Thread: DSL Download Problems

DSL Download Problems

Hello everybody! I recently moved into a new house, and received Verizon DSL, hoping to have basically the same speed as I did when I had cable.

When I first started using the DSL, download speeds were pretty much fine, and at times I was hitting speeds I consider normal (80-200kbs). But, recently my downloads will not, and can not surpass 40kbs. I tried calling Verizon, but according to them, my download speed is fine (bull, I should not be getting 23kbs on downloading anything!)

Videos play very slow too. The video will load for about 10 seconds, play for about 5, buffer for about 10, and play for about 5, etc.

My model version: Westell Model 327W

If there is anything I can do to help you with helping me, just ask. All i want to do is watch videos and download material at a normal speed.

Thanks to everyone in advance!

By the way, my friend who lives right down the street from me, has the same exact model and internet, and does not have the issues I have. >.<

Advertising 768kbps minimum.

Image(s):
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...nt=baddsl1.jpg
    Last edited by rfzbaker; 03-05-07 at 06:59 PM.

Advanced Member
    Hah! I have the same modem.. same ISP too.. crappy tech support.. I tried to bother with them before.. pain in the arse.. was on hold for the longest time.. blah..

Well hope this helps.. it's off of portforward.com .. my problem was a bit different than yours but still it should be a bit helpful..

I kind of did this a while ago.. with the help of a couple people on portforward.com.. so yeah those names that are in there aside from Uriel Consolo are from portforward.com.. (uriel consolo = me)

Okay look at the image. See how the red light is on in the Internet section? that's my problem it's got to be green and I've thought of everything I could think of which is everything they tell me at the Verizon website (reset modem, unplug it and turn it off and on) and none of those things work so I’m trying to figure out if my modem is the problem which I'm sure it is because no matter what I do it never seems to work so I just want some reassurance that it is indeed my modem and nothing else...

My previous problem before me and my brother moved it from my room to his room is in the picture below it's an animation rather small animation 29.48 kb so it shouldn't make this page load any much slower..

Notice how it's green... Now notice how it disappears... that's what always happened before we moved it to my brothers room.. The internet kept turning off so I couldn't stay connected to the internet for long... and this is why when I tested my Xbox Live connection on my Xbox 360 it would always fail on something ranging from IP Address to Xbox Live it mainly turns off during ICMP and Xbox Live it'll sometimes go off on DNS and MTU which is pretty much in between IP Address and Xbox Live after Xbox live is NAT which I can't get to since I could never get past Xbox Live...

I am using DSL not Cable, I’m using a Westell Versalink 327W Modem and my ISP is Verizon.

Originally posted by MarkM

DSLreports.com can help with these types of problems, but why don't you just call up Verizon and tell them your internet doesn't work properly and resetting the modem does not solve your problem. It could be a few things:

1. Modem is bad
    2. Your phone lines are bad
    3. You have a DSL filter on the line going into the modem (you only want Filters on lines going into phones, not the modem.
    4. Verizon is having problems on their end.

So it probably is best to talk with Verizon because as you can see many of the problems could be related to them.

-Mark

Well I called them and no thanks to the Tech Support somewhere in India I was able to fix it on my own... they were leading me through the router page telling me to check the private LAN and public LAN then the guy told me that there’s no problem there... he doesn't know what to do and sent me to some other agent and I was hold for a long time so I was screwing around and in my westell page... and I went to the advanced tab then to diagnostics like so..

Then I clicked on the button that’s highlighted in the picture then it went to this page.. (Picture below)

then I just clicked on the button that said restore defaults then it went away the page saying the router has been restarted then i wait for my connection to reconnect and it did then I was able to surf the internet and do everything again i went to my router making sure I wasn’t on somebody else’s wi-fi network and I just saw it... and it was no longer red... it was a solid green... well I think that's all I should really say... since well I don’t know if this was just a fluke or it actually does work a lot of the times when nothing else works... I guess we'll have to wait and see if someone else gets the same problem as I do... oh by the way I was on hold for a long time so I had a lot of time to screw around and by the time I got an agent i told them that I had already fixed my problem i had to reset it to factory defaults...

Well I showed this to a friend of mines he likes to use my solution as a first resort I use it as a last because I like to try the other stuff first...

1. Reset your router/modem using the small reset button located somewhere in the back using a paperclip, pencil or whatever fits in there.

