Thread: Vista Network Map

Question Vista Network Map

How are you Speedguide pros doing? I have not been here is a while but I'm back with a Vista Network Map question. I was looking to post an image of my Vista Network Map but I don't see how or is this not enabled for us noobs?

I have 3 PCs on my network:

* 2 Desktops Hardwired on Suddenlink (Formally Cox) Cable using
    Cable modem and LinkSys BEFS41 Router.

* 1 Laptop with Dell TrueMobile 2300 Wireless Broadband Router

Everything seems to work fine (I can see and share files and printer on all 3 PCs). I just have a general question in hopes of learning a bit more.

When I look at the Network Map in Vista Network Center it shows my 2 hardwired PCs connected (via horrizontal lines) to the Switch (My Linksys Router) and then the Router connected to the Gatway (My Cable Modem, I assume) and then the Cable Modem connected to the Internet

The Laptop with the Dell 2300 is shown (monitor Icon) on the bottom of the network with no lines connecting it to the other 2 PCs or the Switch, Gateway or even the Internet. There is a statement below the mobile monitor icon that states "The following discovered device cannot be placed in the map."

Since the Dell 2300 is connected via cable to my Linksys Router why does the Network Map not show this or the 2300?

Desktop 1 __________\______Switch_____Gateway____Internet
    Desktop 2 __________/

Mobile

Thanks for any comments.
    Rookie (some day)

Advanced Member
    Are both routers setup for DHCP and doing NAT? If so I would bet it just can't traverse back into the other network, just out to the internet.

Besides which I wouldn't trust that utility to much. I tried it on my complex network and it just totally left out a few devices. If everything works as it should then I would just forget about it.

Thanks Erik for the feedback. Everything works fine but I'm overly **** retentive and thought perhaps there was a setting that might make it show correctly. As you suggest, I'll take a look at the routers to see how they're set up for DHCP.

I've had this Linksys BEFSR41 Router for several years and just wondered if it might need to be replaced.

Thanks again.
    Rookie (some day)

Advanced Member
    Nothing wrong with the BEFSR41, still a perfectly good router for a home network that doesn't need wireless. I just installed one a few months ago for a client. I find them easy to use and reliable. I would only conisder upgrading if you have mega internet bandwidth (>10MBps).

Quote Originally Posted by ErikD View Post
    Nothing wrong with the BEFSR41, still a perfectly good router for a home network that doesn't need wireless. I just installed one a few months ago for a client. I find them easy to use and reliable. I would only conisder upgrading if you have mega internet bandwidth (>10MBps).
    Thanks very much for the comments Erik.
    Rookie (some day)

I found the solution. Don't know if other are concerned about this but if you're very **** retentive like me then here's the solution to show your entire network map: (Found under Help Support for Network Map)

Network Map Does Not Display Computers Running Windows XP
    When you run Network Map, computers running Microsoft Windows® XP do not appear on the completed diagram.

Cause
    Network Map in Microsoft® Windows Vista™ diagrams the connections between network devices to help you troubleshoot connectivity problems. Network Map uses a discovery protocol called Link-Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) in order to query the other devices on the network to determine how the network is organized. Computers running Windows Vista include the software components that implement the LLTD protocol. For other devices on the network to be placed on the map, they must have a discovery protocol enabled that can respond to the mapping computer's requests.

Solution
    For computers running Windows XP to appear on the Network Map diagram, you must download and install the LLTD Responder component. With the LLTD Responder, a computer running Windows XP can respond to other Windows Vista computers on the network that are attempting to create a network map.

To install the LLTD Responder to a computer running Windows XP

1. Download the update for Windows XP from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=70582

2. Run the update on the computer running Windows XP that you want to appear on the Network Map.

3. On the Software Update Installation Wizard, click Next.

4. On the License Agreement page, read the license agreement, and if you agree to the terms, click I Agree, and then click Next.

5. On the final page of the wizard, click Finish.

6. If you are prompted to do so, restart your computer.

7. After your computer running Windows XP restarts, generate a new Network Map with the computer running Windows XP included.

Now the Network Map draws my entire network including my wireless router and its connection to my Linksys router.
    Rookie (some day)

PatjeOO7

Modem THOMSON Speedtouch not visible

I have a simular question/problem as Rooki :
    In the network map all my PC (even those with Win XP thanks to LLTD ) and my router (Linksys) are visible, but not my modem THOMSON Speedtouch
    How can i fix this problem ?

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by PatjeOO7 View Post
    I have a simular question/problem as Rooki :
    In the network map all my PC (even those with Win XP thanks to LLTD ) and my router (Linksys) are visible, but not my modem THOMSON Speedtouch
    How can i fix this problem ?
    It's not a problem...it generally only looks at your local network...the true broadband modems are bridges...and outside of the routers network..hence they aren't seen.

Original poster here probably put his router behind another router that he thought was just a modem..hence it's seen as a gateway. Generally you only want 1x router doing your NAT..and that's also your gateway.

Also what name it gives your router, if it sees it at all, depends upon the router itself...if it's new enough to support UPnP, what version firmware, etc.

Don't get to caught up in the Vista network map...it's almost exciting at first...but that lasted about 3 seconds with me...and if something doesn't show up...as long as the network has functionality..>I don't worry about if I can't "see it" or not in network places.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!