Thread: paintball

paintball

so i went paintballing today for the first time, and really enjoyed it. This could become a weekly or biweekly thing, and might turn out to be worth investing in a gun.

the only thing i know is that i am looking for is a semi automatic one.

so if some of you with some knowledge could share where to buy, and what to look for that would be great.

thanks

Advanced Member
    Well I don't know anything about that... i know this for sure.. at first I thought the title read "monkeyball" but it turned out I just had your name mixed in with the title.. so yeah.. well good luck with this

hey monkeyhead - I'm just getting into paintball too ... it's a blast isn't it? my son's been doing it for a while, and I've recently started joining in ...

Here's a good place to order gear: Discount Paintball

we've bought quite a few things from D.P. and have never been disappointed

my son has a Kingman Spyder Electra w/ Eyes paintball gun w/ a Halo hopper - very sweet setup ... I think I'm going to get pretty much the same thing when I save up enough money

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

thanks jamie, looks like a pretty good site, i'll probably start out with one of those complete package deals, then learn and go from there...

Hey there monkey, I play paint ball as much as possible, I would recommend that you start out w/ some sort of spyder... My first gun was a spyder, very good gun, my second gun (the one I have now) is a spyder electra w/ eyes, mine has a BPS (Balls Per Second) rate of 30.

Good Luck With The Paint Ball!

HAVE FUN!!!
    Last edited by FoamyX; 03-04-07 at 09:27 AM.
    IBANEZ GUITARS!

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyhead View Post
    thanks jamie, looks like a pretty good site, i'll probably start out with one of those complete package deals, then learn and go from there...
    that's what we did
    IBANEZ GUITARS!

I've been playing tournament xball for about 4 or 5 years now, I started with a mechanical spyder back in the day before electronics and have owned 8 or 9 markers up to my current being a 2005 Smart Parts Shocker.

Spyders are a great place to start, definitely go with a package and upgrade your gun from there. They are rather forgiving guns as far as maintenance and upgrades go, perfect for new owners.

If you're looking for a little more speed and performance the highest end starter gun I would recommend is the Smart Parts Ion. However, the gun alone starts around $225 and with upgrades can take some work to maintain. (My brother owns one and I've spent alot of time working on it.) They are available at most websites in packages just like the Spyders.

A few good websites to order from:
    http://www.ActionVillage.com (my favorite, fast shipping and great customer service)
    http://www.DiscountPaintball.com
    http://www.PunishersPB.com

what is the main component that is going to make one gun better than another. when i was playing, i could feel the difference between the guns we rented and ones that people owned.... are there any that will offer better accuracy?

one complaint i have is that for the most part of the day i was playing with one gun, then in our last round i ran out of co2, so i switched guns with someone else, and his seemed to be a little faster which may of provided a little more accuracy, however it was the same gun....

I was going to get into it until I looked at not only the initial cost of equipment but the paintballs and costs per day.
    got old

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyhead View Post
    what is the main component that is going to make one gun better than another. when i was playing, i could feel the difference between the guns we rented and ones that people owned.... are there any that will offer better accuracy?

one complaint i have is that for the most part of the day i was playing with one gun, then in our last round i ran out of co2, so i switched guns with someone else, and his seemed to be a little faster which may of provided a little more accuracy, however it was the same gun....
    Most rental guns at fields are mechanical in nature, no electronics just moving parts. They are usually very low maintenance guns so they can vary a great deal in performance.

Any gun that you get is most likely going to be electronic, the trigger will activate a switch which runs through a circuit board and activates the firing mechanism.

There is no one component of a marker which makes it better or worse than others. For accuracy your biggest concern should be barrel length, sometimes the firing bolt, and most of all the quality of the actual paint you will be firing. Most cheap paint has dimples in it's shell which case it to fly less accurately, the higher end the paint the better your accuracy generally (as long as you keep the barrel clean after ball breaks).

When it comes to barrel length the general trade off is:
    Shorter - allows faster rates of fire and less air consumption per shot
    Longer - provides greater accuracy

The general tournament player's barrel is 14", however people who prefer to stay back and fire more shots a long distance will sometimes go for 16", or even 18" in rare cases.

One thing to remember in paintball is that aftermarket components are usually dozens of times better than stock components (except for some of the highest end markers), it's how the market makes more money. If you decide to go with a Spyder it will probably come with an inexpensive 12" barrel, which you may want to upgrade. My favorite Spyder barrel is a J&J Ceramic, available in most sizes and usually about $30.

Quote Originally Posted by Think View Post
    I was going to get into it until I looked at not only the initial cost of equipment but the paintballs and costs per day.
    Yeah, the per day cost can be steep compared to some sports. I usually burn about $30-$40 for a day of casual recball (includes field fee, cheap paint, and air).