Thread: Achieving best possible latency/ping

Achieving best possible latency/ping

I'm overwhelmed with all the information on the forums so not sure where to start. I'll try my best to be thorough.

About two weeks ago we installed AT&T High Speed Dsl because of some deal with our direct tv. Generally I'm pinging 66-100(bad registry) to Chicago servers where on my old ISP provider I would get 30-40. So I dediced to upgrade our dsl package from 1.5 megs down to 3 megs. I still recieved the same latency so I dediced to go up 6 megs down with still the same latency. It appears that I've been getting the same upload of around 800-968~ kbs without and getting minimal change in ping to all game servers. I don't care too much for my download rate and seems a waste to pay the extra $20 with same upload.
    So I'm wondering is there any way I could fix this or if my ISP could do anything about it. I believe the upload I recieve isn't suppose to happen, but I figured upgrading my dsl would in turn reduce latency. For now I have to stick with this ISP. If there's other info I need to provide I'll do so, but at the moment unsure of what steps to take.
    Not sure if this is even fixable, however any insight would be appreciated

i dotn think its fixxable, also dosnt dsl have the best pings anyways. the download speed wont help your ping at all, ping is round trip time. not download time.

well
    this is what someone recommended to me, they said to call ur dsl provider and complain a bout your high latency.o_0

66-100 isnt somethign an ISP would consider bad, DSL has a set in time I think so it might get better after a month or so.

Also with a new ISP things will be routed differently and so some servers may have a few more hops and some others a few less.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    66-100 isnt somethign an ISP would consider bad, DSL has a set in time I think so it might get better after a month or so.

Also with a new ISP things will be routed differently and so some servers may have a few more hops and some others a few less.
    Ya, how long have you been dealing with it ? You sure you're virus/spyware free? Anything downloading/updating while you're online.

I make absolutely certain I have only minimal services running while gaming.

Advanced Member
    use cfosspeed.. very good program..

http://www.cfos.de/speed/cfosspeed_e.htm