Thread: Wired Router for Vista

Question Wired Router for Vista

I have a BEFSR41 V.2 Linksys Router that is connected to my 2 PCs using Cable Modem. I have been having an occasional problem with Vista dropping my internet connection. It occurred this morning and I unplugged/replugged the Router and I was able to get online ok.

I looked in my Vista Event Viewer and see that the following error has occurred 5 times in the last 7 days. The error is:

Event 1002, DHCP-Client

"The Ip address lease 192.168.1.35 for the Network address 0018F390EEC6 has been denied by the DHCP Server 192.168.1.1 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message)."

The Linksys Support people told me today that v.2 is not Vista compatible and that I need to upgrade to V.4.2.

Before I rush down to buy a new BEFSR41 v4.2, would one of you Pros please give me your advice as to whether I should get the Linksys or perhaps is there a better router for me. Plus, I don't want to buy a router that does not eliminate my problem.

I'm not a gamer and I need the setup to be simple. I found only a few reviews on Wired Routers and one of them was not complimentary of the Linksys BEFSR41 but I'm never sure if it's applicable for my use.

Thanks for your comments.
    Rookie (some day)

Set a static ip on the Vista comp and use 192.168.1.99. Then disable the DHCP client service on Vista. reboot. Voila! no more dhcp errors or failures to renew.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    Set a static ip on the Vista comp and use 192.168.1.99. Then disable the DHCP client service on Vista. reboot. Voila! no more dhcp errors or failures to renew.
    Cool! Thanks TontT...I'll give it a go.

Thanks for the help!
    Rookie (some day)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    I spoke at bit too quick. At first reading I thought you were saying I needed to make static IP in Router but you say Vista PC.

Can you explain how I do this? IPv6 or IPv4, both or elsewhere?

Thank you

Rookie (some day)

Do it on IPv4 (32bits) only, as IPv6 that use longer address (128bits) is still not popular.

For the DNS server, you can try OpenDNS if your ISP's DNS server is down.

Quote Originally Posted by picohat View Post
    Do it on IPv4 (32bits) only, as IPv6 that use longer address (128bits) is still not popular.

For the DNS server, you can try OpenDNS if your ISP's DNS server is down.
    Thanks for the help. Here's what I've done to set it up if I got everything correct:

1. Set Static IP in Vista (Select TCP/IP (IPv4), and manually enter an IP, subnet mask and default gateway.
    2. Manually enter your DNS settings too.
    2. Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP" which can be found in the IPv4 properties > Advanced options under the WINS tab.
    3. Untick IPv6 (IPv6 is enabled by default. Best to untick)
    4. Then disable the DHCP client service on Vista.
    5. Reboot

I've been monitoring this all day and while I've not dropped my connection, I have been getting the Event 7001 error a lot of times: (Is this something I should be concerned with?

Rookie (some day)

Quote Originally Posted by Rookie View Post
    Thanks for the help. Here's what I've done to set it up if I got everything correct:

1. Set Static IP in Vista (Select TCP/IP (IPv4), and manually enter an IP, subnet mask and default gateway.
    2. Manually enter your DNS settings too.
    2. Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP" which can be found in the IPv4 properties > Advanced options under the WINS tab.
    3. Untick IPv6 (IPv6 is enabled by default. Best to untick)
    4. Then disable the DHCP client service on Vista.
    5. Reboot

I've been monitoring this all day and while I've not dropped my connection, I have been getting the Event 7001 error a lot of times: (Is this something I should be concerned with?

I disable the Vista Service "WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto Discovery" and the Event 7001 Errors have stopped. Also, have not dropped my internet connection since using the Static IP.

This seems to be working but is the better fix to buy a new/Vista compatible router?

Thanks
    Rookie (some day)