Thread: Help to beginner for hardware (wireless internet)

Help to beginner for hardware (wireless internet)

There is a wireless ISP near me and I want to connect to them.

Now, I have a laptop with wireless card in it and I have connected to wireless internet through that ISP.

I want to install yagi antenna in my balcony and put cable through balcony wall in my house and connect to AP.

I am beginner to wireless networks so don't laugh if I said something wrong.

I want to use laptop from anywhere in my house to connect to wireless ISP but I am not sure what equipment I need.

Does AP do this, what I mean does AP work independent from computer, does AP makes signal available through my house?

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    It sort of depends on what equipment you have...to connect to your ISP..you may possibly have some CPE (customer premise equipment) from them.

On the clients I have on metro wireless ISPs...(they use Motorola Canopy)....there's the subscriber module on the clients site..such as rooftop, or outside some window. This runs down to the router that I put in place...the WAN interface of the router is configured to a static IP address that the ISP uses for that client. In this situation...if I wanted wireless...I could replace that router with a wireless router. Or....I could add an access point to it...placing that access point anywhere in the building/office...as long as it could connect to a LAN port of the router via CAT5 cable.

But it's a different wireless than the ISP....two different wireless things here.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    It sort of depends on what equipment you have...to connect to your ISP..you may possibly have some CPE (customer premise equipment) from them.

On the clients I have on metro wireless ISPs...(they use Motorola Canopy)....there's the subscriber module on the clients site..such as rooftop, or outside some window. This runs down to the router that I put in place...the WAN interface of the router is configured to a static IP address that the ISP uses for that client. In this situation...if I wanted wireless...I could replace that router with a wireless router. Or....I could add an access point to it...placing that access point anywhere in the building/office...as long as it could connect to a LAN port of the router via CAT5 cable.

But it's a different wireless than the ISP....two different wireless things here.

If I understand it correctly I need to connect AP to some Wireless Router in order to have what I want?

Is there some device that offers both in one, I mean AP and Wireless Router together?

Is this the device I need? (that is ISP recommended hardware)

http://www.planet.com.tw/product/pro...388&menu_id=14

Also can someone explain me difference between that one and this two AP's?
    http://www.planet.com.tw/product/pro...389&menu_id=14
    http://www.planet.com.tw/product/pro...390&menu_id=14

An access point would be uplinked to an existing regular wired router. This may be handy if the wired router is in a difficult location that wouldn't help you wirelessly.

Or...as mentioned above...you can replace your current wired router...with a wireless router...that way you would only have 1x device. Yes..such as that one you linked above..although I've never heard of that brand.

Quote Originally Posted by wirel View Post
    If I understand it correctly I need to connect AP to some Wireless Router in order to have what I want?

Is there some device that offers both in one, I mean AP and Wireless Router together?

Is this the device I need? (that is ISP recommended hardware)

http://www.planet.com.tw/product/pro...388&menu_id=14

Also can someone explain me difference between that one and this two AP's?
    http://www.planet.com.tw/product/pro...389&menu_id=14
    http://www.planet.com.tw/product/pro...390&menu_id=14
    Guinness for Strength!!!

You don't want to use a yagi with a cable longer than a couple feet maximum. The longer the cable is, the more the signal is weakened.

It sounds like what you want to do is have the distant wlan signal stretched/strengthened so you can connect from anywhere inside your house instead of just from your balcony. If so, what you need to do is setup your own access point that acts as a repeater for the distant wlan. Many APs can be configured in repeater mode. However, to do this you should have permission from the distant wlan router-AP provider.

You could also just use a wifi adapter that is more powerful, such as:
    http://www.data-alliance.net/servlet...-fdsh-A/Detail
    but you also MUST use an external antenna with this card.
    ...and if the distant wlan is not your paid for connection then you should have permission from the owner of the wlan.
    Last edited by TonyT; 02-28-07 at 10:31 AM.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    You don't want to use a yagi with a cable longer than a couple feet maximum. The longer the cable is, the more the signal is weakened.

It sounds like what you want to do is have the distant wlan signal stretched/strengthened so you can connect from anywhere inside your house instead of just from your balcony. If so, what you need to do is setup your own access point that acts as a repeater for the distant wlan. Many APs can be configured in repeater mode. However, to do this you should have permission from the distant wlan router-AP provider.

You could also just use a wifi adapter that is more powerful, such as:
    http://www.data-alliance.net/servlet...-fdsh-A/Detail
    but you also MUST use an external antenna with this card.
    ...and if the distant wlan is not your paid for connection then you should have permission from the owner of the wlan.

Can this wireless broadband router http://www.planet.com.tw/product/pro...388&menu_id=14 do that job?
    ISP allows use of that router.

Access point as repeater

I want to set access point to repeater mode so I could connect to ISP with outdoor antenna and then transmit that internet signal in my house and connect to AP wirelessly from my computer with internal wireless card so I could connect to internet.

My question is, can someone else (whom I don't know) use my AP to connect to the internet since it acts as a repeater or can I configure AP so that only I use that repeated signal?

Also, does ISP's allows that kind of use of AP? Will they actually notice at all?

Please continue with the same original post....

If someone else can connect or not..that depends on if you use security such as WPA on your wireless LAN.

If your ISP will notice..yes they can if they want to. If they care or not..depends on their TOS.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Please continue with the same original post....

If someone else can connect or not..that depends on if you use security such as WPA on your wireless LAN.

If your ISP will notice..yes they can if they want to. If they care or not..depends on their TOS.
    Ok, sorry, it is similar post.

Well, I will have to try it and then see, I don't think there's anything wrong there.