Thread: What router is good for RCA DCM425C modem

Question What router is good for RCA DCM425C modem

I have RCA DCM425C modem provided by comcast in my apartment. I have a laptop so i want to use it free of cable in the apartment. I do not have much nowledge in terms of routers but heard that by connecting this modem to a router I can use it as wireless. So my questions are:

1) Is it possible to connect this modem to a router to get normal quality wireless Internet? If yes whcih router would be good (brand, model)?

2) are there any negative consequences/effects of connecting this modem to a router?

I would greatly appreciate any response.

Thanks in advance.

Frank

1. Yes, Depending on the laptop. At least a "G" router Check out linksys wrt54g

2. Yes/No You will be dealing with another firewall like the one built into XP or Vista. If oyu dont change the default passwords or set a password on the wireless via wap wpa wpa2 (those right?) then you will be providing free access to anyone near by.

someone much better at this will be by soon enough with more info and better typing skills XD

I have Dell E1505 laptop which catches wireless signals nicely. Recently i did have a "free" internet from my neighborhood but did not last long: the owner put a password into the network. One was NETGEAR and the other was LINKSYS. I will give a try relying on your suggestions. But the router seems a bit pricy but seems worth to try.

Thanks for the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by morbidpete View Post
    1. Yes, Depending on the laptop. At least a "G" router Check out linksys wrt54g

2. Yes/No You will be dealing with another firewall like the one built into XP or Vista. If oyu dont change the default passwords or set a password on the wireless via wap wpa wpa2 (those right?) then you will be providing free access to anyone near by.

someone much better at this will be by soon enough with more info and better typing skills XD