Thread: ok I'm really confused (external drive Q.)

ok I'm really confused (external drive Q.)

I've had my external drive for a few months now.. I generally keep it plugged into my computer, cos I'm still rearranging stuff. When I go to open a file on the X drive, it takes a second to open, I guess it has to start spinning? I can hear it start up, and then a couple seconds later, my file opens. Which is fine. But what's odd is, sometimes when I open a file I KNOW is on my actual laptop, not the X drive, it still hesitates, I hear the X drive start up, and then the file opens. I've been noticing this for a while now but just sort of brushed it off.

Then tonight I opened my ftp program (Cute ftp8 Home), and it said it couldn't find my default folder, which was c/users/mer/pictures/new. I got worried for a sec, and opened windows explorer and went and looked, and yes, all my files were there. I tried again in the ftp, and again, it said it couldn't find the "new" folder. On a hunch, I checked, and my X drive was turned off. I turned it on, and tried again, and voila - it showed up.

Can someone tell me wtf is going on? Why does the X drive need to be on for Cute ftp to see files that are on my laptop? And why does it hesitate when opening some files, and wait for the X drive to spool up, when the file is on the laptop, not the X drive? I don't get it
    There is security in fearlessness.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    You'll see that often with Windows...."explorer"...will want to take a peek into every drive that's attached to it.

Notice sometimes if you leave a CD in the player...if you open up My Computer....it will hang for a bit til the CD spins up?

Not sure about CuteFTP...I use FileZilla, but I'm guessing it's added your drive to local resources...and was hanging..waiting for it. Any way of removing that drive letter from within CuteFTP?
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

It shouldn't be hanging that way in CuteFTP. I also use CuteFTP and have an external hd also and don't experience that issue.

Not sure what the resolution is except to perhaps check your settings again.

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    You'll see that often with Windows...."explorer"...will want to take a peek into every drive that's attached to it.

Notice sometimes if you leave a CD in the player...if you open up My Computer....it will hang for a bit til the CD spins up?

Not sure about CuteFTP...I use FileZilla, but I'm guessing it's added your drive to local resources...and was hanging..waiting for it. Any way of removing that drive letter from within CuteFTP?
    ahh kk.. so it just wants to look in every drive each time you want to open a file? That's interesting. I guess maybe I'll finish organizing my stuff, and then keep the X drive unplugged unless I need it.

I looked in Cute FTP and it does allow you to delete the letter, but I'm not sure what happens when you delete it, so I didn't do it. It wouldn't actually delete the stuff on my X drive, right? It just deletes the letter?
    There is security in fearlessness.

Hello princess.

Quote Originally Posted by 9mmprincess View Post
    ahh kk.. so it just wants to look in every drive each time you want to open a file? That's interesting. I guess maybe I'll finish organizing my stuff, and then keep the X drive unplugged unless I need it.

I looked in Cute FTP and it does allow you to delete the letter, but I'm not sure what happens when you delete it, so I didn't do it. It wouldn't actually delete the stuff on my X drive, right? It just deletes the letter?
    it shouldn't delete the contents of the drive 9mm...

To be safe, can you unplug the external hdd... and still have the option to remove X: from CuteFTP? if so, then remove it- for sure nothing will happen to X: if it's disconnected when you try that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post

There are idiots everywhere.

At work, in forums, in poetry classes, everywhere!