1A. if your router/modem doesn't have a reset button simply turn it off and on using the on/off switch.

1B. if your router/modem doesn't have either of the above just simply unplug the power source and plug it back in.

If that doesn't work

2. Repeat process 1 except this time remove all the cables and plug them back in after turning it back on.

If that doesn't work

3. Make sure your phone line is working properly

3A. If phone line is working properly be sure your phone jack is working properly.

If that doesn't work.

4. Be sure you're not using an excessively long phone cord or Ethernet cord as this can create delays thus getting slower internet so if your modem/router is next to your computer do not use a 10 foot or longer cable to connect it to your PC or MAC.

If you've checked that your cables and they're not excessively long then keep reading.

5. Be sure that your hardware that you're using to connect to the internet is up to date and correctly plugged in all the way as sometimes hardware tends to come loose.

if you've checked that your hardware is correctly plugged in continue reading.

6. Be sure you have up to date drivers for your hardware.

If you've checked that you have up to date drivers for your hardware continue reading.

7. Be sure that your router/modem isn't near any magnets and by magnets I mean like speakers that aren't in demagnetized. A safe distance would be a minimum of 3 feet away from large magnets like speakers
    7A. Also keep unprotected cables away from these magnets as this can cause problems such as no or limited connectivity or slow internet.

Now if you've done all this and your internet is still slow or isn't working please try to do what I did and go to your router/modem page by typing in your address bar 192.168.1.1 and that should lead you to your modem page if your router/modem page has a button somewhere that allows you to restore it to the factory defaults click on it and it should restore everything back to it's original status ... now if you've never accessed your router/modems page the defaults is usually admin and password this sometimes varies but it tends to be something simple as admin and admin or password and password or password and admin... now if none of these work chances are you probably accessed it before but don’t remember doing so. so just reset your router by holding the reset button for about 10 seconds or by killing the power for about a minute and it should bring it back to the normal status before the original username and password... and of course if this reset fixes your internet problem there’s no real need to access your router/modems page unless you need to port forward one of your programs and to change your username and password for your router/modems page... this is just a small simple guide to try and help you try and fix your internet problem if you've tried all of this and your internet still doesn't work you could try and call your ISP's (internet service provider) tech support or if it's just your router buy a new one and for now just stick with connecting straight to your modem.

if it's your modem that's the problem do the same exact steps as I said and if none of these things help then call tech support if the stuff they doesn’t help it's more than likely it's your modem that’s the problem you might have to call up your ISP for a replacement modem…

Also please make sure that you don't have any viruses or spyware or malware or adware blocking up your line because this also creates problems with your internet making it go slower...

Uriel Consolo

If you need help with port forwarding this is your site if you need help with internet problems you might want to try 2 really good forums you can check out and try...

Oh and also you might want to call your ISP’s tech support as you can usually ask them to run a line test on your line and sometimes it’s your line that is the problem and not the modem…

www.speedguide.net
    www.broadbandnuts.com

Originally Posted by BobR

Just a little bit of follow up about what those lights on a modem actually mean...

When you first power up your modem (or reset it), the modem goes through a 2-step process to connect you to the Internet.

First it has to make a connection to the DSL equipment at your telephone company's Central Office. This is like picking up your telephone and getting a "dial tone", or checking your cell phone to see if you get "Service" or "No Service". If you don't get a dial tone, (or get a "No Service" message), you can't make a call.

Then it has to make a connection over the phone system to your individual Internet Service Provider. This is like actually dialing the phone to make your call.

The "DSL" light reflects the connection between your broadband modem and the "DSLAM" hardware at your telephone company's Central Office. It has NOTHING to do with your connection to the Internet, only your connection into the phone system.

If the DSL light is green, it means your modem has successfully negotiated a DSL connection to the phone company, and is ready to connect to whatever Internet Service Provider you may have.

This DSL light has to be GREEN (or ON, depending on your specific modem), before anything else can happen.

If the DSL light is RED, or OFF, it generally means a problem with the phone line, or something related to the phone service.

Once the DSL light is green, the modem can proceed to "Step 2" of making your connection, logging into your Internet Service Provider.

The "Internet" light reflects the status of this connection to your ISP.

If the light is GREEN and on SOLIDLY, it means the modem has made the proper connection to your ISP, and you should be ready to connect to the Internet.

