Thread: Branson offers $25 million prize to fight climate change

Branson offers $25 million prize to fight climate change

I couldn't find any other global warming threads and figured this might be ok to post. I'd hate to ruffle any feathers so if this bothers you, let me know and I'll leave it up.

LONDON British tycoon Sir Richard Branson on Friday announced a $25 million prize for the scientist who comes up with a way of extracting greenhouse gases from the atmosphere.
    The Virgin Group chairman was joined by former Vice President Al Gore and other leading environmentalists, as he announced the challenge to find the world's first viable design to capture and remove carbon dioxide from the air.

A landmark report by the world's leading climate scientists and government officials, published in Paris last week, warned global warming will continue for centuries, creating a far different planet in 100 years.

"Man created the problem, therefore Man should solve the problem," Branson said. "Could it be possible to find someone on Earth who could devise a way of removing the lethal amount of CO2 from the Earth's atmosphere?"

Branson compared it to a competition launched in 1675 to devise a method of estimating longitude accurately. It was 60 years before English clock maker John Harrison discovered an accurate method and received his prize from King George III.

"The Earth cannot wait 60 years. We need everybody capable of discovering an answer to put their minds to it today," Branson said.
    Mad Props to Branson.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science...te-prize_x.htm

War the US government can't win = Iraq
    War the US people can't win = Global Warming

Quote Originally Posted by downhill View Post
    I couldn't find any other global warming threads and figured this might be ok to post.
    LOL