Thread: making internet safe for young kids

making internet safe for young kids

my niece is 10 years old and her grand parents allow her to use the internet at their home some times, they are on cable so they get pretty good speeds.

what steps do i need to take to make the internet save for her, or should she just be supervised while online ?

knowing how much adult crap is out there, and how easy it is to get sent to inappropriate sites for kids i would not like her to get bombarded with adult content.

could i make a separate account for my niece and some how lock it down, or what ?

http://www.fbi.gov/kids/k5th/safety2.htm

There are some very important things that you need to keep in mind when you're on your computer at home or at school.

* First, remember never to give out personal information such as your name, home address, school name, or telephone number in a chat room or on bulletin boards. Also, never send a picture of yourself to someone you chat with on the computer without your parent's permission.

* Never write to someone who has made you feel uncomfortable or scared.

* Do not meet someone or have them visit you without the permission of your parents.

* Tell your parents right away if you read anything on the Internet that makes you feel uncomfortable.

* Remember that people online may not be who they say they are. Someone who says that "she" is a "12-year-old girl" could really be an older man.

Kids' Rules for Online Safety

I will not give out personal information such as my address, telephone number, parents’ work address/telephone number, or the name and location of my school without my parents’ permission.

I will tell my parents right away if I come across any information that makes me feel uncomfortable.

I will never agree to get together with someone I "meet" online without first checking with my parents. If my parents agree to the meeting, I will be sure that it is in a public place and bring my mother or father along.

I will never send a person my picture or anything else without first checking with my parents.

I will not respond to any messages that are mean or in any way make me feel uncomfortable. It is not my fault if I get a message like that. If I do I will tell my parents right away so that they can contact the service provider.

I will talk with my parents so that we can set up rules for going online. We will decide upon the time of day that I can be online, the length of time I can be online and appropriate areas for me to visit. I will not access other areas or break these rules without their permission.

I will not give out my Internet password to anyone (even my best friends) other than my parents.

I will check with my parents before downloading or installing software or doing anything that could possibly hurt our computer or jeopardize my family’s privacy

I will be a good online citizen and not do anything that hurts other people or is against the law.

I will help my parents understand how to have fun and learn things online and teach them things about the Internet, computers and other technology.

http://www.safekids.com/kidsrules.htm

thats guys, anything else i can do ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    thats guys, anything else i can do ?
    Intot he control panel and you can manually adjust security settings....trusted sites/restricted sites etc....it'll help a little....turn google safe search on ( i think it is by default)