If the light is OFF, or FLASHING, it usually means there's a problem connecting to your ISP. This could be because the password your modem is set to use is wrong for your ISP account, or it could just be a temporary service outage at the ISP.

Many modems have a "Network Connection" page, or a "WAN" page which will let you Test the connection to your ISP, and which may let you manually try to connect. Most modems will automatically do all this, but sometimes they need to be "kicked" a little by pressing the Manual Connect (or ReConnect) button on the settings page.

Be careful NOT to change anything unless you know exactly what you're doing because this section of the modem's setups is CRITICAL to your being able to connect to the Internet.

If you're getting a green DSL light, but a flashing, or dead Internet light, you should call your ISP and ask them for help.

And- completely unrelated to your modem's connection to the Internet, the "Wireless" light and/or "LAN" (or Ethernet) light show whether your computer is connected to the modem.

If the Wireless light isn't on when you're using a wireless laptop or game system, it usually means there's something wrong in the wireless setups on either the modem (router), or computer/game system, (or of course, your computer is too far away for the wireless to reach).

If the LAN light isn't on when your computer is plugged directly into the modem (router) with a cable, it usually means a problem with the cable between the modem and your computer, or the "network card" in the computer may have a problem.
    Last edited by pinguinosupremo; 03-05-07 at 07:58 PM.

Thank you, ill look this over =)

My download speeds still blow!

Alright, for the last month or so I have been having problems with my Verizon DSL. The main problem is, I can not download for crap. But, there is an interesting twist to this..

So far, the following methods were attempted by me that Verizon suggested:

* Restart Computer - Did not work
    Restart Modem - Did not work
    Turn modem off for 1 hour - Did not work
    Get a longer ethernet cable, instead of phone cord, because ethernet cable is faster - Did not work
    Remove all file sharing, spyware, viruses - Did not work
    Replace filters - Speed test on speakeasy went from 40kbs down, to 200-1000 down. (Im supposed to be getting up to 3000 kbs download.

It turns out a filter was burnt out or something, but, my speeds are still very slow. My download tests come out okay, but once I get to the internet and actually try downloading anything, its only going at 15-30 kbs. That's worse than dial up! (I think lol)

Here is a small twist to the story. If I turn on any of the house phones, get a dial tone, my download speed will increase from about 24kbs to 100-250 kbs.

I don't know what to do. Ive tried everything, I've thought of everything i can do, and nothing works. Why would my phone being on effect the speed of my download if everything is filtered properly? I'm so confused, and could use some major help, because I'm sick of downloading at turtle-like speeds. Please help

Thanks in advance..

Advanced Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rfzbaker View Post
    My download speeds still blow!

Alright, for the last month or so I have been having problems with my Verizon DSL. The main problem is, I can not download for crap. But, there is an interesting twist to this..

So far, the following methods were attempted by me that Verizon suggested:

* Restart Computer - Did not work
    Restart Modem - Did not work
    Turn modem off for 1 hour - Did not work
    Get a longer ethernet cable, instead of phone cord, because ethernet cable is faster - Did not work
    Remove all file sharing, spyware, viruses - Did not work
    Replace filters - Speed test on speakeasy went from 40kbs down, to 200-1000 down. (Im supposed to be getting up to 3000 kbs download.

It turns out a filter was burnt out or something, but, my speeds are still very slow. My download tests come out okay, but once I get to the internet and actually try downloading anything, its only going at 15-30 kbs. That's worse than dial up! (I think lol)

Here is a small twist to the story. If I turn on any of the house phones, get a dial tone, my download speed will increase from about 24kbs to 100-250 kbs.

I don't know what to do. Ive tried everything, I've thought of everything i can do, and nothing works. Why would my phone being on effect the speed of my download if everything is filtered properly? I'm so confused, and could use some major help, because I'm sick of downloading at turtle-like speeds. Please help

Thanks in advance..
    Well unfortunately I don't think I can help.. but i'm sure someone else around here can.. at least I hope so.. but all I can think of is that it's some sort of line problem.. I would get that checked out..

i had a proble soemthing like your but mine kinda just came around one day i notice pages loading slow and d/l's not hitting 50kbps so called verizon and they told me to unplug the modem for 10 second and plug it back so u mite wanna try that

i also have a question on my speed tests online i am scoring welling to the t1 ranges but on downloads i am getting 200 max could my router be holding em down or is there something i dont know because i am more of a hard ware guy not realy a big network person i would apprecate and feed back thanks