Thread: Desktop to Laptop internet sharing

Desktop to Laptop internet sharing

Hello all,
    My household (4 desktops between us) share broadband internet via a wired router. I want my laptop to share my desktop's internet connection...

I've got 2 NICs (using ethernet cables) in my desktop and have successfully made lap and desk visible to each other. At the moment all desktops on the network have static IP addresses of 192.168.0.x and the router is on 192.168.0.1.

My laptop's IP is 169.254.178.233 and Default Gateway is set to the IP of my desktop's 2nd NIC (169.254.178.232). This works fine for file sharing.

If I try to activate Windows Internet Connection Sharing on the desktop I get an error because it wants to set the IP to 192.168.0.1 and this conflicts with the router. Can I get round this somehow or should I try altering the router's IP and making appropriate changes to Default Gateways on each individual desktop?

Any help will be much appreciated

Laptop sharing,

Hi,

Try this, it is the ROUTER that assigns(gives) all the IP addresses to each piece of equipment, with everything connected switch off the Modem and Router and Comp's and leave off for 3mins (this gives the modem time to forget what was last plugged into it) when restarted the router does its job and everything has new/refreshed number's, also the net should now be on on all of the comps, hope this helps.

Regards, Ellgor.

Hi Ellgor,

thanks for the input. I can't actually test your suggestion right now because other peeps are busy using t'internet for various downloads and things but, as far as I can see, that would not solve the problem. The computers on the network have static IP addresses, meaning they have all been configured manually to always use the same address. This is necessary because the router has been set to forward all connections on specific ports to specific computers and also because the firewalls on each comp are set to only allow connections from one another. Also the router does not have any direct interface to the laptop so it should not be involved with dynamic IP allocations to this comp. Admittedly all this is only based on my own ad-hoc knowledge but please, if you can think of anything else or if you can tell my why I'm wrong, keep the info coming

Hi again,

Forgot to mention that the router IS the Default Gateway to the Net, thats why it assigns all the IP's to your equipment after checking that nothing else has those numbers, so if you input the routers IP as the default gateway? You may have to set the portforwarding up again, or just change the IP to match, just in case, to get the IP, goto Run-type in "cmd"-in the black box that appears type in "ipconfig/all" under the Lan connection is the current IP of that comp, hope this helps.

Regards Ellgor

Hi Ellgor,

thanks again for the input. I've been troubleshooting with as many different configs as I can think of but nothing seems to work. There was a brief second when Google appeared on my laptop but then almost immediately afterwards the connection failed and I haven't got a clue why...

Anyway this is my current state:
    Desktop2Router has router as default gateway
    Desktop2Laptop has default gateway left blank
    Laptop2Desktop has router as default gateway

In this state the laptop can ping on Desktop2Laptop but not on Desktop2Router or the router itself.

If I change the default gateway on Desktop2Laptop to the router's IP then the desktop can no longer access the internet although it can still ping the router's inner (LAN) IP. The laptop still can't see anything apart from the Desktop2Laptop connection.

Any ideas???