Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: linux antivirus software ?

linux antivirus software ?

i have been running ubuntu in a virtual machine for awhile now, and just wondered, do i need to have some kinda anti virus stuff running on it ?

i use XP sp2 fully patched with AVG on it running through a liknsys router, so i have no troubles with that, just wondered if i should somehow protct the VM ?

i have it set in VMware to use something called bridged ethernet that i guess uses my windows network deal or however that all works

A+, Security+, Mobility+ Shinobi's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think you can get this from the repository.
    http://jodrell.net/projects/aegis

We don't have any AV software on any linux machines

I dont remeber the last time i heard of a linux machine being infected, there are hacks and exploits and that is a different story,

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    www.eset.com

clamav is free
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosthunter View Post
    We don't have any AV software on any linux machines

I dont remeber the last time i heard of a linux machine being infected, there are hacks and exploits and that is a different story,
    But if you have linux and windows systems together on a network you wouldnt want the linux ones to infect the windows ones.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    But if you have linux and windows systems together on a network you wouldnt want the linux ones to infect the windows ones.
    huh???

huh???
    There was an article I just read, dunno if it was on SG's main page or where, but it talked about people with linux or mac PCs on the same network sharing files with windows PCs running the risk of infecting the windows PCs because the infected files would be left untouched on the linux/mac systems and if the windows system didnt detect the virus then the virus could infect it.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    There was an article I just read, dunno if it was on SG's main page or where, but it talked about people with linux or mac PCs on the same network sharing files with windows PCs running the risk of infecting the windows PCs because the infected files would be left untouched on the linux/mac systems and if the windows system didnt detect the virus then the virus could infect it.

that sounds more like a windows problem

not a linux one. viruses cant hide in linux unlike windows

yos is saying keep av on both so the nix av catches windows viruses before a winbox even needs to scan, in the event of a winbox accessing a share w/ the virus on it. it stands to reason outside of why a nix av would catch windows viruses..

no. no, No. NO, NO... NO! stevebakh's Avatar
    The main reason you would have an anti virus software in linux, is if the box was host to a mail server that... served windows machines. It would scan the content of the email as it is routed through the linux server.

You don't need an anti-virus software to prevent attacks against linux.

Quote Originally Posted by stevebakh View Post
    The main reason you would have an anti virus software in linux, is if the box was host to a mail server that... served windows machines. It would scan the content of the email as it is routed through the linux server.

until nix becomes a more mainstream desktop os, that is

Quote Originally Posted by stevebakh View Post

that is a good point

no. no, No. NO, NO... NO! stevebakh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Amro View Post
    until nix becomes a more mainstream desktop os, that is
    Maybe, maybe not. Any kernel side exploits would be patched as soon as they're found and user space viruses would be pretty much pointless as they wouldn't be able to affect any files important to the running of the computer. So, I don't see much possibility for damaging viruses or trojans, more, worms and the like.

but I thought Linux couldn't get viruses ... like Macs

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

that sounds more like a windows problem

not a linux one. viruses cant hide in linux unlike windows
    Some worms have been out..and although they won't tank a *nix system like a Windows system now....you can be an unwilling spreader and pass them onto others. Responsible thing to try not to do this, no?

And as *nix grows in popularity....it's falling under the attention of those who make these.

Similar to Firefox...about a year ago I said as more and more peeps use it..more vulns will be out for it. Just last summer...I saw an article...Firefox surpassed IE for vulns found that quarter.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Some worms have been out..and although they won't tank a *nix system like a Windows system now....you can be an unwilling spreader and pass them onto others. Responsible thing to try not to do this, no?

And as *nix grows in popularity....it's falling under the attention of those who make these.

Similar to Firefox...about a year ago I said as more and more peeps use it..more vulns will be out for it. Just last summer...I saw an article...Firefox surpassed IE for vulns found that quarter.
    as steve said above

the thing is linux was built from the ground up with security in mind (a.k.a. Unix) due to being a multi user OS from the start and never running as root

it not like windows where it total opposite

there will always be exploits and hacks if not patched, that one can use to try and hack into the box, but as far as viruses, worms, malware, that windows has, you are not going to see it no matter how popular it gets.

both still missing the point yosc and i are making..no matter how secure your system is, others aren't, nix or windows based..you might have a noob setting up their gentoo to log in w/ root automatically into a wm on an older version of the kernal or some genius on a windows box who shut off the firewall while running the original xp release..you can still infect others regardless of your system's security, so why not just keep av on it to prevent that? no one is arguing how fast the oss community will respond to new exploits.

typically, no, it isn't needed to secure a nix box since the majority of attacks don't target them, but that's not going to be the case forever plus you might as well help those who don't know how to secure their own winux boxes -- what do you have to lose? 30MB of ram, 15MB of diskspace and a few cpu cycles?

Up above when I said "they won't tank a *nix system like a Windows system now"...I wasn't trying to say *nix systems were as vulnerable as Windows systems.

They aren't totally immune either..I know there are some services like fetchmail which are vulnerable, I believe some web services too..but that wasn't my point.

My point was...you can be an unwilling spreader. Some files that travel across the internet, such as e-mail or Office Documents (since *nix users often use OpenOffice) for example, some of us realize they are traveling across platforms. IMO it's being aware of this...and taking prudent action to help prevent spreading of the bugs.

as steve said above

the thing is linux was built from the ground up with security in mind (a.k.a. Unix) due to being a multi user OS from the start and never running as root

it not like windows where it total opposite

there will always be exploits and hacks if not patched, that one can use to try and hack into the box, but as far as viruses, worms, malware, that windows has, you are not going to see it no matter how popular it gets.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

interesting thread this has turned out to be, thanks for all the advice everyone.