Thread: Speed loss

Speed loss

I've just upgrade my wired router to a wireless router and ran into a problem i can't fix. On my old router i can get the download speed close to what i shoud get but after upgrade to the new wireless router (i am using wired ethernet connection on the new router) my download speed just drop to about 1/8th of what i use to has . I am hoping someone will know what's the problem since somebody must have had their old router replaced too. I can't find any answer on the net. Is there any seeting i need to change on the new router ??? My old router is the dlink di-604 and the new one is the dlink dir-655. I would appreciate any input.

fem the retarded rabbit mccoffee's Avatar
    make sure ping or icmp traffic is enabled on new
    mtu is set and enabled and on 1500 if you are cable ,or 1492 if you are on dsl
    make sure the firmware is up to date on the new rotuer too should help.
    Comptia a+ n+

Yes, i did all of that. I've think i've the problem solve. It has to do with the Auto speed sensing on my NIC and the router. I had to set my NIC to 100 mbps Full duplex and 100 mbps on the router, instead of using the Auto detect setting. Will post back in a few days to see if it works, thanks you for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by commast View Post
    Yes, i did all of that. I've think i've the problem solve. It has to do with the Auto speed sensing on my NIC and the router. I had to set my NIC to 100 mbps Full duplex and 100 mbps on the router, instead of using the Auto detect setting. Will post back in a few days to see if it works, thanks you for your reply.
    Setting 100 mbps at the Nic may work. But setting both the Nic and router to 100mbps full duplex will result in a half-duplex connection.

See this for more info: http://www.cites.uiuc.edu/network/au...l#consequences

That's an interesting article. Anyway, i has to set my old NIC to 100 mbps full duplex and the router at Auto. Haven't run into any problems yet and my download speed is back where it supposed to be. I am going to get a D-Link gigabit NIC to replace my old Linksys NIC. I think my old Linksys NIC can't communicate with the Gigabit port on the Dir-655 hence the speed loss. Thanks everybody for all the suggestions.

I experienced the opposite with my DI-624, hard coding the speed on the NIC resulted in a major speed reduction. I ordered a DIR-655 as my 624 is aging and having problems with VoIP.

Along with the DIR-655, I picked up an 8-Port Netgear 10/100/1000 desktop switch and CAT6 550MHz patch cables to replace my existing CAT5 cables.

Looking forward to getting everything swapped out and up and running.
    Best Regards,

CT