Thread: Debian? Linux server?

Debian? Linux server?

I am looking for linux as a server.

I was looking at debian?

Any thoughts/suggestions or suggested reading?

Any info will help I am trying to set up a dialer server to support say 30 people.

This is a side project that I can take my time to learn about.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Dialer server? What other purposes?
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Dialer server? What other purposes?

A predictive dialer for a outbound call system. A dialer that uses voip.
    I plan on using Gnudialer.org. The dialer needs to be able to manage call pacing for about 30 or less people. And handle list management. Other thing such as tsr stats would been nice but not need.

Right now this is all above my head. So any help/reading would be nice.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

I setup a Windows server for a telemarketing company....that has a predictive dialer package. Approx 20 workstations setup on it. The software package was from Russia (at least their support is) (can find out their name if you want). Haven't done one on a *nix distro though.

Any other servers on the network? The one I mentioned above..is on Small Business Server..which does file storage, print serving, e-mail (exchange), shared fax, My Docs redirecting for backup....there's a *nix imitation of it called ClarkConnect
    http://www.clarkconnect.com/
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Windows would be fine also I was looking at linux because the software called for it. I would be very interested in taking a look at that software. Going with windows would save me some time.

This only needs to be a simple dialing sever. My goal is to set up a cheap ip dialer for telemarking purposes. Could you maybe tell what was involed in setting up the windows server. Any special hardware need? Will it support voip?

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyboycool View Post
    This only needs to be a simple dialing sever. My goal is to set up a cheap ip dialer for telemarking purposes. Could you maybe tell what was involed in setting up the windows server. Any special hardware need? Will it support voip?
    I did the Small Biz Server..because it's what I usually push...the office has other needs (listed above)...a business network should always have good file storage, backup, e-mail, etc etc. If you're talking 30x nodes...is there at least one other server there to handle those needs? I know you're focused on the pred dialer..but a business office has other needs....storage of My Docs, sharing documents, spreadsheets, mail, remote access, etc etc.

This place I setup had a T-1 in just for VoIP...the internet was on DSL. I didn't get involved in the telephony stuff...I stay away from that... I just did the server, switch, workstations, router, antivirus, and setup remote access (the guy who originally set it up left VNC running wide open..server with no password )

I'll dig up info next week.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Thanks YeOldestonecat that would be sweet. Theses people keep thier dialer and office system separate. They are a small business that has been running for about 40 years. Really most of thier stuff is done on paper. I am surrounded by filing cabinets.
    Last edited by jeremyboycool; 02-16-07 at 08:07 PM.

Debian servers are as rock solid as they come. Not bleeding edge but increadably stable.

Cool cool thanks for the feed back Sid and YeOldestonecat.

I prefer debian distros as well and agree with Sid

If you have time to learn Linux I would seriously do that.