Thread: Help with DSL and networking with router

Help with DSL and networking with router

Hello, for some reason I'm having trouble getting the verizon DSL to work with my Belkin router...it was working fine, then the connection started going in and out..called verizon and they had me reset everything while they troubleshot with the lines....
    So now I can only get my DSL to work by directly connecting my PC to the DSL modem (Westell 6100) I have PPPoE set on the router and DHCP off, this seems to be the only way to get it working at all. On the router, Pppoe is still enabled because that's how it was set when the connection broke....
    Can both the router and the DSL modem have PPPOe set (that doesn't seem right) so i think before the DSL modem was set as a bridge instead..but it doesn't work at all anymore...

HELP!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by nikkizeta View Post
    Hello, for some reason I'm having trouble getting the verizon DSL to work with my Belkin router...it was working fine, then the connection started going in and out..called verizon and they had me reset everything while they troubleshot with the lines....
    So now I can only get my DSL to work by directly connecting my PC to the DSL modem (Westell 6100) I have PPPoE set on the router and DHCP off, this seems to be the only way to get it working at all. On the router, Pppoe is still enabled because that's how it was set when the connection broke....
    Can both the router and the DSL modem have PPPOe set (that doesn't seem right) so i think before the DSL modem was set as a bridge instead..but it doesn't work at all anymore...

HELP!
    The Westell 6100 establishes the PPPoE connection and provides your PC with the IP address 192.168.1.2.

With your PC directly connected, open a DOS prompt window (Click Start, Run, then type CMD then Enter) and type netstat -r, then <enter>.

Under where it says Gateway, you will see the inside (LAN) IP Address of the Westell 6100. Might be 192.168.1.1/24.

Under where it says Interface, you will see your assigned IP (Westell DHCP); which might be 192.168.1.2/24.
    This will now be the WAN interface IP of your Belkin router.

Your Belkin router should then be configured for a Static IP, with the WAN address as 192.168.1.2/24. Then in the Belkin router, you will create your private LAN network to whatever you want. With DHCP enabled, your PC will then be assigned an IP from your new private network once it's connected to the Belkin.

So in summary:

Westell 6100
    Outside (WAN) interface = whatever it is as per Verizon, we don't care
    Inside (LAN) interface = 192.168.1.1/24
    |
    |
    |
    Belkin router
    Outside (WAN) interface = 192.168.1.2/24 *Static IP*
    Inside (LAN) interface = 192.168.5.1/24 *example*
    |
    |
    |
    Your inside network is 192.168.5.0/24, as per your DHCP range preference.
    Connect your computer and you should be good to go.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by SynSyn; 03-01-07 at 05:13 PM. Reason: typo

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Actually I don't like double NAT'ing..flip the Westel into pure bridged mode...and configure your Belkin to do the PPPoE and be the only instance of NAT...the Belkin will have a public IP address on the WAN interface.

Same steps as this link.....substitute Belkin for the Linksys in this example...
    http://www.dslreports.com/faq/9687
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!