Thread: My vista experience-non gaming rig(long)

My vista experience-non gaming rig(long)

Just thought I would share my vista install and few days of running experience.
    PC Specs. 939 MB,AMD X2 4800, Raid 0 2x74 gig Raptors( ),Radeon 256meg ATI video,1 Gig ddr2, liteon cdrw 48x and ritemaster 18x DVDRW. Extra internal storage is 160 sata drive and 60gig WD 7200 ata100.

For Vista I temp installed the WD 60gig on a ata 100/133 cable.
    I left all drives plugged in and booted from the DVD. Upon rebooting to Vista (still during final installation) it would lock up. I then unplugged all drives except the 60gig for vista. Got vista up and running then plugged the other drives in.
    NOTE: STill have XP on the raid 0 drives as primary OS. Just use Bios bootmenu to pick raid boot or IDE 60 gig VISTA drive boot.
    Vista was up and running decent.
    Starting loading more MB drivers. Had some troubles getting the Promise raid drivers to load.
    I had to manually pick the drivers. Vista picked the wrong ones by default.
    Had to keep reverting to winXP to see what specs I had. My promise raid drivers were -Fast track 579. Got them loaded from factory CD and finally able to see the raid 0 drives.
    It loaded my ATI radeon drivers but the sometimes fail loading upon bootup. I get the yellow exclaimation. When the do load the video is faster rather then choppy.IF they fail to load it loads standard SVGA drivers

Hardware for the most part is 100% except for video once in a while not sure on this one yet.

Pros- Nice graphics(eye candy) I really like it. Aero -not sure full potenial. I can windows and tab and get the angled windows. I have to hold my windows key down. When I let go they go back to normal.

Cons- Software- Fighting with some proggys. DVDsanta does not see my DVD wiriter.
    Not sure on this one. With win XP for quicktime movies I get the snow dots on my screen. media player plays flawless.
    Not from fresh vista install. I picked a local vis and media player has the snow dots and quicktime is flawless. Go figure any advice on this. For quicktime I goto there previews for up and coming movie trailers.

MIRC seems buggy. From theIE packets website it would automatically load MIRC and join the chat room. IE tries to open another window and fails.

Big Item thats annoying is all the permissions. "do you want to allow this" etc....... some items it pops up 2 or more times.

I am struggling with IE7. I had a profile for my wife setup with her email and own desktop. All was good until see went to log into her work site. She works for the state of Florida. The site claims it not compatible with IE7 yet. should be by end of first quarter of 07. So back to win xp w/IE6X.

The system overall was a tad slower but I feel that was do to the slower drive. I love the raid 0 but a few month back some of you may remember when I messed up and lost everything. Brief on that. I was poking around my HDD plugs with power on and I must have bumped one of the sata cables. That was it!!!...computer rebooted on its own and the raid confiuration was gone.
    after a few days of trying to get backon line nogo. I had to redo the raid setup and reinstall win XP.

overall I want to get up and running with Vista. Wife is a nogo until her work site is compatable. I understand this.

I know this was long winded

Just wanted to give some perspective from a non biz and non gamer setup.
    Last edited by BOWTYE8; 02-12-07 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BOWTYE8 View Post
    Just thought I would share my vista install and few days of running experience.
    PC Specs. 939 MB,AMD X2 4800, Raid 0 2x74 gig Raptors( ),Radeon 256meg ATI video,1 Gig ddr2, liteon cdrw 48x and ritemaster 18x DVDRW. Extra internal storage is 160 sata drive and 60gig WD 7200 ata100.

For Vista I temp installed the WD 60gig on a ata 100/133 cable.
    I left all drives plugged in and booted from the DVD. Upon rebooting to Vista (still during final installation) it would lock up. I then unplugged all drives except the 60gig for vista. Got vista up and running then plugged the other drives in.
    NOTE: STill have XP on the raid 0 drives as primary OS. Just use Bios bootmenu to pick raid boot or IDE 60 gig VISTA drive boot.
    Vista was up and running decent.
    Starting loading more MB drivers. Had some troubles getting the Promise raid drivers to load.
    I had to manually pick the drivers. Vista picked the wrong ones by default.
    Had to keep reverting to winXP to see what specs I had. My promise raid drivers were -Fast track 579. Got them loaded from factory CD and finally able to see the raid 0 drives.
    It loaded my ATI radeon drivers but the sometimes fail loading upon bootup. I get the yellow exclaimation. When the do load the video is faster rather then choppy.IF they fail to load it loads standard SVGA drivers

Hardware for the most part is 100% except for video once in a while not sure on this one yet.

Pros- Nice graphics(eye candy) I really like it. Aero -not sure full potenial. I can windows and tab and get the angled windows. I have to hold my windows key down. When I let go they go back to normal.

Cons- Software- Fighting with some proggys. DVDsanta does not see my DVD wiriter.
    Not sure on this one. With win XP for quicktime movies I get the snow dots on my screen. media player plays flawless.
    Not from fresh vista install. I picked a local vis and media player has the snow dots and quicktime is flawless. Go figure any advice on this. For quicktime I goto there previews for up and coming movie trailers.

MIRC seems buggy. From theIE packets website it would automatically load MIRC and join the chat room. IE tries to open another window and fails.

Big Item thats annoying is all the permissions. "do you want to allow this" etc....... some items it pops up 2 or more times.

I am struggling with IE7. I had a profile for my wife setup with her email and own desktop. All was good until see went to log into her work site. She works for the state of Florida. The site claims it not compatible with IE7 yet. should be by end of first quarter of 07. So back to win xp w/IE6X.

The system overall was a tad slower but I feel that was do to the slower drive. I love the raid 0 but a few month back some of you may remember when I messed up and lost everything. Brief on that. I was poking around my HDD plugs with power on and I must have bumped one of the sata cables. That was it!!!...computer rebooted on its own and the raid confiuration was gone.
    after a few days of trying to get backon line nogo. I had to redo the raid setup and reinstall win XP.

overall I want to get up and running with Vista. Wife is a nogo until her work site is compatable. I understand this.

I know this was long winded

Just wanted to give some perspective from a non biz and non gamer setup.
    Nice to hear that while Vista has some problems to work around, you're enjoying the new system. I think that once you get to use it for a while and get the kinks worked out, using an XP machine will feel like taking a big step backwards.