,514
    You should buy a Dell.

Similar Threads

  1. Consumer advice on a pc
    By j0ey in forum Hardware & Overclocking
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-12-07, 10:54 AM
  2. Need serious advice with new PC
    By so0dz in forum Hardware & Overclocking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-08-07, 06:33 PM
  3. Pc Wireless Adapter needed?
    By jongru in forum Wireless Networks & Routers
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-30-06, 01:44 PM
  4. Help needed pc keeps crashing
    By cookyr in forum Software Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-20-05, 03:00 PM
  5. Built my PC, thanks for the advice SG.
    By Jada in forum Hardware & Overclocking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-27-05, 02:33 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •